Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

LIBBA.jpg

Libba could not have done any more in my opinion. Ranks almost top 10 in most of the more important metrics for a MID, even well ahead in some of those statistics than some who actually made the team. Which shows to me, that he will never ever make it. Wonder if AA selectors genuinely look at advanced stats and impact for team, or just total disposals and AFL fantasy scores?

Team was good mind you, hard to remove anyone. Just pointing out that Libba could finish number one in tackles, clearances, contested ball in the league and still likely won't make it. Just the way it is I guess.

View attachment 1790686

Libba could not have done any more. Ranks almost top 10 in most of the more important metrics, even well ahead in some of those statistics than some who actually made the team. Which shows to me, that he will never ever make it. Wonder if AA selectors genuinely look at advvanged stats and impact, or just total disposals and AFL fantasy scores?

Team was good mind you. Just pointing out that Libba could finish number one in tackles, clearances, contested ball and still likely won't make it.
While I agree, I think having two genuine wingers picked screwed Libba and Neale - who both would've been picked most years.

And oddly, the coaches rarely give him juicy vote hauls either. Some players are unlucky. I have no doubt if Bulldogs finished top 4 he'd have been a lock.

Martin’s skinny AA selections are a nice resemblance of his standing in the game.

He didnt deserve it, other forwards had way better seasons with much larger impacts.
It's a nice home and away award but you're forgetting about finals and the greatest finals player of all time.
By all means, pat your Tom Srewarts of the world on the back for playing as a loose defender at Kardinia Park against WC, North, GC and other bottom 8 teams.

It's a nice home and away award but you're forgetting about finals and the greatest finals player of all time.
By all means, pat your Tom Srewarts of the world on the back for playing as a loose defender at Kardinia Park against WC, North, GC and other bottom 8 teams.
Do other teams not play bottom 8 teams or something

In finals, a few teams seasons are on the line. Home and away, every teams season is on the line and every player is competing on an even playing field over 20 plus games.

Selective focus on finals at the expense of the other 90-95% of a players career has never been the main criteria to rate the greats. Neither has team success. In fact your status is elevated if you can also do it in a poor side.

If Dusty was AA worthy this season his status undoubtedly would've been lifted. That's why there was a campaign for it. He's still a champion player anyway but 4 AAs and one season winning any of the league MVP, Brownlow and Coaches Association award (never in a non premiership team) is a little low.

Bontempelli as league MVP in a non finalist is a special effort, like Ablett Senior in 1993 or his son in 2012-2013. Cripps with a Brownlow and a league MVP in different seasons, both where his team were average, is another example.

In finals, a few teams seasons are on the line. Home and away, every teams season is on the line and every player is competing on an even playing field over 20 plus games.

Selective focus on finals at the expense of the other 90-95% of a players career has never been the main criteria to rate the greats. Neither has team success. In fact your status is elevated if you can also do it in a poor side.

If Dusty was AA worthy this season his status undoubtedly would've been lifted. That's why there was a campaign for it. He's still a champion player anyway but 4 AAs and one season winning any of the league MVP, Brownlow and Coaches Association award (never in a non premiership team) is a little low.

Bontempelli as league MVP in a non finalist is a special effort, like Ablett Senior in 1993 or his son in 2012-2013. Cripps with a Brownlow and a league MVP in different seasons, both where his team were average, is another example.
Finals are much more important than home and away. Some home and away games mean nothing, that's why Geelong sent 3 players for surgery last week.

View attachment 1790686

Libba could not have done any more in my opinion. Ranks almost top 10 in most of the more important metrics for a MID, even well ahead in some of those statistics than some who actually made the team. Which shows to me, that he will never ever make it. Wonder if AA selectors genuinely look at advanced stats and impact for team, or just total disposals and AFL fantasy scores?

Team was good mind you, hard to remove anyone. Just pointing out that Libba could finish number one in tackles, clearances, contested ball in the league and still likely won't make it. Just the way it is I guess.
Hear hear. Am with you on that Cerberus, as are many in the non bias pure football loving Fraternity, give us the option to choose either of Libba or Merrett for our side. It’s Libba every day of the week, and twice on Sunday’s , by the length of the Flemington straight.

View attachment 1790686

I had him in my team.

Finals are much more important than home and away. Some home and away games mean nothing, that's why Geelong sent 3 players for surgery last week.
For starters to be the best you are competing with 220 less players. The MVP in the league won't be able to play finals this season through no fault of his own.

