Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Really hope Wilkie gets All/Aus honours. Best defender in the best defensive team. Has turned into an interceptor this year complimenting his all round defensive game. Can play on any size from Toby Green to Jeremy Cameron to Charlie Curnow.

Weitering has been an absolute brickwall these last couple of months, snd even before that he was really solid. along with all the Carlton hype, i reckon he would be stiff to miss.

Larkey should probably make it. Hes a similar case to Nick Riewoldt in 2014. While Riewoldt was more productiaround the ground, Larkey has at least 13 more goals on the season
There are dozens of mids to select which makes it hard but also quite a few elite defenders. Forwards would seem to be easier to pick and often is around goals kicked. Listening to Bucks OTC tonight, Weitering might be a lock for AA. He is a selector after all. Sicily and Andrews, or maybe Wilkie the other 2. Think Moore is a bit flaky upstairs which detracts from his play. Weitering is a much smarter player than him.

So where’s Sheezel starting to rank in terms of 40 man squad chances?

In todays data dump from CD, he’s the #1 half back in the league for the last 6 weeks (I.e qtr of the season)
If there was a squad of 100 he wouldn’t feature

Good for a first year player but lots of nothing disposals off half back in the worse team in the comp doesn’t get you into the 100, let alone the 40

Squad outs: Isaac Quaynor, Adam Cerra
Squad ins: Nick Blakey, Stephen Coniglio

DEF: Harris Andrews, Jacob Weitering, Nic Newman, Darcy Moore, Nick Daicos, Tom Stewart, Charlie Ballard, James Sicily, Dan Houston, Jack Sinclair, Callum Wilkie, Nick Blakey
MID: Jordan Dawson, Rory Laird, Lachie Neale, Josh Daicos, Zach Merrett, Caleb Serong, Noah Anderson, Tom Green, Stephen Coniglio, Jai Newcombe, Christian Petracca, Connor Rozee, Zak Butters, Tim Taranto, Errol Gulden, Marcus Bontempelli, Tom Liberatore
RUC: Max Gawn, Rowan Marshall, Tim English
FWD: Taylor Walker, Joe Daniher, Charlie Cameron, Charlie Curnow, Kyle Langford, Jeremy Cameron, Tom Hawkins, Toby Greene, Luke Breust, Nick Larkey, Dustin Martin, Shai Bolton

Team outs: Jeremy Cameron
Team ins: Lachie Neale

Team:
B: Callum Wilkie - Jacob Weitering - James Sicily
HB: Nick Daicos - Darcy Moore - Jack Sinclair
C: Errol Gulden - Zak Butters - Zach Merrett
HF: Christian Petracca - Taylor Walker - Toby Greene
F: Charlie Cameron - Charlie Curnow - Kyle Langford
R: Tim English - Marcus Bontempelli - Connor Rozee
I: Tim Taranto - Jordan Dawson - Lachie Neale - Tom Stewart

Second team:
B: Nic Newman - Harris Andrews - Nick Blakey
HB: Jai Newcombe - Charlie Ballard - Dan Houston
C: Josh Daicos - Tom Green - Noah Anderson
HF: Dustin Martin - Jeremy Cameron - Shai Bolton
F: Joe Daniher - Nick Larkey - Luke Breust
R: Rowan Marshall - Caleb Serong - Tom Liberatore
I: Rory Laird - Max Gawn - Stephen Coniglio - Tom Hawkins
No love for Houston?
20th in coaches votes with only 1.5 (Sinclair and Naicos) half backs above him

No love for Houston?
20th in coaches votes with only 1.5 (Sinclair and Naicos) half backs above him
So close, but no cigar. I’m in favour of having 7 back men in the side but I’ve got Stewart narrowly ahead for now.

Of course if he does squeeze in the real side, nobody will be spitting the dummy. Great season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1st in league for disposals yet 60th for score involvements? Sounds like he's still a ball butcher... Pass
Still 6th for goal assists.

I reckon there's always room for at least one of these heavy accumulators/contested bull types (that doesn't have stackloads of score involvements and can be a bit mediocre with ball use). Maybe even two or three most years but we do have two genuine wingmen taking spots this year.

It's probably out of Serong, Neale, Taranto and Libba for that player. More specifically I'd say out of Neale and Serong.

Serong does have 27 more inside 50s. Is his kicking that much worse than Neale or does he just have a worse forward line to work with? The latter in my opinion. He also has 18 more rebound 50s so he does a LOT of work both ways. Neale is the clearance king. Otherwise they're pretty close.

Flip of the coin, or both make it.

Still 6th for goal assists.

I reckon there's always room for at least one of these heavy accumulators/contested bull types (that doesn't have stackloads of score involvements and can be a bit mediocre with ball use). Maybe even two or three most years but we do have two genuine wingmen taking spots this year.

It's probably out of Serong, Neale, Taranto and Libba for that player. More specifically I'd say out of Neale and Serong.

Serong does have 27 more inside 50s. Is his kicking that much worse than Neale or does he just have a worse forward line to work with? The latter in my opinion. He also has 18 more rebound 50s so he does a LOT of work both ways. Neale is the clearance king. Otherwise they're pretty close.

Flip of the coin, or both make it.

There is.

But I'd rank them in this order this year:

Bont
Butters
Libba
Petracca
Rozee
Merrett
Anderson
Green
Serong
Newcombe
Dawson
De Goey
Rowell

TBH, you could throw a blanket over the bottom 6 there.

I'd have Anderson and Green ahead of Serong personally, everyone gets so fixed on the final disposal number.

How many spots are realistically up for debate with a week to go?

Betts mentiones 2 weeks ago when they met they had locked in 13 players

Newman Weitering Sicily

Naicos Moore Sinclair

Gulden Bont Dawson

English Petracca Libba

Greene Walker Langford

CCameron Curnow Bruest

Butters Rozee Wilkie Neale

May be some Carlton bias in which case Wilkie on, Stewart in and raffle a few guys for last bench spot. Charlie guaranteed though.

Settled on this:

Sicily Weitering Wilkie
N Daicos Moore Sinclair
Gulden Bont J Daicos
Greene Walker Petracca
C Cameron Curnow Larkey
English Butters Libba
Serong Rozzee Dawson Langford

Reckon fairly balanced. Wings play wing. Langford the swing man, but generally the hybrid half forward, Dawson can go back

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back