Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

James Sicily with another massive game on the weekend.

28 disposals, 13 marks (10 intercept marks!), 373 meters gained, 13 contested possessions and an absolute demolition job on Riewoldt.

He is having a rare season, will be a pity when he misses AA selection yet again due to those ridiculous suspensions / anti Hawthorn bias of the AFL.
Sicily was great but Riewoldt is routinely getting reamed.

Missed a week due to lack of interest but back again

Here's my update for Round 19

B Sicily Andrews Quaynor
HB Houston Moore Vlaustin
C Dawson N Daicos Merrett
HF Bontempelli Walker Petracca
F Greene Curnow Rozee

Ruck English Taranto Butters

INT Neale, Liberatore, Sinclair, J Daicos

IN Sicily, Quaynor, English J Daicos
OUT Aliir, Ryan, Darcy, Anderson

Witts, Anderson, Ballard, Redman, Dunkley, Blicavs, Pendlebury, Aliir, Ryan, Darcy, Nankervis, C Cameron, De Goey, Haynes, Bolton, J Cameron, Finlayson, Parker, Hawkins, Gulden, J Kelly, Parish, Serong, Gawn, Blakey, Stewart
Surely Stewart was an afterthought.
He will be in the side.

I don't watch enough games each week to comment on AA selection.

But I am a stats nerd, so here is an interesting stat on the top 10 goalkickers; looking at what % of their teams' total scores they have kicked.

View attachment 1752542

Charlie dining out against WCE is a valid argument. But playing for Adelaide, Geelong and Brisbane is also a pretty decent boost. On the flip side, kicking goals for North and WCE is bloody hard yakka.

(You won't believe me, but...) Disclaimer: I prepared this chart expecting Allen and Larkey to be #1 and #2. It was not intended as a Curnow pump.

Note: Curnow and Naughton badly need to improve their kicking. Daniher not far behind. And all three have struggled their entire careers. Larkey, Allen and C Cameron all have amazing conversion this year.

The % of team stat would just penalise a player for being part of a functional forward line that has multiple players contributing to scoring? Not to mention players like Hawkins have always also set up team mates for goals which worsens their % of team score figure but obviously is a positive.

Curnow's a great player, from an outside point of view I'd suggest that part of Carlton's problem is the fact that they are perhaps overreliant on him to score given McKay's struggles this year.

B Sicily Andrews Quaynor
F Greene Curnow Rozee

Witts, Anderson, Ballard, Redman, Dunkley, Blicavs, Pendlebury, Aliir, Ryan, Darcy, Nankervis, C Cameron, De Goey, Haynes, Bolton, J Cameron, Finlayson, Parker, Hawkins, Gulden, J Kelly, Parish, Serong, Gawn, Blakey, Stewart
5 rucks? They usually pick 3. Marshall is a clear second in my opinion. If they go with a third it might be Gawn.

Luke Ryan is interesting. Per AFL.com.au, Ryan ranks elite in nearly every stat - disposals, intercept possessions and marks, metres gained, rebound 50’s, 1-on-1, kicking efficiency, marks and contested marks.

But he doesn’t pass my eye test. When I watch the dockers he is slow and indecisive with the footy and is frequently counter productive to Freo’s ball movement. I don’t have him in my squad.

Luke Ryan is interesting. Per AFL.com.au, Ryan ranks elite in nearly every stat - disposals, intercept possessions and marks, metres gained, rebound 50’s, 1-on-1, kicking efficiency, marks and contested marks.

But he doesn’t pass my eye test. When I watch the dockers he is slow and indecisive with the footy and is frequently counter productive to Freo’s ball movement. I don’t have him in my squad.
Ryan has been a major issue for the Dockers this year, I agree. Feels like his decisions with ball in hand are genuinely hampering the Dockers despite much of his brilliant defensive work being an obvious positive.

Not aimed at anyone in particular, but this thread would be so much better if posters were not allowed to discuss players from their own team.
You can say blaisee mate. We all think it.

B Sicily Andrews Quaynor
F Greene Curnow Rozee

Laird is surely in the top 48

(Log in to remove this ad.)

v Hawks

Balta had 19 disposals, six contested possessions, a game-high 14 marks, nine intercepts, six rebound-50s, four inside-50s and a team-high 588 metres gained.

This is the time of year where this thread just turns into the Rolling All-Australian Team of players that aren't making finals
rolling team of Carlton & Tigers players it sounds more like

v Hawks

Balta had 19 disposals, six contested possessions, a game-high 14 marks, nine intercepts, six rebound-50s, four inside-50s and a team-high 588 metres gained.

No doubt Balta is having a breakout season and has a lot of 'Rance' to his game at the moment. Was a very good game, and he's definitely on an upwards trajectory and could make the AA squad if he continues this way.

With this said though, the amount Stewart gets underrated on here is just crazy to me. You only need to compare respective stats over the weekend to see how both players match up -

Stewart had 25 disposals, 9 contested possessions, 9 marks (3 contested), 13 intercepts, 5 rebound-50's, 5 tackles, 3 inside-50's, 460 metres gained, 7 coaches votes (only Geelong player to receive any votes - and received the most), versus a Top 4 side.

Balta had 19 disposals, six contested possessions, 14 marks, nine intercepts, six rebound-50s, four inside-50s, 588 metres gained, 4 coaches votes, versus a Bottom 4 side.

So it's not ridiculous to state that Stewart might be close/in the AA 22, based on the above comparisons from just one game - as some of your brethren (one in particular who is relentless) like to insinuate.

Both players are having great seasons, so I find it odd that some people are happy to write off one because they're not from their team, but perfectly happy with their own being in there.

No doubt Balta is having a breakout season and has a lot of 'Rance' to his game at the moment. Was a very good game, and he's definitely on an upwards trajectory and could make the AA squad if he continues this way.

With this said though, the amount Stewart gets underrated on here is just crazy to me. You only need to compare respective stats over the weekend to see how both players match up -

Stewart had 25 disposals, 9 contested possessions, 9 marks (3 contested), 13 intercepts, 5 rebound-50's, 5 tackles, 3 inside-50's, 460 metres gained, 7 coaches votes (only Geelong player to receive any votes - and received the most), versus a Top 4 side.

Balta had 19 disposals, six contested possessions, 14 marks, nine intercepts, six rebound-50s, four inside-50s, 588 metres gained, 4 coaches votes, versus a Bottom 4 side.

So it's not ridiculous to state that Stewart might be close/in the AA 22, based on the above comparisons from just one game - as some of your brethren (one in particular who is relentless) like to insinuate.

Both players are having great seasons, so I find it odd that some people are happy to write off one because they're not from their team, but perfectly happy with their own being in there.
Stewart's had an awesome year, still a handful of games to go but I reckon he has to be in at this point. Going to be some seriously unlucky defenders who can justifiably consider themselves stiff once the 22 is announced this season.

Stewart's had an awesome year, still a handful of games to go but I reckon he has to be in at this point. Going to be some seriously unlucky defenders who can justifiably consider themselves stiff once the 22 is announced this season.

I think he's borderline - such has been the calibre of the comp this year. Forwards are probably the line with the least depth, but defs and mids are gonna be tough as hell. I've got 15 that could easily be in the 22 down back, and can't split them. Only guarantee in my head right now is Darcy Moore. Everyone else outside that is up in the air.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back