Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 150 36.5%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.1%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 51 12.4%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.4%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not quite the point.

Small forwards 'generally' struggling in finals when the pressure goes up is absolutely no reason not to draft Watson, who is coming into the AFL next season as potentially the highest rated and most talented junior of his position in history.

Fair point - I didn't follow the chain all the way.

If we are set on Curtin surely the demons 6+11 is tempting with news bulldogs will pass on him ? We should get what's left from osullivan , leake, Wilson, sanders , without the need to trade our f1.

Don't shoot the messenger but just by chance I spoke to a couple of people who are closely involved with the upcoming draft and both said they rated Ryley Sanders above Harley Ried and are surprised his name is not mentioned more regarding our pick. He did win the Lark medal for best player in the National Championships. Do not be surprised if his name is called out Monday.

Plenty of people would rate Sanders 2023 season > Reid. Myself included. Thought he was fantastic in every game he played.

99.99% of recruiters would rate Reid's upside in five years > Sanders.

The latter is the reason why Reid is going pick 1 and Sanders wont.

In hindsight, North getting pick 3 for McKay has given the Hawks a better position to attract offers from other clubs and improve our draft hand. Near the end of the elite 5/6 players in this year's draft which gives us high bargaining power.

I am happy with any of the players in our range as l watch a lot of the under 18 leagues and championships so will get a high quality player regardless of who we pick.

I personally would pick Curtin as he along with Reid are two of the most versatile players in the draft and they don't grow on trees. Any highlights package of Curtin shows his ability to play anywhere on the ground. His evasive skills in a tight space are rarely highlighted for someone of his size.

My gut feel says Watson and would be more than happy with him. To me it's the obvious choice as he has spent time with the boys and would assume has built a relationship with the young group and has participated in our training programs the last couple of pre seasons. Sam & Co would know already what areas he needs to work on and what type of person he is. Big advantage going into the draft.

I'm just going by what he said in an interview. Not making it up.
Posters keep on claiming Daniel sees himself as a midfielder and yet when I had a good conversation with him at the draft combine, without hesitation he told me he sees himself as a defender and went on to talk about the role he played in the WAFL and how much he enjoyed it.

All of the talls we've taken in the top 10, Bud and Rough aside, have been absolute busts.

Not saying Curtin will be, but the height metric means squat.
Our track record in drafting small forwards post Cyril/Breust/Puopolo is pretty poor.

Butler, JOS, seamus, morris, Hardwick etc is a reasonable amount of draft capital for not one guy who yet looks like being a v good small forward (jury still out on butler, Jos and obviously Hardwick moved back). Moore the one success but he’s a high hf (arguably a different role).

He also said the only thing that could stop him winning a flag in his first three seasons is the Caledonian mafia's grip on "Big Footysocks".

Maybe we back the footy club to figure out the best position for him instead of just what gets said in post-match interviews.
I mean that is fair and all. But if the kid has his heart set on a career in the midfield and we want him to play KPD then it can be an issue of West Coast/Freo coming to him with a big contract and the chance to play midfield. Players are willing to change clubs if it means they can play in their preferred position.

Wizjizzers say this👍
Posters keep on claiming Daniel sees himself as a midfielder and yet when I had a good conversation with him at the draft combine, without hesitation he told me he sees himself as a defender and went on to talk about the role he played in the WAFL and how much he enjoyed it.

Our track record in drafting small forwards post Cyril/Breust/Puopolo is pretty poor.

Butler, JOS, seamus, morris, Hardwick etc is a reasonable amount of draft capital for not one guy who yet looks like being a v good small forward (jury still out on butler, Jos and obviously Hardwick moved back). Moore the one success but he’s a high hf (arguably a different role).

Everyone bar Butler was a high pick. I say that as I'd argue that Mitchell wasn't a small forward, but a HFF instead. I suppose you could say the same for Butler too.

He will be available at 6 if we don’t take him.
4 - demons would take Watson
5- dogs to take sanders
6- hawks get Curtain

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hard to say who Melbourne are keen on at that pick if Duursma is gone. Pickett and Watson would be a dynamite combo. They may need to refresh their midfield with someone like Sanders.

I understand they like Leake, who plays a similar style to Duursma, when he's playing as a forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't shoot the messenger but just by chance I spoke to a couple of people who are closely involved with the upcoming draft and both said they rated Ryley Sanders above Harley Ried and are surprised his name is not mentioned more regarding our pick. He did win the Lark medal for best player in the National Championships. Do not be surprised if his name is called out Monday.
I don't think that is the view of our club - otherwise, why would they be chasing pick #1?

I’m sure Sicily would’ve said he was a forward when we drafted him. I’m sure like the vast majority of players he will be happy playing where the team needs him.
Most probably yes. And i would be as happy as anyone if we played him down back and he became an amazing key back for us.
Its just something that went through my head when i saw that quote from him.

I'm not trying to be smart, but of course his name will be read out on Monday.

Guess it depends who we think demons would take at 4.
Wiz
Apparently the Demons have come hard for him late😳

Yep WB will not take Curtin as too many talls in recent years
5- dogs to take sanders
6- hawks get Curtain

I say this every year, but I really wish clubs or the AFL would do videos on the draft process, the lead up to the draft and of course draft day itself. Take us inside the war rooms. NFL clubs do it, and I find it really interesting to watch.

Would be so much better than that player agent puff piece show they put out.

Connor O’Sullivan looms as the point of interest for me.

I actually think he’s a better pure defender than Curtin and after he supposedly added around 6kg to his 200cm frame this year it’s no surprise that around 6-7 clubs are very interested in him.

Is our pick too high for him? Maybe.

But I certainly see a world where it happens. It all really depends on where we see McCabe playing his footy. If we see him as a key defender (which is a possibility given that DGB is touted as a forward now), then I don’t think we will take Curtin and pick Watson instead.

5- dogs to take sanders
6- hawks get Curtain

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If we went down this path and traded F1 for pick 8 then that is 6, 8 and 11 in the draft as well as McCabe. Might get us Caddy if he gets past the Giants.

Risk of the Crows or Bombers screwing us though at 9 or 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Back