Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 149 36.4%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.3%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.2%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.5%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fresh this morning - an early trade option that seemed to have stalled now being spoken about again, mainly because WC are very keen on Curtin and North have locked in on Duursma & McKercher.

WC trades pick 1 to us for pick 4 & F1, then trades pick 4 & F1 to North for pick 2&tbd (possibly 15&F2
We have 1, WC 2, North 3&4.

WC get Curtin and another 1st rounder this year plus an early 2nd next year (meaning they would have picks 21&22 in 2024).
North still get their men this year plus an extra 1st next year.
We get Reid.

The AFL would allow the trade to go through as it would help the bottom two struggling clubs.
2024 draft currently seen as a deep draft on quality mids.

Harley Reid is what we need.
Pay the Price™

Let's be clear, North have all the ammunition they need to get pick 1 if they want it. 2&3 is more than enough.

Edit: Why would North give up pick 2 if they want McKercher? WC no guarantee to take Curtin with pick 2 any more than with pick 1. McKercher would be a dream pick up for them.
I'd say they have intel that WC will take Curtin if they doesn't take Reid. Maybe stronger intel than we've got, and we've heard exactly that.
The whole point of this trade by North is to get another first next year so it can go to the draft with two top-five picks again.
Their members want results so since they're not getting them on the field, they can 'win' the draft each year :)

To be honest, and in all seriousness there's an opinion here that North were never really that interested in Reid for more than pick 3 & 18.

I'd say they have intel that WC will take Curtin if they doesn't take Reid. Maybe stronger intel than we've got, and we've heard exactly that.
The whole point of this trade by North is to get another first next year so it can go to the draft with two top-five picks again.
Their members want results so since they're not getting them on the field, they can 'win' the draft each year :)

To be honest, and in all seriousness there's an opinion here that North were never really that interested in Reid for more than pick 3 & 18.
If that opinion is even close to accurate then that explains why they are where they are on and off the field. They need Reid desperately. They can get him and still retain 2 more first round picks. Mind blowingly stupid. Gold Coast suns level.

I would be extremely surprised if North trade for #1.
They will keep both 2&3 and also receive 8 off Geelong.
Contrary to KeeperLeaguer inside info that we are making a play for 1 will not happen.
Demons are also set on a player at #6.
I can’t see anyone trading within the first 6 to 7 picks.
TAkE iT tO tHE BanK

Great, so in this scenario Geelong end up benefiting from the AFL assistance package by gettable multiple firsts from North for pick 8, the year after they got a salary dump pick 7 for not having to take on any salary. A team that has been in finals for years and years, and which equalisation is supposed to balance out. Great system AFL.

Why don’t West Coast just keep our future 1st and take Curtin at pick 4?
Seeing North have locked in McKercher and Duursma as there priority?
Or is there still a chance North are bluffing as Clarko did with Richard Tambling?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why don’t West Coast just keep our future 1st and take Curtin at pick 4?
Seeing North have locked in McKercher and Duursma as there priority?
Or is there still a chance North are bluffing as Clarko did with Richard Tambling?

We don't know if North are bluffing but neither do WC and if they are that desperate they're not going to gamble on their player. If they really want Curtin they wont do any deal that doesn't get them pick 2 at least.

Am i right in think all the screening etc. has finished and that all the information we have on players has already been collected? If so, what is driving all the new rankings coming out? Just the news cycle or have journos been able to get recruiters drunk at spring carnival events and adjusted accordingly? 🤔

Am i right in think all the screening etc. has finished and that all the information we have on players has already been collected? If so, what is driving all the new rankings coming out? Just the news cycle or have journos been able to get recruiters drunk at spring carnival events and adjusted accordingly? 🤔
Mate, the new rankings are just the old rankings rehashed. Occasionally some journo will get creative and mix things up just for the twittertalkback. Otherwise two weeks would pass with little footy content and the poor journos might lose their jobs.
Everything is done and every club knows who they want and who they might possibly get so all we're doing now is working out ways to accomplish this.
Hence the deals.

Quite a few WA boys in that 15-25 range.

Can only see us gaining access to pick one if Eagles wanted to do an Adelaide style rebuild and start by selecting local talent only which would mean they would be wanting more picks in that 15-25 range.

Just the (repeat) news cycle.

Nothing has changed. No more games played. No one has grown 6 inches or had their handspan dramatically widen.

In fact, aside from some combine testing and interviews, absolutely nothing has changed in the past 6 weeks.

Just people (moonlighting as journalists) being paid to generate content.

FWIW I've said from the very start that the Eagles are just using the Hawks as a plan B to keep the Shinbeggers honest. If i were you guys I'd be backing ourselves to retain Reid but being a country Vic lad who knows.
Yeah. The way I see it is drafts come around every single year, but first access to player's like Reid are extremely rare.

WC need more young talent, but they'll be down for a bit more and will have plenty of good picks to split should they choose. This year just doesn't seem a good year to do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Keeper Leaguer,
I would just like to give you a big thank you for your incite into the upcoming draft and the trade period and keeping it interesting for a nuffy support like myself!
It has been a real point of difference this year!

Personally I agree. I'd probably go Curtin if it was up to me but the Wiz is also so appealing. Either will be playing seniors in 2024, Wiz straight in Round1 100% maybe Curtin 80%.

I suspect that we take best available at 4 (5), so if Curtin is higher on our draft board then that's who we should draft. As much as I, and others, would love to see Watson in Brown & Gold it's not up to us. I'll back our guys in on who they select either way. If we were knocking on the door of finals our draft order may look a little different and we might select who we think will have an immediate impact, but this isn't the case just yet.

And, KeeperLeaguer as someone who was overseas during Sept and Oct, I really appreciated your input over that period too. Don't let the few detractors get you down!

I suspect that we take best available at 4 (5), so if Curtin is higher on our draft board then that's who we should draft. As much as I, and others, would love to see Watson in Brown & Gold it's not up to us. I'll back our guys in on who they select either way. If we were knocking on the door of finals our draft order may look a little different and we might select who we think will have an immediate impact, but this isn't the case just yet.

And, KeeperLeaguer as someone who was overseas during Sept and Oct, I really appreciated your input over that period too. Don't let the few detractors get you down!
Duh

And there's the reason a lot of people don't contribute to this board like we used to. Thanks for the childish response. I will go back to just reading the Board.

Yeah if WCE don't move off pick one then there is absolutely no way they don't take Reid.

He's a generational talent and the best player to come through the draft in years (based on what he's shown at that level).

Worst case for them is that he wants to move back to Melbourne in a year or two, in which case every single Melbourne club will be willing to offer up a king's ransom to bring him home.

Yeah if WCE don't move off pick one then there is absolutely no way they don't take Reid.

He's a generational talent and the best player to come through the draft in years (based on what he's shown at that level).

Worst case for them is that he wants to move back to Melbourne in a year or two, in which case every single Melbourne club will be willing to offer up a king's ransom to bring him home.
He'll end up at Geelong if he happens to be at WCE and wants to move back to Vic.

Personally I agree. I'd probably go Curtin if it was up to me but the Wiz is also so appealing. Either will be playing seniors in 2024, Wiz straight in Round1 100% maybe Curtin 80%.
With the way it’s going with trading for anyone 195cm+, you’d think Curtin has more value than Reid. Plus, our young midfield has quite some depth already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Back