Game Day 2023 AFL Draft - The Late Male Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

McClure is a w***er. The fact that the toast got pick 1 and pick 30 and won the spoon, shows the draft is no longer working imo.
Reckon Freo did just as well, when considering needs and wants

McClure is a w***er. The fact that the toast got pick 1 and pick 30 and won the spoon, shows the draft is no longer working imo.
Reckon Freo did just as well, when considering needs and wants
I get the sentiment, and think our draft was top notch, but we would trade all of our draftees for Reid.

Plenty of coaches have a "kill one to teach the herd" mentality. Our former coach was one.

They only need to think that the message to the playing group and the hope or unity it brings is worth more to the success of the club than the one player who is cut out.

Gold Coast didn't lose their games on the wing.
Not sure the method worked for Dew. He was one killed in the end.

Sharp whatever the reasons didn’t get a look in with two coaches. Seems the most recent coach had an interest in keeping him on but Dew and King did not. My read as mentioned earlier is that he was on the fringe of 23 selection but with the knowledge he was leaving and OOC that he didn’t get a look in. Otherwise would have been more like the previous year and you never know once in the team you can play 4-5 like Henry early season then get dropped and never return or make the most of the opportunity. The silver lining is Henry got that second chance that he would potentially not have got with Sharp present and made the most of it. We end up getting a F2. St Kilda’s 2023 2nd round pick ended up 39. Yes I know they got end of first round (which ended up 28 - Collard) which I’m sure we asked for but was never on the table. I for one prefer F2 to pick 39 in 2023. If Sharp came in the 2022 trade period and Henry never got that second chance we would have been a stretch to get a F3.

GC didn’t bat below pick 38 when they went into the draft. As such it now makes a bit more sense why they didn’t trade Sharp for a F3. No way we were giving up any of the F2’s we had at that point. One was used to bring in JOM and the other has helped secure a F1 2024 (Port). Sharp makes his way to us via SSP rookie list at no cost.

I think there’s a fair chance we’re quite shite this year tbh.

Imagine being last of the ladder and not having a spot to use in the MSD. I don’t think we’ll be that bad (especially given West Coast and North) but a high MSD pick seems to be a chance to add what is probably a second round level talent to the rookie list for free. After that you’re just adding standard rookies in the MSD imo.

If it were up to me I’d just trial four small forwards from the state leagues and select the best one. We might genuinely be looking at two players though - Voss and Beattie are very different players yet we’re trialling both.
I’m not a massive fan of MSD. The best selections have still been mature aged ready to go players like Noble and Pickett.

I do agree that the best options generally fall in the first 4-5 options and thereafter it is slim pickings.

I think we did well out of the current one gone with Stanley sliding after being an expected Hawks early selection.

Take for example the excitement a couple of years ago over Jacob Edwards (ruck/forward) selected by North. The clubs getting all excited about such a bargain available in MSD. North couldn’t call out his name quick enough. He amounts to nothing - delisted now not playing a single game and showing bugger all in VFL.

I think Maric at West Coast and Robert Hansen-Jnr at North were solid pick ups. I liked Walls’ approach that they had four players on their list and if all four were gone then they tap out. Those four if I remember in order:
Maric, Hansen-Jnr, Stanley, Hunter.

I think it’s worth holding over a pick but I wouldn’t get too hung up about MSD.

Not sure the method worked for Dew. He was one killed in the end.

Sharp whatever the reasons didn’t get a look in with two coaches. Seems the most recent coach had an interest in keeping him on but Dew and King did not. My read as mentioned earlier is that he was on the fringe of 23 selection but with the knowledge he was leaving and OOC that he didn’t get a look in. Otherwise would have been more like the previous year and you never know once in the team you can play 4-5 like Henry early season then get dropped and never return or make the most of the opportunity. The silver lining is Henry got that second chance that he would potentially not have got with Sharp present and made the most of it. We end up getting a F2. St Kilda’s 2023 2nd round pick ended up 39. Yes I know they got end of first round (which ended up 28 - Collard) which I’m sure we asked for but was never on the table. I for one prefer F2 to pick 39 in 2023. If Sharp came in the 2022 trade period and Henry never got that second chance we would have been a stretch to get a F3.

GC didn’t bat below pick 38 when they went into the draft. As such it now makes a bit more sense why they didn’t trade Sharp for a F3. No way we were giving up any of the F2’s we had at that point. One was used to bring in JOM and the other has helped secure a F1 2024 (Port). Sharp makes his way to us via SSP rookie list at no cost.
Good on you for trying to make sense of GCS trading. Another year we could possibly get them to throw a stray first rounder in for nothing.

