Autopsy 2023 AFL Draft - Day 1 & 2 Kickoff at 7pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Which is why I think we traded up for him as we knew he would not be available in the rookie draft.
Except we probably didn’t need to do the trade. I guess there was a small chance someone else would take him. But a small chance.

Still, clubs throw future picks round like confetti so I guess the cost wasn’t much.

Beatson has said that he likes to ask questions that puts draftees out of their comfort zones. Arie must have failed badly.

In job interviews I often asked applicants to present and answer questions on a work screw up. Those who analyse work and their role in it love the questions. Those only happy to yap about their glorious achievements hate the question and flounder. Some denied they had ever been involved in a screw up.

Beatson does the right thing imo.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where are we at with list spots. Fox can’t be a rookie….. we have a cat A and B spare??

Fox will be promoted to the senior list to open up a rookie list spot to select Sam Reid as a Cat A rookie.

Then we will have a Cat B selection which seems likely to be Indi Kirk.

So other spots opens to be filled as will are now at 37 for the senior list, Reid will make it the maximum 5 Cat A's (alongside Buller, Arnold, Magor and McAndrew) and Kirk (or someone else from our academy) will make it 2 Cat B's (alongside Edwards)

Maybe my nephew will get the remaining Cat B spot.
Versatile. Has played everywhere from half back to wing to centre square to half forward. Mainly DEF/Wing.
Good skills.
Good decision maker.
Late developer.
Dedicated trainer.
Plenty to work with.
Premiership player this year with UNSW-ES.
You listening Kinnear?

Should be an option for kids to pass on Brisbane. Training for AFL in their heat from Christmas to first round is frankly employee abuse. I'd rather stay in WA and go well in the WAFL then spend the year playing for Brisbane reserves.
I live 10 minutes from their new training ground. They often train at night and their day drills are inside in the air-conditioned gym

There were 64 players drafted
60 were born in 2005
1 was born on christmas eve in 2004 - Fonti, picked by the Giants
the other three were born in 2002, 2003, 1997 - All geelong!

Great post.

Interesting the comparison to Lloyd. I agree they share a lot of traits, particularly endurance, but I wonder if Kirk can/will learn to use it. I haven't really seen him run with the ball much and actually take long strides and cover meterage with the ball the way Lloyd does.

I guess we differ on the extent to which we think Kirk has demonstrated these attributes. I agree he doesn't yet run as relentlessly as Lloyd, but I can't remember if 19yo Lloyd ran that relentlessly either.

I do think Kirk demonstrated both at the National Championships and at VFL level a willingness and ability to run from contest to contest, and back into defence to help out.

He played a game early in the 2023 VFL where I would have had him as in our best half dozen on ground. Admittedly that was in our "rabble phase" so it wasn't hard to be in the best half dozen players. But he showed up several listed AFL players for effort and effectiveness.

PS. It's remarkable you got the username 'liz.' Surely you feel pretty elite about that!
I don't understand this observation. You might need to be less oblique.

Possibly asked some very tough questions.

If a train departs Central station at 8:34am how many dodgy trolley wheels are needed to get a full refund at 7:3am before the train departed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back