Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 149 36.4%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.3%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.2%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.5%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

The more I think about it, the more I think if Duursma and Watson go 2 and 3 that we could talk ourselves into putting the Dogs in an awkward spot and bid on Croft as we could justify that he's the best option for us if they pass on him.

Who is the next best genuine KPF in the draft after Walter and him? What could WB feasibly do in that spot?

Croft into Watson, we have talls this year coming but need one more elite kpf, but an elite small that can play everywhere with burst speed is exactly what we need to replace.

We can always get a free agency signing if some of the talls don’t come on or we take Croft as a 200cm key forward if bulldogs don’t bite.

If WC keep pick 1, they're taking Reid. North may be gunshy about picking an interstate kid after JHF, so let's say they go for Duursma and McKercher.

Which leaves Curtin at our pick. The best rated KPD in the draft, who is already a decent size. Sounds bloody good to me.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Can't see us taking him over Watson.

I think we rate the players in order:
Reid
Duursma
Watson

Don’t be surprised if we take the best talent which will be at our pick.. Mckercher.

Reid, Duursma, Curtin all likely to be gone by our picks.

Dogs seem confident Watson will be on the board at their pick.

It makes next year interesting if we have a surplus of midfielders - especially come trade time.

Don’t be surprised if we take the best talent which will be at our pick.. Mckercher.

Reid, Duursma, Curtin all likely to be gone by our picks.

Dogs seem confident Watson will be on the board at their pick.

It makes next year interesting if we have a surplus of midfielders - especially come trade time.
McKenzie and McCartney always say we will pick best talent with our early pick and need with later ones. In spite of this most hypo thread posters insist we will use pick 4 on a needs basis.
Anyway, on draft night we can always make our own judgement as to what finally transpires.

I don't think we're in a position to choose. Must always take best available. Always.

Knowing Sam, Curtin if taken, will likely transform into a bigger bodied midfielder.
100%. You don’t risk missing an absolute star because we are sitting 16th on the ladder and are missing a certain type or have a surplus elsewhere.

Curtin into our midfield would put our average height in there at well over 190cm at most centre bounces, and I can’t help but think that’s going to be an advantage going forward.

Would still love Watson though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Curtin into our midfield would put our average height in there at well over 190cm at most centre bounces, and I can’t help but think that’s going to be an advantage going forward.

Would still love Watson though.

Any more posts about height….. and I’m deleting them.

Pretty sure when I wrote similar last year and it disappeared 😂

I'm salivating at the prospect of drafting Duursma.

Imagine a Bailey Fritsch on steroids that can also go into the midfield and dominate.

Delicious
Kicking sh*tloads of goals seems to be a severely underrated trait in a recruit. This guy is going to kick a lot of goals. I'm keen.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Imagine a Bailey Fritsch on steroids that can also go into the midfield and dominate.

Delicious

Problem is unless North trade their picks they’ve locked in Duursma (I don’t get much info but take this to the bank).

Think we should be discussing Watson or Curtin unless something unlikely happens.

Problem is unless North trade their picks they’ve locked in Duursma (I don’t get much info but take this to the bank).

Think we should be discussing Watson or Curtin unless something unlikely happens.
If Norf don't trade 2&3 the Eagles will come back to us for our previous offer which I hope we downgrade

Imagine a Bailey Fritsch on steroids
that can also go into the midfield and dominate.

Delicious
Essendon did exactly this. That's why they're trying to trade up to get him!

*sorry Spike, Bailey Fritsch on vitamins...

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Back