You also have a sample size of 3 to 4. Unless your side are clearly the best in it your chance of winning the top accolades (NS and Gary Ayres) is very slim. Lose more than one final and that goes down to 0%.

Being the best finals player of the best side undoubtedly deserves merit but no, it doesn't override simply ranking players overall careers and accomplishment list when they were competing against 400 plus players every single year.

He has only been able to crack the best 26 players in the AFL 4 times over a 13+ year career. Just a good player and nothing more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I agree, I think having two genuine wingers picked screwed Libba and Neale - who both would've been picked most years.

And oddly, the coaches rarely give him juicy vote hauls either. Some players are unlucky. I have no doubt if Bulldogs finished top 4 he'd have been a lock.
Possibly true, but surely a spot on the bench compared to say, Merrett. Before the Merrett fans go sooking defensively, I am not saying he didn't deserve his spot. It is just purely a comparison.

Where Libba beats him easily in the most important categories in the game for a MID. Makes me wonder what the selectors even look at criteria wise when picking the bench. Merret averages one more disposal, inside 50s, metres gained. Libba wins all of clearances, contested ball and tackles easy. And barely edges in score involvements. Libba is a pure two way, player who is elite on the inside, and does the hard stuff. Compared to a very outside player. Just curious what the AA selectors criteria is when it comes to deciding between two players. Merretts name alone probably sells.

Possibly true, but surely a spot on the bench compared to say, Merrett. Before the Merrett fans go sooking defensively, I am not saying he didn't deserve his spot. It is just purely a comparison.

Where Libba beats him easily in the most important categories in the game for a MID. Makes me wonder what the selectors even look at criteria wise when picking the bench. Merret averages one more disposal, inside 50s, metres gained. Libba wins all of clearances, contested ball and tackles easy. And barely edges in score involvements. Libba is a pure two way, player who is elite on the inside, and does the hard stuff. Compared to a very outside player. Just curious what the AA selectors criteria is when it comes to deciding between two players. Merretts name alone probably sells.
It's a weird one because in 2022 the top 4 players for average contested possessions all made it. This year it's just the two players in equal 4th: Bont and Serong. Then you have to go down to 8th and 28th.

Merrett is more of an outside player so I expected one of the wingmen to push him out. Dawson AND Merrett making it was a surprise. I figured Neale or Libba would take one spot. N.Daicos as a mid, to allow an extra defender in, also blocked inside mids chances.

so not one player from the team that finished 2nd on the ladder who is 2nd favourite for the GF interesting
Celebrate Stir Crazy GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

also Wilkie are you serious
You clearly know your football lol

Never would I thought I would be saying this a few years ago but I respect the Greene decision as captain. Yeah sure Bont could've gotten it and that would've been perfectly okay and no issues (fittingly named VC)

Yeah look he was a grub at the game from his debut but the amount of personal growth the man has shown to now being seen as a huge reason as to why the Giants have made the finals this year. He was suspended for the ump contact 2 years ago folks, give it a rest! He's 29 now and clearly realised and learnt to control his anger and brashness on the field into leading from the front and borderline carrying his team to finals this year.

He's the exact type of player any team would want, and tbh our game has stemmed from the hardness and ferocity that the bloke brings to the field.

Once again, never thought I'd be backing this guy up but people grow up and learn from their mistakes so I reckon credit where credit is due

25 goals in finals as a mid, I should have said. 3x Aryres medal, 3 x NSmith.
I would rate Jamie Elliot above Josh Daicos.
The AA concept is wrong as it doesn't reward genuine forwards apart from full forwards, but rewards genuine backmen.
I'm sure Tom Hawkins would have got in with Martin's stats, but Martin's dad was a biker and he didn't go to a private school.

What the actual F is that last sentence hahahahah

Probably between Libba and Merrett for the bench spot. Didn't help that Serong was named on the bench. It was a poor year for ball winning mids with Oliver injured and Cripps having a bad first half.

It does feel that Libba having no AA selections is an injustice

Also it seems Andrews/Weitering missed out because Sicily was categorized as a KPD. The seletors have tried to get 3 KPD and 3 General Defenders on the team and sice Daicos was slected as Mid, a spot opened up for Stewart. He got in ahead of the likes of Quaynor/Blakey/Luke Ryan .

Josh Daicos is not in the best 22 players in the league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back