I’m not a massive fan of MSD. The best selections have still been mature aged ready to go players like Noble and Pickett.

I do agree that the best options generally fall in the first 4-5 options and thereafter it is slim pickings.

I think we did well out of the current one gone with Stanley sliding after being an expected Hawks early selection.

Take for example the excitement a couple of years ago over Jacob Edwards (ruck/forward) selected by North. The clubs getting all excited about such a bargain available in MSD. North couldn’t call out his name quick enough. He amounts to nothing - delisted now not playing a single game and showing bugger all in VFL.

I think Maric at West Coast and Robert Hansen-Jnr at North were solid pick ups. I liked Walls’ approach that they had four players on their list and if all four were gone then they tap out. Those four if I remember in order:
Maric, Hansen-Jnr, Stanley, Hunter.

I think it’s worth holding over a pick but I wouldn’t get too hung up about MSD.
Agree overall I think the MSD is really another rookie draft and it’s value is slightly overrated but you missed the best one of all so far - Jai Newcombe. He’s looking like a 250 game inside midfielder at this stage.
North picked edwards ahead of him - another stuff up by Norf

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt they care , Rawlings, clarko and co just went cap in hand to the AFL with severe woe is me mentality and got rewarded for it.
I smell a rat both at Road Kill Roos and the Suns.
I feel there has been a huge hand dealt by the AFL in Dimmer and Clarksin being appointed to the positions.Something doesn't smell right.

I smell a rat both at Road Kill Roos and the Suns.
I feel there has been a huge hand dealt by the AFL in Dimmer and Clarksin being appointed to the positions.Something doesn't smell right.

One of them will cease to exist when Tasmania joins... that's why guess.

It may even be both. Whichever performs worse the next two seasons is removed or merged.

Agree overall I think the MSD is really another rookie draft and it’s value is slightly overrated but you missed the best one of all so far - Jai Newcombe. He’s looking like a 250 game inside midfielder at this stage.
North picked edwards ahead of him - another stuff up by Norf
The first 4-5 picks are essentially adding talent similar to second/third round of the National Draft to the rookie list. Some taken in this range never play an AFL game like Edwards - most do. Sometimes you find a gun like Newcombe.

The rest are genuinely rookie list level players. Again you occasionally find a gun but a depth player or a player who's delisted after 2-4 years is more likely.

One of them will cease to exist when Tasmania joins... that's why guess.

It may even be both. Whichever performs worse the next two seasons is removed or merged.
No, that will never happen. The AFL have spent far too much for them to fail.Beside there will be another team come in in the next ten years.It will be all about TV rights. With 20 teams it makes for a two division fixture.
Suns and GWS are safe as is the Road Kill Roos.

No, that will never happen. The AFL have spent far too much for them to fail.Beside there will be another team come in in the next ten years.It will be all about TV rights. With 20 teams it makes for a two division fixture.
Suns and GWS are safe as is the Road Kill Roos.
IMO they should get a team out of Victoria and hopefully the Roos remain shit and it's an easy decision.

Sharp requested a trade to Freo in 2022. The deal did not get done as Gold Coast refused a third round pick in exchange. Stu Dew decided that if Sharp didn’t want to be part of the team he would leave him in the Magoos all year (2023). Sharp trained exceptionally well ....
Poor form by Dew but that’s why he has been punted.
Versus good form by Sharp!
Big tick for character!
Welcome aboard Jeremy!

Plenty of coaches have a "kill one to teach the herd" mentality. Our former coach was one.

They only need to think that the message to the playing group and the hope or unity it brings is worth more to the success of the club than the one player who is cut out.

Gold Coast didn't lose their games on the wing.
Thats how the mafia coaches their soldiers...?

IMO they should get a team out of Victoria and hopefully the Roos remain s**t and it's an easy decision.
This is the only real option, too many teams in VIC and they would never ley GC fail. Also won't want all the academy talent going straight to the Lions.

This is the only real option, too many teams in VIC and they would never ley GC fail. Also won't want all the academy talent going straight to the Lions.
The AFL would be looking at how many teams they want in Victoria in 10-20 years time rather than right now. I think it would be looking at more non-Victorian clubs rather than less Victorian clubs to create balance.

Ok, I know that I am assuming their is some kind of vision or master plan going on and may be quite wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2023 AFL Draft - The Late Male Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back