Game Day 2023 AFL Draft - The Late Male Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

How is it possible that Carlton take Cerra, and we settle on their first round
yet McDonald is supposedly worth 2 first rounders?
The clubs here are even more disadvantaged than the AFL love children.
WC with pick 1 and then 30 after two years of hell for their fans.
Sure they have had success but since Covid the imbalance of the league has
ensured that WA is just seen as a cash cow.
You are absolutely right. And also - it won’t be popular on this board but this petty rivalry we have with the WCE is doing neither side any favours in the broader scheme of things.
The VFL love nothing more than dividing and conquering of the two WA clubs. There is no sense of working together to advocate for mutually beneficial outcomes for both clubs. The SA Clubs could be involved too.
Fremantle
West coast
Adelaide
Port Adelaide

Are all shafted by the VFL comp in similar areas. Why aren’t they coming together as a block to push though things that are in their interests as one unified voice?

How is it possible that Carlton take Cerra, and we settle on their first round
yet McDonald is supposedly worth 2 first rounders?
The clubs here are even more disadvantaged than the AFL love children.
WC with pick 1 and then 30 after two years of hell for their fans.
Sure they have had success but since Covid the imbalance of the league has
ensured that WA is just seen as a cash cow.
McDonald is worth 2 first rounders that are 18 and 15. Cerra went for pick 6. They are probably going to be around the same value talent wise

If walls is in charge then I can't put it to zero unfortunately

Do we know if Sydney has any old Carlton boys that he will bend to (or played with) like SOS?
Walls is not that bad.

I can understand the Luke Jackson trade.

We all got hot and bothered about the 2nd round pick. Perhaps the parties were well aware of the compromised draft. We were expecting to finish much better than we did but even still:
34 > 42, 57 isn’t a lot of difference.

He was always going for 2 first rounds.m, especially considering the 2022 pick being 13 (15).

With Cerra it was 6 (8) + F3 (~45). We wanted a F2 but being out of contract didn’t have the ground to stand on.

Logue went for an early 2nd plus change. PSD a genuine threat from North. They were desperate to land a freebie last year.

Langdon a second round upgrade and F2. Slightly better than Henry. We wanted the end of first round (ended up pick 28) but that was never on the table it seems.

He could push a little harder for those out of contract but the deals to bring players in haven’t been Terrible (could be better I agree). We paid up for LJ but our ladder finishing position was a major factor for that. 1-2 more wins and the deal becomes much improved for us. Trading in Hogan the person was the issue not the trade cost. His form at the moment shows how decent a football player he can be.

We know what we’re dealing with once the season ends.

Two first round picks and possibly some other sort of pick upgrade will get the job done. Similar to what the parties likely anticipated the LJ deal was supposed to prob look like:

15 + 13 + 2nd > early third

Anything more and we are loaded with change apparently so he goes to PSD.

Sounds like he is a good chance of re-signing anyway.

Walls is not that bad.

I can understand the Luke Jackson trade.

We all got hot and bothered about the 2nd round pick. Perhaps the parties were well aware of the compromised draft. We were expecting to finish much better than we did but even still:
34 > 42, 57 isn’t a lot of difference.

He was always going for 2 first rounds.m, especially considering the 2022 pick being 13 (15).

With Cerra it was 6 (8) + F3 (~45). We wanted a F2 but being out of contract didn’t have the ground to stand on.

Logue went for an early 2nd plus change. PSD a genuine threat from North. They were desperate to land a freebie last year.

Langdon a second round upgrade and F2. Slightly better than Henry. We wanted the end of first round (ended up pick 28) but that was never on the table it seems.

He could push a little harder for those out of contract but the deals to bring players in haven’t been Terrible (could be better I agree). We paid up for LJ but our ladder finishing position was a major factor for that. 1-2 more wins and the deal becomes much improved for us. Trading in Hogan the person was the issue not the trade cost. His form at the moment shows how decent a football player he can be.

We know what we’re dealing with once the season ends.

