BigFooty Official 2023 Bigfooty Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

PICKS AND ORDER
Round 1
Pick 1 - West Coast Eagles - Harley Reid
Pick 2 - Gold Coast Suns - Jed Walter (Matched bid) [Picks 24, 26 and 27 used to match, 203 points in the bank for next match]
Pick 3 - North Melbourne - Colby McKercher
Pick 4 - North Melbourne - Daniel Curtin
Pick 5 - Hawthorn - Zane Duursma
Pick 6 - Western Bulldogs - Nick Watson
Pick 7 - Gold Coast Suns - Ethan Read (Matched Bid) [Picks 30 and 34 used, 58 points for next match]
Pick 8 - Melbourne - Nate Caddy
Pick 9 - GWS - Ryley Sanders
Pick 10 - Geelong - Connor O'Sullivan
Pick 11 - Western Bulldogs - Jordan Croft (Matched Bid) [Picks 46, 48, 50 and 51 used, 101 points for next match]
Pick 12 - Essendon - Caleb Windsor
Pick 13 - Adelaide - Darcy Wilson
Pick 14 - Melbourne - James Leake
Pick 15 - Sydney - Zane Zakostelsky
Pick 16 - St Kilda - Ollie Murphy
Pick 17 - Adelaide - Harry Demattia
Pick 18 - North Melbourne - Mitch Edwards
Pick 19 - Gold Coast Suns - Jake Rogers (Matched Bid) [Picks 36, 60 and 65 used, 45 points for next match]
Pick 20 - GWS - Luamon Lual
Pick 21 - North Melbourne - Arie Schoenmaker
Pick 22 - North Melbourne - Riley Hardeman
Pick 23 - Hawthorn - Will McCabe (Matched bid) [Picks 42 and 45 used, 124 points for next match]
Pick 24 - Collingwood - Archie Roberts
Pick 25 - Adelaide - Taylor Goad
Pick 26 - St Kilda - Lance Collard
Pick 27 - Carlton - Koltyn Tholstrup

Round 2
Pick 28 - West Coast Eagles - Charlie Edwards
Pick 29 - Geelong - Joel Freijah
Pick 30 - Carlton - Ashton Moir
Pick 31 - Richmond - Archer Reid
Pick 32 - Brisbane - Angus Hastie
Pick 33 - Essendon - George Stevens
Pick 34 - Collingwood - Will Green
Pick 35 - Gold Coast Suns - Will Graham (Matched bid) [Pick 65 gobbled up. Deficit of 190 points applied to Gold Coasts 2023 2nd round pick]
Pick 36 - Fremantle - Luke Lloyd
Pick 37 - Hawthorn - Calsher Dear (Matched Bid) [Pick 46 used]
Pick 38 - Essendon - Tew Jiath
Pick 39 - West Coast - Wil Dawson
Pick 40 - Brisbane - Phoenix Gothard
Pick 41 - St Kilda - Harvey Johnston
Pick 42 - Richmond - Koen Sanchez
Pick 43 - Melbourne - Clay Hall
Pick 44 - GWS - Lachie Charleson

Round 3
Pick 45 - Sydney - Caiden Cleary
Pick 46 - Fremantle - Shaun Mannagh
Pick 47 - Brisbane - Cooper Simpson
Pick 48 - Brisbane - Joe Fonti
Pick 49 - Sydney - Jack Delean
Pick 50 - Western Bulldogs - Kane McAuliffe
Pick 51 - North Melbourne - Logan Morris
Pick 52 - West Coast - Will Patton
Pick 53 - GWS - Vigo Visentini
Pick 54 - Fremantle - Sam Clohesy
Pick 55 - Essendon - Michael Rudd
Pick 56 - Hawthorn - Nathan Philactides

Round 4
Pick 57 - Hawthorn - PASS
Pick 58 - Fremantle - Thomas Anastasopoulos
Pick 59 - Richmond - PASS
Pick 60 - Brisbane -PASS
Pick 61 - Richmond - PASS
Pick 62 - Western Bulldogs - Kade De La Rue
Pick 63 - Carlton - Aiden O'Driscoll
Pick 64 - Western Bulldogs - PASS
Pick 65 - Port Adelaide - Jack Callinan
Pick 66 - Western Bulldogs - PASS
Pick 67 - Geelong - Billy Wilson
Pick 68 - GWS - PASS
Pick 69 - Carlton - Sam Van Rooyen
Pick 70 - GWS - PASS
Pick 71 - Collingwood - Will Lorenz

