Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 149 36.4%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.3%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.2%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.5%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

If we are set on Curtin surely the demons 6+11 is tempting with news bulldogs will pass on him ? We should get what's left from osullivan , leake, Wilson, sanders , without the need to trade our f1.
that would be amazing result. I think some people think o'sullivan will be better fit for us than curtin. Getting at least one of o'sullivan, curtin, caddy would be amazing, if get 2 from that group or combine say o'sullivan/curtin/caddy with one other good player wilson/windsor that should be better than just one good player. nothing against trading f1 but probably not necessary or it may mean swap of f1. people are saying next year will not have good kpp.

If we went down this path and traded F1 for pick 8 then that is 6, 8 and 11 in the draft as well as McCabe. Might get us Caddy if he gets past the Giants.

Risk of the Crows or Bombers screwing us though at 9 or 10
if you trade F1 for pick 8 this year, you would hope it is swap of F1, we get Geelong's F1 or worst case their F2. If we end up with pick 2 or 3 next year, it would unfair to just trade for pick 8 this year. Look how hard people need to move up to top 4 this year and what they need to give up. It is also getting a bit greedy, I would have thought pick 6 & 11 with Mccabe, Dear should be enough.

if you trade F1 for pick 8 this year, you would hope it is swap of F1, we get Geelong's F1 or worst case their F2. If we end up with pick 2 or 3 next year, it would unfair to just trade for pick 8 this year. Look how hard people need to move up to top 4 this year and what they need to give up. It is also getting a bit greedy, I would have thought pick 6 & 11 with Mccabe, Dear should be enough.
I liked the scenario mentioned earlier where if Duursma is off the board we look to take on demons offer of 6 +11 (plus later picks for 4 (plus later picks) especially if they like Watson. We still get Curtin (dogs won’t take him).. then get 11 for Wilson (good wing prospect).. if we could get 6 and 11 and F1 for 4 And our F2 Id junp at that..

I liked the scenario mentioned earlier where if Duursma is off the board we look to take on demons offer of 6 +11 (plus later picks for 4 (plus later picks) especially if they like Watson. We still get Curtin (dogs won’t take him).. then get 11 for Wilson (good wing prospect).. if we could get 6 and 11 and F1 for 4 And our F2 Id junp at that..

If we end up rating Curtin over Watson then we should definitely explore this option - provided we are sure the Doggies or Melbourne aren't keen on Curtin either.

If we end up rating Curtin over Watson then we should definitely explore this option - provided we are sure the Doggies or Melbourne aren't keen on Curtin either.
We don’t know who other clubs will pick. We trade for 6 and Melbourne take Curtin or trade it to West Coast for their future 1st and Dogs take Watson we are screwed.

What I want to know is how do you know the WB won’t take him? Us all pretending like we know what there draft board would look like is just guess work. Like Ned Ryerson has told us a gazillion times the past couple of days (jokes) Curtin is like the most versatile player since Roughie so why would they dream of passing on him.

What I want to know is how do you know the WB won’t take him? Us all pretending like we know what their draft board would look like is just guess work. Like Ned Ryerson has told us a gazillion times the past couple of days (jokes) Curtin is like the most versatile player since Roughie so why would they dream of passing on him.
Yep. Remember Sydney let it be thought they had locked DGB in for months ahead of the draft.

Like @Ned Ryerson has told us a gazillion times the past couple of days (jokes) Curtin is like the most versatile player since Roughie so why would they dream of passing on him.

I get it’s a joke but I never said anything close to that - I said he’s more versatile than Watson and that he’s openly stated he models his game on a bloody elite swingman so those thinking he only wants to play midfield might be mistaken.

We don’t know who other clubs will pick. We trade for 6 and Melbourne take Curtin or trade it to West Coast for their future 1st and Dogs take Watson we are screwed.
We certainly aren’t screwed with 3 first round picks inclduing McCabe that’s hyperbolic but I understand you mean missing top 5. The trade only gets done in the event north take Duursma or do something Norf like. Dees we would know who they want and I doubt anyone is live trading then reneging that’s far worse than the PSD threat as a negotiating tactic. Dogs aren’t taking Curtin it’s Watson or sanders obviously. So at 4 we will know who we get at 6 and make the call. Only exception is if Watson Sanders and Curtin are available to the dogs but that would mean Norf would have taken O’Sullivan at 3 - surely not even Norf?

Connor O’Sullivan looms as the point of interest for me.

I actually think he’s a better pure defender than Curtin and after he supposedly added around 6kg to his 200cm frame this year it’s no surprise that around 6-7 clubs are very interested in him.

Is our pick too high for him? Maybe.

But I certainly see a world where it happens. It all really depends on where we see McCabe playing his footy. If we see him as a key defender (which is a possibility given that DGB is touted as a forward now), then I don’t think we will take Curtin and pick Watson instead.

Frankly, if Reid, Duursma and Curtin are all gone before our pick I would be happy to trade with Western Bulldogs (IFF we "know" that they won't pick O'Sullivan) to try and pry another pick out of them and then pick COS. We need a key position defender (along with McCabe) and based on what he says in the article, he's open minded as to where he will play. If we think that WB would pick COS then we just pick him at #4. Unless it's Reid, we don't need another mid and KPP's don't grow on trees. Sam would love his versatility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone needs to do themselves a favour and read through Caleb Daniel's draft write ups, as he is the only fair comparison to Watson in the past 10 years.

