Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a couple players that have similar numbers to Zurhaar. The two ones that are competing with him so far are Rachele and Owens. Both of them have kicked more goals than him which is the biggest indicator for this kind of award but Zurhaar is more involved with scoring, has more assists than both of them combined and has good clearance work.

At the end of the day it's a pick and choose sort of thing, genuine arguments for both sides.

There's a couple players that have similar numbers to Zurhaar. The two ones that are competing with him so far are Rachele and Owens. Both of them have kicked more goals than him which is the biggest indicator for this kind of award but Zurhaar is more involved with scoring, has more assists than both of them combined and has good clearance work.

At the end of the day it's a pick and choose sort of thing, genuine arguments for both sides.
The stats I am looking at has Owens with 6.2 score involvements and Zuurhar with 7.2 so unless Rachele is less than one I can't see how that's correct?

Unless I've misunderstood, you are suggesting that CZ has more score assists than Owens and Rachele combined yeah?

CZ - 7.2
MO - 6.2
JR - 7.2
Scoring involvements and goal assists are different things (probably should've established that).

Btw, despite Zurhaar and Rachele having the same amount of score involvements CZ has been involved in 32.2% of NM scores whilst Rachele is at 26.6%. Mainly due to the fact that Adelaide's forward line is way better than ours.

He was beaten in round 1 just 3 weeks ago.

But yes, Gawn's injury is a blessing for English.
He beat Grundy, lost to Gawn, while being one of our most influential around the ground. If all you care about is ruck contests then guys like Pittonet would be in the discussion, and yet he’s not

He was also beaten by Marshall who got the coach's votes (Or though it was almost identical stats-wise)

Having said that he would still be my AA ruck at this stage
He wasn’t beaten by Marshall. Same hitouts to advantage, similar clearance numbers/scoring from ruck contests (Marshall narrowly ahead) while English kicked a goal. His issue was the fact our midfield didn’t turn up. I thought the two broke even

English v Marshall (46 contests)
Hitouts: 14 / 22
To Advantage: 9 / 9
Clearances: 18 / 22
Score: 1.3 (9) / 2.0 (12)

He beat Grundy, lost to Gawn, while being one of our most influential around the ground. If all you care about is ruck contests then guys like Pittonet would be in the discussion, and yet he’s not
That's what I said.

I'm glad you think English was influential in a 50 point loss, but I was more impressed by Gawn, who comprehensively beat English in the ruck, while also finishing with 6 marks, 21 disposals and 2 goals.

As for English v Grundy ?

English v Grundy (21 contests)
Hitouts: 9 / 8
To Advantage: 3 / 3
Clearances: 8 / 10
Score: 0.1 (1) / 2.1 (13)

At best that's a draw for English.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wasn’t beaten by Marshall. Same hitouts to advantage, similar clearance numbers/scoring from ruck contests (Marshall narrowly ahead) while English kicked a goal. His issue was the fact our midfield didn’t turn up. I thought the two broke even

English v Marshall (46 contests)
Hitouts: 14 / 22
To Advantage: 9 / 9
Clearances: 18 / 22
Score: 1.3 (9) / 2.0 (12)
6183EE7A-9CB5-4E34-B93D-7A943EB63709.jpeg

That's what I said.

I'm glad you think English was influential in a 50 point loss, but I was more impressed by Gawn, who comprehensively beat English in the ruck, while also finishing with 6 marks, 21 disposals and 2 goals.

As for English v Grundy ?

English v Grundy (21 contests)
Hitouts: 9 / 8
To Advantage: 3 / 3
Clearances: 8 / 10
Score: 0.1 (1) / 2.1 (13)

At best that's a draw for English.
5 votes from his own coach in a winning game. They broke even in the centre, and our mids put up one of the worst games I’ve seen from them in years. That’s not on English or Marshall

5 votes from his own coach in a winning game. They broke even in the centre, and our mids put up one of the worst games I’ve seen from them in years. That’s not on English or Marshall
Pickett and Lever were wonderful in round 1.

But I don't really understand what you're getting at. Gawn comprehensively beat English and Grundy was his equal.

Pickett and Lever were wonderful in round 1.

But I don't really understand what you're getting at. Gawn comprehensively beat English and Grundy was his equal.
I don’t know what happened there, my original message must have been deleted but kept the quote. I felt English was considerably more influential than Grundy, while Gawn was better than English in the ruck contests. I didn’t think it was fair to label him as “beaten”, especially considering his work around the ground. I know fantasy is worth little, but English did outscore Gawn for example, so “beaten” feels a stretch

Sinclair and Sheezel have to be the two best half backs so far this year (I think Sheezel will drop off eventually given he’s so young). It’s always a highly competitive position because it’s quite easy for uncontested accumulators to look good, but especially in the case of Sinclair I don’t think anyone’s been as influential. Daicos, Redman, Saad and Richards would all be in the mix so far

I don’t know what happened there, my original message must have been deleted but kept the quote. I felt English was considerably more influential than Grundy, while Gawn was better than English in the ruck contests. I didn’t think it was fair to label him as “beaten”, especially considering his work around the ground. I know fantasy is worth little, but English did outscore Gawn for example, so “beaten” feels a stretch
English v Gawn (33 contests)
Hitouts: 7 / 19
To Advantage: 1 / 7
Clearances: 13 / 14
Score: 0.0 (0) / 2.1 (13)

I find that pretty comprehensive.

English v Gawn (33 contests)
Hitouts: 7 / 19
To Advantage: 1 / 7
Clearances: 13 / 14
Score: 0.0 (0) / 2.1 (13)

I find that pretty comprehensive.
So ruck contests are all that matter? By that logic, Oscar McInerney must be among the best rucks in the competition since around the ground work is irrelevant

So ruck contests are all that matter? By that logic, Oscar McInerney must be among the best rucks in the competition since around the ground work is irrelevant
I never said they were ''all that matters''. But this was their actual head to head contests. I call those contests significant.

When you add 21 disposals, 6 marks, 2 contested marks and 2 goals to those head to head ruck contests it's a pretty good day for the 6 time All Australian.

A handy contribution to a 50 point win as he bettered his main opponent.

I never said they were ''all that matters''. But this was their actual head to head contests. I call those contests significant.

When you add 21 disposals, 6 marks, 2 contested marks and 2 goals to those head to head ruck contests it's a pretty good day for the 6 time All Australian.

A handy contribution to a 50 point win as he bettered his main opponent.
Did English not get anything around the ground? I could’ve sworn he got more of the ball, laid more tackles, took more intercepts, turned it over less and had more pressure acts. Odd

Did English not get anything around the ground? I could’ve sworn he got more of the ball, laid more tackles, took more intercepts, turned it over less and had more pressure acts. Odd
He was thrashed in the head to head ruck contest, his opponent kicked 2 goals and his team was thumped by 50 points.

Gawn got coaches votes, did English ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back