Autopsy 2023 AFL Draft - Day 1 & 2 Kickoff at 7pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies, Cats and Eagles are upset, so Academy changes on the cards :rolleyes:

I think when a northern club develops home grown talent, they should be given every opportunity to add them to their list.

However, they should pay a fair price too which I don't think GC did. Personally I think the points system needs a re-jig and a good starting point would be to abolish the 20% discount. I think the GC would've still got their boys without the discount but would've had to work much harder and give up more prior to the draft.

I think when a northern club develops home grown talent, they should be given every opportunity to add them to their list.

However, they should pay a fair price too which I don't think GC did. Personally I think the points system needs a re-jig and a good starting point would be to abolish the 20% discount. I think the GC would've still got their boys without the discount but would've had to work much harder and give up more prior to the draft.

In most ways I agree with this. On the surface, the Gold Coast have made out like bandits. We've done well out if it too in other years but not to this extreme. 10-12 mediocre picks does not equate to 4 elite players.

However, the whole competition is stuffed in terms of equalisation and fairness. Does this one win from Gold Coast balance out all the other unfair, unequal elements of the competition? I honestly don't know what the answer is but it feels like the northern academies will have this one win removed while fighting the bundle of other obstacles and disadvantages that the traditional teams won't ever have to worry about.

Pies, Cats and Eagles are upset, so Academy changes on the cards :rolleyes:

And as always, my reply to these calls:

Publish every single third party deal and have it as a part of the cap....

Don't agree. The discount makes up for the years when the academy yields SFA despite all the effort and cost. Has anyone worked out what each of the Northern Academy draftees has cost to bring into the system? In addition, every academy kid drafted means a Vic, SA or WA kid is available to their home state, usually at zero cost to them.
Who did we get in 2021/22? Edwards Cat B. No-one in the National or Rookie Drafts.
They can't see past the end of their noses.
GC got lucky in the gene pool. Some other decent players go back on the market.

Swans didn't get a fair price on Dawson
Suns didn't get a fair price on Lynch
Suns didn't get a fair price on May
Honestly the list goes on

Swans didn't get a fair price on Dawson
Suns didn't get a fair price on Lynch
Suns didn't get a fair price on May
Honestly the list goes on
You can add a hole lot more names from gc gws and swans. Need to add a 20 percent loading salary cap wise to players returning to their home state.If you offer 500 000 to returning player. 600 000 is counted in the cap.Across the board. EQUALISATION... counts for every team. Then we can gauge the outcry.

You can add a hole lot more names from gc gws and swans. Need to add a 20 percent loading salary cap wise to players returning to their home state.If you offer 500 000 to returning player. 600 000 is counted in the cap.Across the board. EQUALISATION... counts for every team. Then we can gauge the outcry.
20 percent points loaded on top of losing clubs pick also

(Log in to remove this ad.)

is this the most physically developed AFL draft class ever? Some big units, the GC kids in particular all look ready to go.
Looking more like a junior wallabies group.
1700608761881.png

I can fix it straight away. How about the academys use the same selection criteria as the NGAs and we can't match under pick 40. That will stop the bleating from the Vic clubs. However, if an academy player is selected by another club then that club must pay the cost of the academy for the next 12 months (approx $1mil).

If the academy has more than one player selected in the top 40, then the first player selected qualifies the club to pay for the next year's academy costs but subsequent players will also qualify their clubs to pay the same amount, but to be applied as an increase in the salary cap for the next year of the club who produced the player.

I can fix it straight away. How about the academys use the same selection criteria as the NGAs and we can't match under pick 40. That will stop the bleating from the Vic clubs. However, if an academy player is selected by another club then that club must pay the cost of the academy for the next 12 months (approx $1mil).

If the academy has more than one player selected in the top 40, then the first player selected qualifies the club to pay for the next year's academy costs but subsequent players will also qualify their clubs to pay the same amount, but to be applied as an increase in the salary cap for the next year of the club who produced the player.
I'll amend this (thinking on the run). The club that produces the player has the opportunity to match if they have an unused pick in the same round. For example, Swans Academy player is bid on at pick 5 - if Swans have a 1st round pick up their sleeve they can match it, if not then the previous scenario will apply. If there are two academy players expected to go in the first round then the Swans will have to hold two 1st round picks for matching, or will have to choose which player they want to keep and which player to let go to qualify for the Academy costs as above.

Not that I want to speak this into existence, but one of those stank clubs below us would be stupid not to grab Sam Reid before us. Think about a team like Freo or Essendon who need all the decent talls they could get. I know it's not the done thing but would Reid really say no? Would depend on his family situation I guess

West Coast are upset?

They took almost exclusively Vic kids in the draft, ignored the WA talent & then they’ll be moaning furiously in a few years time when the Vic clubs come waving Cotton-On cheques.

West Coast is like watching a train-wreck in slow motion.

And I love it.

Not that I want to speak this into existence, but one of those stank clubs below us would be stupid not to grab Sam Reid before us. Think about a team like Freo or Essendon who need all the decent talls they could get. I know it's not the done thing but would Reid really say no? Would depend on his family situation I guess
A grumpy Sam Reid who doesn’t want to move would not be a prudent recruit.

Especially if he didn’t fancy the local drive-thru.

I've always wanted the AFL to be a truly national competition but the Victorian clubs (and fans for that matter) have been so pathetic that I'm at the point now where I don't want a national comp, I want all the Vic teams folded and pissed off to North Korea

Remove this Banner Ad

Back