Preview 2023 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally, I see Casboult in VFL. Opposition should struggle to contain King and Chol together, both 2M, quick, mobile. King looks stronger now. Add Jeffrey who can be anything and Luko sneaking in from wing/CHF. I think Luko will start there rather than to be moved back to defence.
Agreed. I have Chol well above Casboult. Casboult’s season was amazing, but Chol is our pairing with King going forward and also our second ruck.

King can also crash packs more if needed as he has seriously bulked up, assuming he doesn’t have as much speed. If he is just as fast, Chol and King will be very hard to contain just as mobile talls who can win with speed and skills at ground level too.

Add someone like Jeffery, Sexton or Rosas and it has serious goal scoring firepower.

Yeah, maybe not a physical presence of Casboult… but if our mids (or Luko) can kick to space, they will clean up more often than not.

(It will, of course, mean we can’t just bomb it long and high!)

I’d like to see our three tells play together preseason to see if they can work together. Plenty of teams have had two talls plus a ruck/forward, like King, Casboult and Chol.
I see the problem being our forward-pressure players. Do we have the small/medium pressure forwards if, Holman isn't in the 22? Luco is obviously not a forward-pressure player, either.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Agreed. I have Chol well above Casboult. Casboult’s season was amazing, but Chol is our pairing with King going forward and also our second ruck.

King can also crash packs more if needed as he has seriously bulked up, assuming he doesn’t have as much speed. If he is just as fast, Chol and King will be very hard to contain just as mobile talls who can win with speed and skills at ground level too.

Add someone like Jeffery, Sexton or Rosas and it has serious goal scoring firepower.

Yeah, maybe not a physical presence of Casboult… but if our mids (or Luko) can kick to space, they will clean up more often than not.

(It will, of course, mean we can’t just bomb it long and high!)

I don't disagree, but I can't help but think most really good forward lines have that 'thug factor' in them, and I don't see that coming from King/Chol.

I don't disagree, but I can't help but think most really good forward lines have that 'thug factor' in them, and I don't see that coming from King/Chol.
King and Chol both kicked 40+ in their last playing season. King is now a year bigger and stronger, and could gain benefits from seeing the game at a different perspective. I think Max King had a really good year but I was thinking how much he needs a Chol. Next year those 2 will go thug nasty. Chol himself is only 26, a season under his belt, in his absolute prime.

King and Chol both kicked 40+ in their last playing season. King is now a year bigger and stronger, and could gain benefits from seeing the game at a different perspective. I think Max King had a really good year but I was thinking how much he needs a Chol. Next year those 2 will go thug nasty. Chol himself is only 26, a season under his belt, in his absolute prime.
It may take some time for King to come back from ACL. I have modest expectations early, just staying healthy. Not everybody enjoys comeback like Witts. Watching Lions, it took Rayner, Hipwood 8-10 games. Budarick was also struggling early.

Could this forward set up work?
Rosas, King, Casboult
Ainsworth, Chol, Jeffrey

It could. But it leaves our forward bench spot as one of Luko or Holman (and I think they play there always).

If you bench Luko, and have Ainsworth fully taking Holman’s spot as a pressure forward, then I guess it’s fine.

I’m not sure Levi has a full season in him, personally. I prefer him as a back-up, but in fairness he is much more impactful than someone like Day and could be useful for the first part of the season while King works back.

Could this forward set up work?
Rosas, King, Casboult
Ainsworth, Chol, Jeffrey

I think depends on who we are playing at the time. We might see this for patches or even half the season but definitely not all the time.

By 'thug', I'm not talking about goals (directly).

I'm talking about defenders being worried that when they're standing under the ball, that they're going to get hurt.

If you're 10M from Casboult when the ball starts heading your way, you'd expect to get crunched, hard, by ~100Kg of key forward.

If you're 10M from King or Chol, not so much. They might get involved in the contest, and might even be more likely to end up with the ball, but it wouldn't be with the same body impact.

For an individual contest, it doesn't matter much, but over the course of the game, and even going into the next time you meet, it adds up.

