Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 149 36.4%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.3%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.2%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.5%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wouldn't draft a Tasmanian McKercher if its a 50/50 call. Hopefully in 4 years time we are playing finals and if its the same compensation as free agency compensation would be minimal. Think he will slide to the dogs. Dursma is the ideal player, north compensation pick really hurts. Hopefully they trade pick one for Reid, eagles take Curtain, North Mckercher. Likely we get the Wizard.

Wouldn't draft a Tasmanian McKercher if its a 50/50 call. Hopefully in 4 years time we are playing finals and if its the same compensation as free agency compensation would be minimal. Think he will slide to the dogs. Dursma is the ideal player, north compensation pick really hurts. Hopefully they trade pick one for Reid, eagles take Curtain, North Mckercher. Likely we get the Wizard.

It wont be. Tassie will be given a suite of high picks that they will have to spend on players. He'll get more than he is worth, not less

Expanding the catalogue of Connor O'Sullivan games. This was from early in the season before he was settled down as a key defender. Here we see him start in the midfield at the first center bounce, but play most of the game as a roaming key forward presenting up to the wings as a marking target. Overall, a good example of his versatility as a talent with size, speed and agility paired with excellent endurance and work rate.

We've got the most plausible offer IMO.
North trading 2&3 is insanity on their part.
I'm not writing us off for Reid until it's over.
I imagine WCE would (or at least might) accept at least ONE of pick 2 or 3, and then the three other first rounders.

Has anyone got any reports/info on how Watson looked when he trained with us last off season? I recall seeing him in the background of a video but not much else.

Expanding the catalogue of Connor O'Sullivan games. This was from early in the season before he was settled down as a key defender. Here we see him start in the midfield at the first center bounce, but play most of the game as a roaming key forward presenting up to the wings as a marking target. Overall, a good example of his versatility as a talent with size, speed and agility paired with excellent endurance and work rate.

I've been one of the less enthusiastic posters about C.O. and was hoping to see something that would change my mind.

I just don't see a top talent in anything he has done so far.
He may well be worthy of pick 10 in this draft, which confirms to me the view that the quality falls off steeply after the top 8-10.
Caddy is projected to be taken later than O'Sullivan by some, which would be a huge bargain IMO.

What are O'Sullivan's elite traits?
He's a good size, moves well, and is versatile - but what does he do to an elite standard?
Nothing. Not an elite mark, kick, not much evidence of him dominating his opponent, or reading the ball well in the air etc

He's a good prospect, but top 10?
This draft is really weak, and especially so for KPP, if that happens.

I've been one of the less enthusiastic posters about C.O. and was hoping to see something that would change my mind.

I just don't see a top talent in anything he has done so far.
He may well be worthy of pick 10 in this draft, which confirms to me the view that the quality falls off steeply after the top 8-10.
Caddy is projected to be taken later than O'Sullivan by some, which would be a huge bargain IMO.

What are O'Sullivan's elite traits?
He's a good size, moves well, and is versatile - but what does he do to an elite standard?
Nothing. Not an elite mark, kick, not much evidence of him dominating his opponent, or reading the ball well in the air etc

He's a good prospect, but top 10?
This draft is really weak, and especially so for KPP, if that happens.
Agree. I don't see any elite traits in O'Sullivan. I have the same opinion with Duursma, nothing really stands out.

Hoping we take Watson, think he's the standout. Plays round 1, and will kick at least 35 goals if he plays the 23 games.

Hawks will need to be prepared for a top 10 bid for McCabe. He looks two times the player O'Sullivan is in my opinion, and is the best KPP player in the draft discounting Walter, and Curtin being a midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really rate this guy. Massive upside

The more I think about, trading 4 for the Dees 6 and 11 is very tempting. If we could leave the draft with Caddy, McCabe and O’Sullivan from the first round, that would be huge.
Not sure you get both at those but I rate Ollie Murphy as a good get if osullivan wasn’t there.

The more I think about, trading 4 for the Dees 6 and 11 is very tempting. If we could leave the draft with Caddy, McCabe and O’Sullivan from the first round, that would be huge.
Depends if the club rates who's available at 6 i suppose. 6 will be 7 and 11 will be 13 with the Read and Walter bids. Will need to be certain McCabe isnt selected before 13.

serious question/s from someone who does not see anything special: what do you see in this guy? What are his elite qualities?
Hi Chad,

Similar to what I saw with weddle last year. I love high-end athleticism when projecting growth for under 18s in the afl. Afl is obviously a quicker game so players who can transition the ball quickly are highly valued at the next level.

For osullivan, his agility and speed are extremely good for someone his size. Obviously his tank is also good (another AFL non-negotiable).

Another thing I like is that, as a defender, he is very proactive in his positioning. He puts himself in line with the ball and looks hard to shift off it once he is there. This is also critical for a kpd (see sicily for good, dgb for horrible). He doesn't probably have that elite afl skill like DGB had coming out of the under 18s (sticky hands), but with his size, shape (big frame to fill out) and mix of speed, endurance and agility, he has massive scope.

Another underrated quality is that he racks up the football. Averaged around 20 in Coates talent league. This is very good going for a tall and is translatable to afl level.

It wont happen. There's a very real risk McCabe could be bid on early in which case pick 11 will be swallowed up. You can argue he probably wont but the club can't take that chance.
That basically means we'll have swapped pick 4 for pick 6. We've already dismissed it.

Looking at it another way, as TD pointed out there's a good chance we'll get a player we want with 4 whether it's Duursma or Watson. At 6 those chances drop sharply.

It wont happen. There's a very real risk McCabe could be bid on early in which case pick 11 will be swallowed up. You can argue he probably wont but the club can't take that chance.
That basically means we'll have swapped pick 4 for pick 6. We've already dismissed it.

Looking at it another way, as TD pointed out there's a good chance we'll get a player we want with 4 whether it's Duursma or Watson. At 6 those chances drop sharply.
That’s on the basis you keep 11. I think lions would cough up their f1 and more for 11 for example. If we are in the market for a big play next year like Ben King having 2xf1 would be a good idea and 6 might get us Curtin or worst case Caddy or osullivan.

Hi Chad,

Similar to what I saw with weddle last year. I love high-end athleticism when projecting growth for under 18s in the afl. Afl is obviously a quicker game so players who can transition the ball quickly are highly valued at the next level.

For osullivan, his agility and speed are extremely good for someone his size. Obviously his tank is also good (another AFL non-negotiable).

Another thing I like is that, as a defender, he is very proactive in his positioning. He puts himself in line with the ball and looks hard to shift off it once he is there. This is also critical for a kpd (see sicily for good, dgb for horrible). He doesn't probably have that elite afl skill like DGB had coming out of the under 18s (sticky hands), but with his size, shape (big frame to fill out) and mix of speed, endurance and agility, he has massive scope.

Another underrated quality is that he racks up the football. Averaged around 20 in Coates talent league. This is very good going for a tall and is translatable to afl level.
thank you.
He's definitely moves well and is competitive.
To be clear: I don't think he's a spud by any stretch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Back