Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

My All-Australian Team made up of guys NOT in the AA squad. This team would beat whatever AA team is mentioned tomorrow and by some margin. It has a much better defence (stronger bodies also) and a more dangerous forward line, especially at ground level. The midfield could easily breakeven with Oliver, Laird, A.Brayshaw, Cerra, etc.

FB: Maynard May T.Stewart

HB: Docherty S.Taylor Lever

C: N.Martin Oliver S.Walsh

HF: S.Bolton J.Cameron Rankine

FF: B.Fritsch J.Daniher J.Elliott

Foll: Gawn, Cerra, Laird

Int: P.Dangerfield, N.Newman, Andrew Brayshaw, J.Howe.

Daniher made the squad.

i reckon if jordan ridley didn’t go down earlier this season with a quad strain he’d have been a lock for the side.

he’s easily one of essendon’s most important players and we look like a much different (worse) team when he’s off the field

If your selection is up for debate, I don't really think you should be captain. Realistically it should come down to Bont or Greene.

It's a bit of a wank tbh, they usually give it symbolically to a Franklin or Hawkins, almost as a sort of 'career achievement' award.
You saying Moore is debatable?

Overall, it's a great squad. This season I think there has been a lot of career years so there will be some tough outs. The backline for example, with Moore, Quaynor, Daicos, Houston, Sinclair and Sicily who all have had outstanding seasons. Then where do you slot in Andrews, Stewart or Wilkie? Are you selecting Dawson as a mid or off the HBF?

Its the same for the forwards. Curnow and Walker, Greene I think are automatic selections. But Larkey has had a huge year given Norths season, then you have the small forwards in Breust and Cameron who have kicked 50 goals or thereabouts. Are you selecting Petracca and/or Martin as HFF?

And who tf knows for the mids. I think Bont is clear number one but I have really enjoyed watching Dawson and Green this season.

With no Sam Taylor Moore is a certainty to make the team.

Harris Andrews is a lock and 3 of Moore, Stewart, Sicily, Weitering & Wilkie make it.. Stewart is a media darling so I would say he locks away a spot. Moore 2nd half of the year was as bad as Weitering start to the year and Sicily missed 6 games and played in a side that finished 16th.. Wilkie was great first half of the year, not so great 2nd and they tend to reward players over several years of performance.

The panel includes Pavlich & Jakovich so i think they will favour a defender that defends over an 'interceptor' which is why I think Weitering might get the nod and be paired with one of Moore or Sicily.

Now that the squad is out, my little opinion is.
B - Sicily - Moore (C) - Houston
HB - Daicos - Andrews - Sinclair
C - Gulden - Libba - Daicos
HF - Rozee - Curnow - Petracca
C - C.Cameron - Walker - Greene (VC)
Foll - English - Bont - Butters
Int - Marshall - Merrett - Stewart - Green.

Unlucky
Weitering, Neale, Langford, Larkey, Serong, Viney and probably another 5 players.

It has been a pretty even season this year.
A few token gestures but also a few going to be stiff to miss the team.

I do believe though that making the squad, is just a junk stat like score involvement.

3 of Moore, Stewart, Sicily, Weitering & Wilkie make it.. Stewart is a media darling so I would say he locks away a spot. Moore 2nd half of the year was as bad as Weitering start to the year and Sicily missed 6 games and played in a side that finished 16th.. Wilkie was great first half of the year, not so great 2nd and they tend to reward players over several years of performance.

The panel includes Pavlich & Jakovich so i think they will favour a defender that defends over an 'interceptor' which is why I think Weitering might get the nod and be paired with one of Moore or Sicily.
I think Sicily makes it for two reasons - 1/ body of work including last year, and 2/ the 6 weeks he missed were mostly bullshit and the selectors will turn a blind eye.

I think Stewart actually misses because - 1/ he got it last year marginally - cannot get two marginal spots in a row, 2/ he has not been as good as last year.

Luke Mcdonald was robbed

Go ahead... Name me 20 midfielders who have been better this season than Jai Newcombe
Bont Libba Trac Dawson Daicos De goey Neale Dunkley Rozee Butters Viney Cripps Cerra Sinclair Day Green Anderson Serong Taranto Merrett
Well done on getting 16/20 of this year's AA squad.
You were wide of the mark with Dunkley, Cerra, Day and Taranto

Not bad.

That was off the top of my head. I agree he's a good player and will be but the original post stands. In a year or two time I can see him being a top 20 mid for sure

Newcombe made the All Australian squad in just his 2nd full season of AFL footy.

The selectors thought he was one of the AFL's 20 best midfielders in 2023

He's not the "boy" from Poowong anymore. The Duke has arrived. :thumbsu:

To be honest I could name at least another 10

Survey says......

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn’t going to chip in with my opinion about TT bc I’m obviously biased but I cannot stand comments like this.

He kicked 19 goals for the season more than any other pure midfielder other than Bont who also had 19. What’s more impactful than kicking the goals yourself? 🤣🤣🤣

Taranto was stiff. He should have been in the squad.

I'm just suggesting a reason as to why Newcombe was included by the selectors instead.

If your selection is up for debate, I don't really think you should be captain. Realistically it should come down to Bont or Greene.

It's a bit of a wank tbh, they usually give it symbolically to a Franklin or Hawkins, almost as a sort of 'career achievement' award.

Yeah…Rance was captain in 2017. Buddy in 2018. Hawkins in 2022.

This thread might spontaneously combust if Martin is in the team… imagine if he’s Captain

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The Cripps selection in the squad pretty much discredits this award before it's even chosen. How can you have a panel of selectors actually gather in a room and come to that conclusion. Mind boggling.
De Goey not much better. Missed a handful of games, played like ass in another, competitive spot. Guess they give a soft one to the Pies as they finished a game on top, but even then thought Quaynor would fill that quota.

De Goey not much better. Missed a handful of games, played like ass in another, competitive spot. Guess they give a soft one to the Pies as they finished a game on top, but even then thought Quaynor would fill that quota.
Let my bias show. Up to round 17 degoey was arguably a walk up. Then he got suspended and his form dipped. I think if he didn't have a best on that last game he's not making the sqaud.

Quaynor should make it, I will die on that hill

Harris Andrews is a lock and 3 of Moore, Stewart, Sicily, Weitering & Wilkie make it.. Stewart is a media darling so I would say he locks away a spot. Moore 2nd half of the year was as bad as Weitering start to the year and Sicily missed 6 games and played in a side that finished 16th.. Wilkie was great first half of the year, not so great 2nd and they tend to reward players over several years of performance.

Sicily missed 4 games not 6.

Stewart is 2nd for both total intercept possessions and rebound 50s, 3rd for effective kicks among all defenders and has polled in the coaches votes 10 plus times, with a 18.8% contested defensive 1v1 loss rate. Nobody else comes close to ticking all of these boxes.

I think Wilkie will get the nod as being part of a better defence and finalist, but it's silly to suggest that Stewart would only get in on reputation. With the games missed that claim had more validity in 2022 than 2023.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back