A good team, and the sub-units that make it up (like forwards) are a case of the whole being greater than the sum of it's parts. A guy who brings the thug factor to the team mightn't be the best 'part', but can definitely make a bigger improvement to 'the whole'.

I'm talking about defenders being worried that when they're standing under the ball, that they're going to get hurt.

If you're 10M from Casboult when the ball starts heading your way, you'd expect to get crunched, hard, by ~100Kg of key forward.

If you're 10M from King or Chol, not so much. They might get involved in the contest, and might even be more likely to end up with the ball, but it wouldn't be with the same body impact.

For an individual contest, it doesn't matter much, but over the course of the game, and even going into the next time you meet, it adds up.

A good team, and the sub-units that make it up (like forwards) are a case of the whole being greater than the sum of it's parts. A guy who brings the thug factor to the team mightn't be the best 'part', but can definitely make a bigger improvement to 'the whole'.

I agree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

King or Chol will sit on their head one out 10m from goal, good luck. Lukosius and Jeffery need to be the 3rd tall, with Ainsworth getting well up the field and running back and then catching teams on the burst

I’d still rather the forward who ends up with the ball and kicks goals more often, but I get that’s a preference.

Casboult has pretty safe hands, but is also a pretty one-trick forward.

King and Chol are far more dynamic and have a larger bag of tricks to worry defenders. Yeah, defenders might not get physically hurt by Chol or King, but they will be a different pressure or frustration by being unable to compete with them in the air, at speed or at ground level.

Three talls is a reasonable strategy. I loved Casboult this year. But King is back and I’m not sure we run them all, and Luko, and Jeffery.

Casboult obviously very important in bringing the ball to ground if he cannot mark.

He might get occasional games through the year, particularly early, until Kibg is fully confident.

but ultimately we need chol and king doing this.

Chol had a great year. But there are lots of areas he needs to improve on. Getting to more contests and ensuring ball cones to ground if he doesnt mark is the most important IMO.

He kicked a number of goals lurking out the back of a pack and running into open goal.

But that’s only possible because casboult forced the spill.

Chol needs to take on that role with Jeffrey, rosas the guys swooping on loose balls put the back.

The mighty Brisbane Lions early 2000s had Lynch, Brown and Pike. Definitely helps the team when the forward line is scarier than the opposition defence.

Casboult obviously very important in bringing the ball to ground if he cannot mark.

He might get occasional games through the year, particularly early, until Kibg is fully confident.

but ultimately we need chol and king doing this.

Chol had a great year. But there are lots of areas he needs to improve on. Getting to more contests and ensuring ball cones to ground if he doesnt mark is the most important IMO.

He kicked a number of goals lurking out the back of a pack and running into open goal.

But that’s only possible because casboult forced the spill.

Chol needs to take on that role with Jeffrey, rosas the guys swooping on loose balls put the back.
At least with Casboult we'll know what he'll bring when he gets a game this year.

Sam Day on 147 games will most likely get to 150 for life membership, not sure what he brings.

At least with Casboult we'll know what he'll bring when he gets a game this year.

Sam Day on 147 games will most likely get to 150 for life membership, not sure what he brings.
IMO, Sam is ok depth. Played only 4 games but his stats are virtually comparable to Casboult. Question is can he stay healthy.

Casboult vs Day 2022 - goals 1.7 vs 1.5, contested possessions 4.2. vs 4.0, score involvement 4.0 vs 3.2. Casboult did get more than 1 extra mark (3.8 vs 2.5), double contested marks (1.7 vs. 0.8), but also 1 extra turnover and almost double clangers. Casboult spent 25% more time on the ground.

I
Lloyd Johnston will get a game in 2023. Bookmark this post.
wish him the best and he looks a real talent, but if you’re talking AFL debut then nah.

Expect 2023 to be settling in to a professional environment, building fitness and learning gameplan.

2024 might be in with a shout for a debut.

I

wish him the best and he looks a real talent, but if you’re talking AFL debut then nah.

Expect 2023 to be settling in to a professional environment, building fitness and learning gameplan.

2024 might be in with a shout for a debut.
One of us will be right and the other one wrong. Only this I can be sure of.

That being said, Johnston will debut in the seniors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2023 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back