All the tools to be a star, elite skills, elite endurance, above average speed - he dominated inside and impacted forward, and showed more versatility than Watson has so far. His U18 year he dragged SA across the line in their final 2 matches, one against a Petracca led Vic Metro's side where he had 21 disposals @ 86% efficiency, a monster 217 rating points. Kicked 3 goals from the midfield, dobbed a monster one from outside 50.

He slid to the third round, which was very clearly much too late for him to be picked up, but it also was vindicated in a way because despite all the talent in the world height has clearly been a massive limitation for him. If he were 20cm taller he'd be one of the best players in the AFL, but he's not and he has been pigeon holed as a half back for his entire career.

It is a genuine concern that similar will happen to Watson, which is a particular risk given we wouldn't be getting him for a bargain like the Dogs did with Daniel.

Well said and great example. Whichever way you slice or dice it - a 170cm player is far too big a risk at pick 4

It is subjective. The fact that the club has not traded their pick 4 for 6&11 or 10&14 or 7&16 would suggest like perhaps most of you that top 4 is premium. You could make an argument that say a O'Sullivan/Caddy + Wilson/Windsor is upgrade to just Dursma. Especially if talls take longer to come on and we end up with higher pick naturally next year. I suspect a Dursma/watson will make us better next year. The fact that we are talking about all these players suggests we are more than just 1 or 2 players away from premiership, it is how you approach it that is the key.

Assuming Eagles decide to use pick 1, then I'm praying we walk away with a haul of;

Wiz (Pick 4)
Curtain (live trade with Dees/GWS or Cats)
McCabe
Tew
Dear (rookie draft)
Wingard (rookie draft)
Stephens (rookie draft)

Why are people so caught up with Watson's lack of height?
He's quick, super talented and gutsy- that's all that's needed.

How often do big blokes get drafted then struggle once they are no longer playing against kids?

I'd add he also is a superior reader of the flight of the ball and game flow in general. That will win him alot of opportunity that a 'regular' little guy might just be in the mix for competing for, and if he's as clean as he looks gathering and getting himself square looking at goals then he's going to be far far far better than your average smaller player.
He'll see a ball tumbling a bit from 40m away and have a feel for getting to the drop area before others can see it happening.
Similarly when the Sherrin gets a little sail on it he'll find the outside position from which to jump from and give himself a nice ride and strong overall marking position.

I reckon he's elite.
While I'm a bit of a Curtin fan boy I don't reckon there's any chance the Wiz flops and isn't a very damned good and important football player for the team that drafts him. He'll change the outcome of a game by himself, and 3-4 of those in a season can get you not just into Finals but win games that get you to the biggest dance.

I really hope we get one of him, Curtin or Dursma.

We certainly aren’t screwed with 3 first round picks inclduing McCabe that’s hyperbolic but I understand you mean missing top 5. The trade only gets done in the event north take Duursma or do something Norf like. Dees we would know who they want and I doubt anyone is live trading then reneging that’s far worse than the PSD threat as a negotiating tactic. Dogs aren’t taking Curtin it’s Watson or sanders obviously. So at 4 we will know who we get at 6 and make the call. Only exception is if Watson Sanders and Curtin are available to the dogs but that would mean Norf would have taken O’Sullivan at 3 - surely not even Norf?
We need one A grader not 2 B graders

Assuming Eagles decide to use pick 1, then I'm praying we walk away with a haul of;

Wiz (Pick 4)
Curtain (live trade with Dees/GWS or Cats)
McCabe
Tew
Dear (rookie draft)
Wingard (rookie draft)
Stephens (rookie draft)
I think we have to take dear as last pick in national draft now that we have nominated him

I don’t know how anyone can watch that then say they want Curtin. It boggles my mind.
That highlight package of the Wizard is pretty underwhelming as a small forward. No spectacular marks or miraculous goals (maybe I need to stop dreaming about Poppy and Cyril in their prime). Bursting away from centre bounces was great but not exploding directly away from tacklers was concerning instead side stepping out of trouble. I hope we take him over Curtin (not Duursma if available) because he will bring much needed goal scoring power and excitement factor to our team which we desperately need but people need to temper expectations a little of what Nick will do at AFL level against bigger stronger quicker bodies.

I’m glad your so definitive on players careers before they are drafted. I’m picking osullivan and Wilson for exactly that reason and McCabe likely also. I’m also not as bullish after Duursma on our selections being A graders either so would rather take 2 shots.

We took M Lewis with pick 76, our main key forward who is injury prone. Ollie Murphy (key defender), archer reid (key forward) are meant to go in the 30s. Whose to say they could not make it? let alone Caddy (key forward) o'sullivan (key back) who are supposed to go pick 9 & 10. I get the point though, assumption is higher up the draft order, higher chance of A grader. Sicily (pick 56), Puopolo (pick 56) say high. There are other small forwards by the way, apparently Phoenix is a good small forward too with speed, pressure and tackle. Having said all that I suspect club will take best available at pick 4, many think will be Watson, we will see.

I’m glad your so definitive on players careers before they are drafted. I’m picking osullivan and Wilson for exactly that reason and McCabe likely also. I’m also not as bullish after Duursma on our selections being A graders either so would rather take 2 shots.
spot on, do we have premier key forwards and key backs to take us to a premiership? they also take longer to develop, in the meantime till that happens we will be slightly lower down the table to get access to higher picks or split. As I said in another post, who is to say Ollie Murphy, Archer reid will not make it, who are supposed to go in 30s. I am no expert and throwing names around, but we have had example where with late picks got gems, let alone top 30 players.

Every club is desperate to trade up in this draft. You don’t trade down from your highest pick in 18 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Back