Fixture 2023 AFL Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL doing away with a GF rematch in the opening round and replacing it with a wooden spooners face off

Incredibly convenient starting time of 10.45 on a Saturday morning

Fremantle playing their old coach in Round 1 in a game that would’ve been at Optus had it not been for Ed Shearan

I feel like we play OK at Marvel on a sunny Saturday arvo in Rd 1

had some good wins the past few years v NM and Dogs

*reckon both times JK had a day out... gonna miss that bearded god

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Don’t they close the roof for all games now regardless of weather

That's a very underwhelming opening round.
Or maybe I just cbf with AFL even more these days.
In all fairness I think it’s pretty good

• Richmond v Carlton - whilst I’ve never been a fan of this being the “traditional” opener, both clubs are potential contenders next year and there’ll be plenty of interest in this game
• Geelong v Collingwood - premiers v last years bolters who were one minute away from a GF berth. Tough away game first up for the Pies
• North v West Coast - if you’re going to have the better teams playing off, then the battlers end up playing each other. Should be an even contest at least
• Port v Brisbane - usually put on a good show these two and Port will be after a big scalp to prove their credentials early
• Melbourne v Bulldogs- played in a GF last year. Both will want an early win after not really backing up this year. First look at Grundy and Gawn in tandem
• Gold Coast v Sydney - admittedly is a bit ho-hum mainly because no one gives a shit about the Suns
• GWS v Adelaide - again a bit of a nothing burger I guess
• Hawthorn v Essendon- another match between 2 spoon contenders
• St Kilda v Fremantle - Dockers first up against their old coach. This’ll be worth watching to see if Saints are better with old budding boy and are Freo going to back up a solid 2022 or be the Freo that we know and love

Any round is going to have some dud matches but for the most part they’re pretty even matchups at least

Last edited:
There is no AFL game at Optus Stadium in R1 due to Ed Sheeran‘s concert, but the concert is on the 12 March 2023 and our R1 game is on 18 March.
The ground cannot be ready 6 days after the concert?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no AFL game at Optus Stadium in R1 due to Ed Sheeran‘s concert, but the concert is on the 12 March 2023 and our R1 game is on 18 March.

Probably not with the difficulties Optus are having getting any staff at all. They're not alone in that regard.

There is no AFL games at Optus Stadium in R1 due to Ed Sheran‘s concert, but the concert is on the 12 March 2023 and our R1 game is on 18 March.

Apparently they need at least 8 days to get it ready after a concert so that any replacement turf has time to bed down properly

The conflict is due to the AFL adding the magic round which brought the start of the season forward by 1 week

Optus was booked for the concert in the belief there’d be time before round 1 to get the ground ready

Doing things on the fly/last minute decisions have consequences

The AFL doing away with a GF rematch in the opening round and replacing it with a wooden spooners face off

Incredibly convenient starting time of 10.45 on a Saturday morning

Fremantle playing their old coach in Round 1 in a game that would’ve been at Optus had it not been for Ed Shearan
They are doing a GF everyone wanted to see #VICBIAS

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixture 2023 AFL Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Back