Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't watch enough games each week to comment on AA selection.

But I am a stats nerd, so here is an interesting stat on the top 10 goalkickers; looking at what % of their teams' total scores they have kicked.

View attachment 1752542

Charlie dining out against WCE is a valid argument. But playing for Adelaide, Geelong and Brisbane is also a pretty decent boost. On the flip side, kicking goals for North and WCE is bloody hard yakka.

(You won't believe me, but...) Disclaimer: I prepared this chart expecting Allen and Larkey to be #1 and #2. It was not intended as a Curnow pump.

Note: Curnow and Naughton badly need to improve their kicking. Daniher not far behind. And all three have struggled their entire careers. Larkey, Allen and C Cameron all have amazing conversion this year.
This is good stuff, really interesting. I think it says a few things:

1. Even though he has dined out against West Coast, Charlie Curnow is a beast. Imagine if he'd been as efficient as most of his competitors except Naughton.
2. Carlton have really lacked alternative avenues to goal, especially with McKay's goalkicking/performance issues, until recent weeks coinciding with their uptick in form.
3. Toby Greene is still the most impressive to me. That he leads the line and plays like a KPP as a small forward on a rebuilding team (albeit they are in the 8 and have won 6 in a row). He is an absolute marvel.

It would be interesting to see how Curnow/McKay compare in this metric against some of the other dynamic duos: Hawkins/Cameron (34%), Daniher/Cameron (31%), Naughton/Ugle Hagan (%?) etc.

Very impressive of Richmond to have so many players in the AA team for a side that isn't in the 8.

Dustin Martin, Shai Bolton, Tim Taranto, Noah Balta - surely I am missing 2-3 others?

Very impressive of Richmond to have so many players in the AA team for a side that isn't in the 8.

Dustin Martin, Shai Bolton, Tim Taranto, Noah Balta - surely I am missing 2-3 others?

Shame on you leaving out Vlaustin !

You must be one of those 'haters' with an agenda against all things Richmond 😶‍🌫️🤭

Rowan Marshall has had a very good year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bolton, Vlaustin and Taranto would be deserving of the squad.

Taranto should make the team. Bolton would need a big last 5 weeks. Can’t see Vlaustin doing enough to find a spot at half back but he’s a fantastic player.

Martin and Balta, please… :drunk:

Marshall closer than Gawn for a spot as second ruck. An excellent last few weeks does not counteract missing essentially 4 games and having some inconsistent form for much of the year before.

As we speak yes

By seasons end and if Gawn plays as the solo Ruck no

Taranto should make the team. Bolton would need a big last 5 weeks. Can’t see Vlaustin doing enough to find a spot at half back but he’s a fantastic player.

Nah Vlastuin started too slowly. Reckon only Bolton and Taranto will both makes the squad. TT should make the 22, Bolton borderline.

Balta won't make the final team this year, but IMO has had a better year than Vlastuin this season.

Balta is now underrated on these boards and cops a lot of unfair jokes by virtue of a stupid thread created by a Tiges fan on the main board, but the fact is he's a very good key defender and intercept marker, and at 23 years of age he's got an AA or two in his career I reckon. Needs to cut out a few of the brain fades in games, but that should come with more experience and knowing his limitations better to play the percentages.

He's equal 3rd in the AFL for contested marks, 2nd in total intercepts (can't find intercept marks alone), 6th for rebound 50s

Not a bad season at all for a KPD to make the 40 man squad...

He started the season with 10 goals in his first 11 games. Had a good month but you need more than that to be AA

Yep agreed Elliott would need to have an unreal last month to make AA.

Yeah not sure Gawn is getting close to English. If he was in this form the entire year he'd absolutely be a chance but the numbers just don't stack up.

Balta won't make the final team this year, but IMO has had a better year than Vlastuin this season.

Balta is now underrated on these boards and cops a lot of unfair jokes by virtue of a stupid thread created by a Tiges fan on the main board, but the fact is he's a very good key defender and intercept marker, and at 23 years of age he's got an AA or two in his career I reckon. Needs to cut out a few of the brain fades in games, but that should come with more experience and knowing his limitations better to play the percentages.

He's equal 3rd in the AFL for contested marks, 2nd in total intercepts (can't find intercept marks alone), 6th for rebound 50s

Not a bad season at all for a KPD to make the 40 man squad...

Once he refines the art of defence first, and intercepts only at the right times, I think he will get there.

Still makes too many blunders and leaks too many goals by trying to make the miraculous intercept, to be considered for AA.

Well on his way though.

Will be interesting to see the players with high influences on games and the games they miss impacting on there chances at getting a nod.

I look at Tom Stewart and James Siciliy, two of the most important players in there teams but have missed chunks of games. Both should rightfully be in the conversation for AA honours. I also wonder the "out of sight, out of mind" that players like Sam Taylor and Josh Dunkley play in getting a nod? Both rightfully should be in the conversation, squad membership at least.

Brayden Maynard and Isaac Quaynor are fast closing in on small defensive spots, Quaynor close to my favourite Pie to watch.

As we speak yes

By seasons end and if Gawn plays as the solo Ruck no
No. There's only four rounds left, and unless something catastrophic happens, there's just no justifiable way to change that. Until last week, Gawn's form was nothing special. Still good, but nothing to suggest he should be anything near the AA team.

I know you were trying to suggest that Gawn should dethrone English as the AA ruck. No chance. Tim's been the undisputed best ruck in terms of his performance and consistency this year. 95% of teams have him as the AA ruck.

Now, if you were going to select one for a game tomorrow, that's a different argument. But that's not what this thread is for

No. There's only four rounds left, and unless something catastrophic happens, there's just no justifiable way to change that. Until last week, Gawn's form was nothing special. Still good, but nothing to suggest he should be anything near the AA team.

I know you were trying to suggest that Gawn should dethrone English as the AA ruck. No chance. Tim's been the undisputed best ruck in terms of his performance and consistency this year. 95% of teams have him as the AA ruck.

Now, if you were going to select one for a game tomorrow, that's a different argument. But that's not what this thread is for
English has been head and shoulders the best ruck this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back