Opinion 2023 AFL Draft Prospects

Who do you want for our first pick at the AFL Draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Koltyn Tholstrup (Subiaco) is one of my early favourites, along with Reid obviously.

Hopefully he gets more of a run through the midfield this year, he is that strong and explosive type that can turn a game on its head.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Koltyn would immediately be the worst name on our list

Colby McKercher seems the goods, but I’d be really hesitant to use a top pick on a Tassie kid.
And he'd give Koltyn a run for his money as the worst name on the list.

Koltyn would immediately be the worst name on our list
I'm more worried about drowning if our entire supporter base attempts to say his last name at the same time

I didn’t watch the games but …

Jordan Croft (Calder) just the 1 goal from a free kick right at the end of the game but was listed in Calders best players. Had 11 disposals and 4 marks vs. averaged 6.7 disposals and 2.4 marks across 9 games last year.

Luamon Lual (GWV) also in the best players, had 19 disposals, 2 behinds, 2 rebound 50s and an equal game high 6 inside 50s

Would be such a treat if these 2 develop but just not quite enough to be bid on early by other teams (appreciate Lual might not matter if academy rules stay as top 40 vs top 20).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn’t watch the games but …

Jordan Croft (Calder) just the 1 goal from a free kick right at the end of the game but was listed in Calders best players. Had 11 disposals and 4 marks vs. averaged 6.7 disposals and 2.4 marks across 9 games last year.

Luamon Lual (GWV) also in the best players, had 19 disposals, 2 behinds, 2 rebound 50s and an equal game high 6 inside 50s

Would be such a treat if these 2 develop but just not quite enough to be bid on early by other teams (appreciate Lual might not matter if academy rules stay as top 40 vs top 20).
Draft watchers right now have Lual in their top 30. I don't think we're going to get him unless we draft him outright

Draft watchers right now have Lual in their top 30. I don't think we're going to get him unless we draft him outright
Internally Dogs would move picks around to secure Lual
That's how highly they rate him

Sshhh!!

92cfce12-7f5e-4d8b-832a-36d099d5b841_text.gif

Let’s hope others rise ahead of him if the cut off doesn’t change.

But sounds like we rate him highly enough to consider drafting him regardless.

Last edited:
Let’s hope others rise ahead of him if the cut off doesn’t change.

But sounds like we rate him highly enough to consider drafting him regardless.

If internally the dogs are going to move picks around for Lual, the dogs might be able to try to trade down one of our early picks to find a long term replacement for Libba.
McAuliffe draft write up sounds a lot like libba lite( i don't think anyone could replace what's Libba brings)

AFL Draft 2023 April Power Rankings​

18. Luamon Lual
19. Kane McAuliffe

North Adelaide/South Australia
MID, 187cm, 90kg SANFL U18s: 2 games, 31 disposals, 7 clearances

An inside midfielder with an appetite for the contest, McAuliffe has strong hips to break tackles and great timing with his hands to release runners. He makes quick decisions and has also shown ability forward of centre to add another string to his bow.

FYI for those interested in a more well informed view.

Davo-27 can you please tell me more about Croft and where you’re projecting he might attract a bid? I think he got the 1 goal from a free kick right at the end but interested if he was staying deep or working up the ground, ability to impact when the ball hit the deck, etc. (or whatever else you noticed)

He is very athletic for a 200cm forward, was active in the first half taking some good marks, most seemed Contested, very quick on the lead, not the best set shot kick, but seems to have a good instinct for general play, I was surprised he was goaless until that free kick, either missed or didn't make the distance earlier in the game, he has a lot of AFL traits like height, speed, marking ability, good understanding of where team mates are, took the forward ruck duties ect, I'm not sure yet where to rate him, I would need to see more but he should get drafted imo.

He stayed mostly inside 50 for most of the game, was impactful early, but then had a tight defender after half time which restricted his influence a bit, until the free kick and goal he got in the last quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 2023 AFL Draft Prospects

Back