Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Finals are much more important than home and away. Some home and away games mean nothing, that's why Geelong sent 3 players for surgery last week.
You mean like the two home and away games this season where Martin polled 40% of his Coaches votes?

I suggest these two games were the difference between Martin making the AA squad and not making it.

Tex has been great for his age but Marshall had a more effective year for a team and Tex has his limitations.

Good kicker but some figures are distorted by certain matchups to

He kicked less goals against west coast and north than Charlie Curnow did. At a higher goal per game average.
Maybe they should have left Charlie out?

Just an absolute galoot of a remark

At the end of the day you take Cornes and Laura Kane off the selection panel and put David king and Joey instead and Dusty makes it. It’s all opinions.

I have it on good authority Laura Kane voted for dusty and was pushing to get him on the team. Take your sexist remarks elsewhere

All in all, a pretty good side.

I’d have had Lachie Neale in there before Merrett.

Last edited:
The insecurity of Tigers fans is frankly hilarious. There were more egregious snubs IMO (Marshall, Libba, etc) than Martin. The fear of him having only 4xAA and it affecting his legacy somehow is quite clear. His 2017 year and finals record will always speak for itself, but fact is that outside of 2017-18, Dusty's regular seasons have never been nearly as consistently dominant, relatively speaking of course.

He's still a much, much better player than Josh Daicos.
It's 2023.

The All-Australian selectors voted Josh a better player than Martin in 2023:

All-Australian Jumpers:
J. Daicos - 1
D. Martin - 0

The Coaches also agreed Josh was a better player than Martin in 2023.

AFLCA Coaches Votes:
J. Daicos - 53 (polled in 12 separate games)
D. Martin - 47 (polled in 8 separate games)

17 of Martin's votes were awarded in Richmond's last two games - dead rubbers.

The fact of the matter is that if Martin had have played better when it counted, Richmond may very well be playing finals next weekend.

If J. Daicos wasn't as consistently good across the whole season as he has been, Collingwood may very well be fronting up to Brisbane in Brisbane or Port in Adelaide for their Qualifying Final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seeing as they didn't bother naming the second side, here it is:

Isaac Quaynor - Harris Andrews - Luke Ryan
Mason Redman - Jacob Weitering - Nick Blakey
Noah Anderson - Stephen Coniglio - Tom Green
Jordan De Goey - Joe Daniher - Kyle Langford
Luke Jackson - Oscar Allen - Luke Breust
Rowan Marshall - Tom Liberatore - Jack Viney
Patrick Cripps - Jai Newcombe - Lachie Neale - Dustin Martin

25 goals in finals as a mid, I should have said. 3x Aryres medal, 3 x NSmith.
I would rate Jamie Elliot above Josh Daicos.
The AA concept is wrong as it doesn't reward genuine forwards apart from full forwards, but rewards genuine backmen.
I'm sure Tom Hawkins would have got in with Martin's stats, but Martin's dad was a biker and he didn't go to a private school.
Just wow.
I have seen for a while, that a few of you Richmond, Martin loving special ones were a bit different but this is next level conspiracy theory.
This is Donald Trump level.
Be careful of the 5G also, that's how they get you :).

Good to see you got Dusty picked as the last man in for the seconds side.
That should keep some on here happy :cool:

Handy - it’s a game I’d pay to see

Hawkins will be a huge liability next year, it was selfish of him to play on. If Martin ever plays permanent full-forward , he will kick more than 7 goals in a game more than once.

Couldn’t be more pleased for him. Not going to make him a better key forward is it.
I mean it probably will, under some half-arsed stupid ‘this happened once’ criteria that you will use to make yourself feel better but at the end of the day, Chris Gayle having two test triple centuries doesn’t make him a better batsman than Ricky Ponting and Sachin Tendulkar with 0 between them does it and Martin can pretty much do as he pleases and it’s not going to make him a better key forward.

As for the selfish comment, if Jack Riewoldt was actually still capable of playing decent football you’d have been fine with him going on.
Tom Hawkins was playing football at an AA level for most of this season and 99 per cent of Cats fans want him to play on because we like watching good players play good football for the team we support.

I hope today is a better day for you

Josh Daicos is not in the best 22 players in the league.
Yes he is

It's a nice home and away award but you're forgetting about finals and the greatest finals player of all time.
By all means, pat your Tom Srewarts of the world on the back for playing as a loose defender at Kardinia Park against WC, North, GC and other bottom 8 teams.

This attempt at sarcastic cynicism would be far funnier if the majority of players with a shedload of AA honours had not also performed outstandingly in finals throughout their careers as well, a fact you seem oddly unable to grasp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back