Round to get Port Adelaide to reach the two minimum selections
Pick 72 - Port Adelaide - Tarkyn O'Leary

MINI DRAFT (2024 First Round)
Pick 1 - West Coast Eagles - Jagga Smith
Pick 2 - North Melbourne - Josh Smillie
Pick 3 - Hawthorn - Finn O'Sullivan
Pick 4 - Gold Coast Suns - Sid Draper
Pick 5 - Fremantle - Levi Ashcroft (Brisbane F/S)
Pick 6 - Richmond - Christian Moraes
Pick 7 - Geelong - Tyler Welsh (Adelaide F/S)
Pick 8 - Essendon - Tom Gross
Pick 9 - Adelaide - Sam Lalor
Pick 10 - Gold Coast Suns (From Western Bulldogs) (Pie 4 Life to select) - Leo Lombard (GCS Academy)
Pick 11 - Sydney -
Pick 12 - St Kilda - Archer Day-Wicks
Pick 13 - Melbourne - Kade Herbert
Pick 14 - Fremantle (From Port Adelaide) - Phoenix Hargrave
Pick 15 - GWS - Murphy Reid
Pick 16 - Carlton -
Pick 17 - Brisbane -
Pick 18- Fremantle (From Collingwood) -
Pick 19 - Sydney (From North Melbourne PP) -
Pick 20 - Gold Coast Suns (From North Melbourne PP) -

Last edited:
Pick 35 - Will Graham
Pick 35 - Gold Coast Suns - Will Graham
will graham.jpg
186 cm 81 kg
General Defender/ Midfielder
An extremely athletic prospect with proven form in the defensive 50 and centre square, Graham has been the forgotten man of the Suns Academy (well, not as much as Williams tbf) given the accolades of Jake Rogers, Jed Walter and Ethan Read over the last 24 months. Graham was somewhat an unknown heading into the season given his two ACL injuries, but has placed himself firmly in second round contention with his play for the Allies and Suns sides this season.

Personally, I think he was pretty clearly in the Allies best midfield rotation but was limited in his midfield opportunities due to the limitations of other players in the midfield mix, seeing him shifted to the back half which may have been a blessing in disguise really. He got to show off his rebound game and natural competiveness on the last line of defence, before moving into the midfield for the Allies final game and doing well against VIC Country.

So athletic, competitive, fairly versatile are great anywhere on the ground, but his contested game and ability to drive from congestion is what has me convinced he's a midfielder at the next level, and if he can bring a bit more damage to his disposal he'll pair well with the likes of Anderson and Rowell in future

Chris25 go again

Last edited:

Pick 32 - Angus Hastie

Height: 190cm
Weight: 74kg
Likely AFL Position: Rebounding defender / midfielder / utility

What do I like about the player? Good runner with good speed and agility (Top 10 at Combine) who just moves through congestion with ease and breaks lines. His kicking looks really good but is probably not quite as effective as it looks but I think with a bit of work it can a real weapon at AFL level. His handballing is also pretty effective. At the moment he plays half back but with his strengths I wonder if he might be one who makes a successful transition into a big bodied midfielder? There aspects of his game that remind me of David Mundy.

What are the weaknesses? As mentioned, I reckon the effectiveness of his kicking could be tidied up a little and needs to increase his disposal count. Also if he is playing half back I think he should be looking to improve his intercepting capacity; he feels more like a ground player at the moment.

Why Brisbane? Brisbane have strengths all over the ground but arguably have a list which is maybe a little more stacked with forwards than defenders. I think that Hastie could potentially play a number of roles and so that was also attractive.

eDPS you are up
We're stacked with back_flankers they aren't really a massive need
Not going to get a lot of love from Brisbane fans with this pick.

I have been saying on our board for a while that best available at our picks might be back flankers. But we’re absolutely stacked with back flankers in our reserves.

We’re now very light on for small forwards, and forward flankers, having lost most of our reserves this off season (2 delisted & 1 retired), and tall forwards.

Pick 36 - Luke Lloyd
Pick 36 Fremantle - Luke Lloyd (193cm and 84kg forward from Sandringham Dragons)

The AFL website just couldn't wait until tomorrow to post their article on him, could they?

I would have loved for someone like Freijah or Moir to drop a little further, but it wasn't to be. Kind of feels like a bit of no man's land picking here - the top names haven't slipped, but it's a touch early to go too left field. Fremantle fans would probably want to hear me call our Gothard or Delean.