Two first round picks and possibly some other sort of pick upgrade will get the job done. Similar to what the parties likely anticipated the LJ deal was supposed to prob look like:

15 + 13 + 2nd > early third

Anything more and we are loaded with change apparently so he goes to PSD.

Sounds like he is a good chance of re-signing anyway.
Not just 1-2 more wins. If it was a normal year, 10 wins gets us 11th or 12th, not 14th and the LJ pick ends up at 10.

I don’t even think we should be trading two.
He is very much worth two firsts. Very talented player.

Whether he's worth more or less depends on where those picks fall.

We won't find a gun KPF that's ready to impact the way McDonald is in 2025/2026. Amiss/McDonald is Hawkins/Cameron level in 2-3 years. We'd have the best two KFs from WA in 10 years and we'd have both for a very long time too.

Happy to enjoy having Odin on the list, but most of this draft haul are statistically long shots to make it as regular best 22. Treacy is also from the rookie list, so it is possible.

I'm fine if the club rates MacDonald and pays a couple of first rounders depending where they fall.

I could see him working well with Amiss and Treacy. I also think we need to aggressively force our way into finals contention.
If we grab McDonald and have Amiss and a developing Jones as key forwards then Treacy had better put in a big year. Jones will spend next year at Peel but hopefully gets a run at some time. Imagine him in 2 years after spending time in the gym.

If we grab McDonald and have Amiss and a developing Jones as key forwards then Treacy had better put in a big year. Jones will spend next year at Peel but hopefully gets a run at some time. Imagine him in 2 years after spending time in the gym.
Who is Jones?

Nvm, I think you should just call him Odin in the future to avoid confusion with the weird name.

What if we beat port in prelim and pies in gf and with academies it's picks 21 22 23
At the time we trade picks they will be something like 15,17,18.

I really doubt we’ll see a repeat of 2023 with compo like Ben McKay and 5 academy picks in the first round. There is possibly F/S again.

Same applies if trade two of them the highest and the lowest.

15, 18, F3 > LM, F4

I
Would like to see Tracey in the midfield half back pushing his weight around as a solid option.

Why would we have not done this? I had assumed we could only use a LTI for one spot. Huge plus to have a second spot, though I expect us to keep one for the MSD.
It's hard to get him off the spot if we fill it, will need another injury to open up for him

Limits our msd chances if we fill it too

But I think it's the right call, atleast just to get 4 train ons

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd think they won't fill the spot, they'll just use it to increase the numbers they can choose from. Although I suppose given he didn't do his knee till mid July 12 months post that there is only 7 / 8 game left in the regular season: They might take a punt there will be someone else to put on the LTI by that point.

You'd think they won't fill the spot, they'll just use it to increase the numbers they can choose from. Although I suppose given he didn't do his knee till mid July 12 months post that there is only 7 / 8 game left in the regular season: They might take a punt there will be someone else to put on the LTI by that point.
I think you’re right, we’ll likely hold it over for the MSD and see how his rehab is progressing, means we can sign Sharp straight away and trial 4 for the remaining spot we do fill.

It wouldn't stop him being able to play for peel though would it?
I'd have thought it would. As usual the rules are ambiguous:

26.4 Duration on Long Term Injury List
(a) An injured Player transferred to a Club’s Long Term Injury List is ineligible to play in the AFL Competition or a State Body competition for a minimum period of 6 weeks, commencing from the day on which the General Counsel gives his approval for the injured Player to transfer to the Club’s Long Term Injury List.
(b) A Club is unable to transfer an injured Player to its Long Term Injury List, after 2.00pm on the Thursday following Round 18 of the Home and Away Matches in each year (or after such other time determined by the General Counsel).

It doesn't explicitly say you can't do it

However I'm thinking this rule means implicitly you can't

5.10 Rule Extends to Associated Clubs
(a) Except as provided in Rule 5.10(b), a Club shall not permit or invite an Unlisted Player to:
(i) train with an Associated Club;
(ii) undertake Testing conducted by or on behalf of an Associated Club; or
(iii) complete any Survey conducted by or on behalf of the Associated Club.

Edit: What I'm saying is as you can't play AFL when you're on the LTI, rule 5.10 implies you can't play state league while not on the list.

Anyway there is no way Sebit would have agreed if it meant he couldn't play when recovered. You have to agree to go on the list, they can't just put you on it. That much is clear in the rules at least.

I'd have thought it would. As usual the rules are ambiguous:

26.4 Duration on Long Term Injury List
(a) An injured Player transferred to a Club’s Long Term Injury List is ineligible to play in the AFL Competition or a State Body competition for a minimum period of 6 weeks, commencing from the day on which the General Counsel gives his approval for the injured Player to transfer to the Club’s Long Term Injury List.
(b) A Club is unable to transfer an injured Player to its Long Term Injury List, after 2.00pm on the Thursday following Round 18 of the Home and Away Matches in each year (or after such other time determined by the General Counsel).

It doesn't explicitly say you can't do it

However I'm thinking this rule means implicitly you can't

5.10 Rule Extends to Associated Clubs
(a) Except as provided in Rule 5.10(b), a Club shall not permit or invite an Unlisted Player to:
(i) train with an Associated Club;
(ii) undertake Testing conducted by or on behalf of an Associated Club; or
(iii) complete any Survey conducted by or on behalf of the Associated Club.

Edit: What I'm saying is as you can't play AFL when you're on the LTI, rule 5.10 implies you can't play state league while not on the list.

Anyway there is no way Sebit would have agreed if it meant he couldn't play when recovered. You have to agree to go on the list, they can't just put you on it. that much is clear in the rules at least.
Yeah, it's awfully vague.

There's a 6 week period where they can't play from the date of going onto the list. and it seems that 5.10 was added to include partner clubs as well. But it only states they can't train, test or be surveyed by said club. Noting about playing.

At the time we trade picks they will be something like 15,17,18.

I really doubt we’ll see a repeat of 2023 with compo like Ben McKay and 5 academy picks in the first round. There is possibly F/S again.

Same applies if trade two of them the highest and the lowest.

15, 18, F3 > LM, F4
Well I think you might be disappointed. I haven’t looked too closely at next years draft but already I can tell you Tyler Welch, Levi Ashcroft and the Camporeale twins are all projected as first round FS selections.
Then there is apparently two more Gold Coast academy prospects highly rated. I’m sure there’s a couple more from Sydney or GWS too there always is. Add a few first and end of first round compo picks from free agency and you are well into the 20s from the start of Round 2 again.
There is also the north end of R1 priority pick they traded out to Sydney for Dylan stephens. That pick is still in the draft order.
Yeah I expect the opening selection of Round 2 next year to be right into the late 20s again.

The best clubs right now are going small in their forward line.
Collingwood & GWS would be my Top 2.
GWS just recruited another small with their first pick.
Good smalls like Collard, Hill, Shultz etc can make a massive difference.
Toby Greene etc

Last edited:
The best clubs right now are going small in their forward line.
Collingwood & GWS would be my Top 2.
GWS just recruited another small with their first pick.
Good smalls like Collard, Hill, Shultz etc can make a massive difference.
Toby Greene etc

Collingwood are small from necessity not preference. They have no real A grade talks and instead built a game plan allowing their smalls to flourish. It is no indication that you can’t use talks with PA, Brisbane and Adelaide all having in form keys and scoring well because of it.

Bit misleading to imply smalls are the key to success, obviously they will help any team, but Coll and GWS simply are using what they have and recruiting talent. One look at the Coleman says the best way to kick goals is to have a good key and a game plan that allows a forward line to be deadly, regardless of personnel size.

Rhino reporting that the NGA pick matching will move back to pick 20 next year. That doesn’t solve the problem however. The suns and co will still be able to get a heap for first round academy picks 🤬

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2023 AFL Draft - The Late Male Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back