It's probably not saying much since this group of key forwards is pretty poor overall, but I have Luke Lloyd as the #3 KPF behind Walter and Caddy. And if the U18 Champs was held at the end of the year, I think he would have been a key part of the Vic Metro team. He's got natural talent, but more importantly he looks to understand the game. He reminds me a bit of Jye Amiss in that he just knows where to be, whether it's on the lead or simply working into space. Good mark, good kick. I'd rather a smart 193cm forward than a 200cm tall who can run.

And the reason I like him for Fremantle is because I think he's well suited to playing an old school CHF role. Working up the ground, being that link through the centre square.

eDPS

Pick 38 - Tew Jiath
188cm - Defender

With D’Ambrosio and Lord leaving the club Essendon has no young developing half backs as cover for the future and Jiath is the perfect project with his enormous upside.

A player who has improved massively as the year has gone on he has shown a great ability to take the game on with clean and composed ball use under pressure and an impressive intercept marking game for his size. Another key feature is his ability to also shut down when needed which is always a hard trait to find when looking for quality half backs at 17-19 years old.

He will need work on his ball drop so plenty for the coaches and himself to work on there to make him a very well rounded prospect and I feel it’s one of the major reasons he is even available at this point.

Last edited:
Pick 39 - Wil Dawson
Pick # 39. West Coast :westcoast:. Wil Dawson. 200 cm 86 kg. KPP/Utility. Gippsland Power.

download-11.jpg

Dawson is a player thats grown on me as the season has progressed and after doing a bit more research on him.

Firstly he is as raw as raw, however he has many likeable attributes.

For a kid that tall, it's unusual that they have such an instinctive ground ball game, as he is very good below his knees and gets involved in winning the ball in dispute when the balls on the ground.
That also puts him into a good position to tackle if he is close at the coal face, furthermore I would say that his frequency and ability to tackle is a real point of difference , in his game for someone so tall.

The kid has long levers and a massive wing span, thats going to be difficult for opponents to counter.

The other point of difference for such a tall kid is his closing speed, while he is rather lanky, he covers a lot of ground at a surprisingly fast pace. His straight line speed is very good but so too is his sideways movement.

Kicking is more than adequate and his kicking range is complete, as he hits up the 35-45 meter passes and still has a long roost on him as well.

Now this should not be surprising given his height, but his leap and aerial ability is exceptionally good.

As is his use of his body when jostling for position under he ball before the marking contest, once he builds some mass and strength, I think he is going to be very hard to beat one on one in the high ball marking contest and pack mark.

So many parts to his game that I see real upside in, that makes it impossible for me to let him pass and run the risk of him being snapped up before my next pick

Acknowledging that I am reaching for him here, but I doubt that he will be there for my next pick and there is an even cluster that I considered at the pick, that I reckon one of which will still be on the board.

Just where he eventually plays at AFl I am not sure, thus far hr has rucked, played as a forward and as a defender.
At he very least I like his projected trajectory as a CHB.

Still only 17 and 200cm, so who knows what height he eventually peaks at, most tall's seem to add a couple of cm in the first two or three years on an AFL list.

This Kids the baby of the draft 20.12.05, had he been born a few weeks latter he would not even be eligible for this years draft.

Wil Dawson is a very impressive prospect with so many attributes that could see him develop into a really good tall, the scope for improvement is exciting.

Now this is a big call, but I watched a young raw Dean Cox running around at East Perth before he went on to be an elite AFL player, I do see quite a few of the same raw attributes in Dawsons game.

Last edited:
Pick 36 Fremantle - Luke Lloyd (193cm and 84kg forward from Sandringham Dragons)

The AFL website just couldn't wait until tomorrow to post their article on him, could they?

I would have loved for someone like Freijah or Moir to drop a little further, but it wasn't to be. Kind of feels like a bit of no man's land picking here - the top names haven't slipped, but it's a touch early to go too left field. Fremantle fans would probably want to hear me call our Gothard or Delean.

It's probably not saying much since this group of key forwards is pretty poor overall, but I have Luke Lloyd as the #3 KPF behind Walter and Caddy. And if the U18 Champs was held at the end of the year, I think he would have been a key part of the Vic Metro team. He's got natural talent, but more importantly he looks to understand the game. He reminds me a bit of Jye Amiss in that he just knows where to be, whether it's on the lead or simply working into space. Good mark, good kick. I'd rather a smart 193cm forward than a 200cm tall who can run.

And the reason I like him for Fremantle is because I think he's well suited to playing an old school CHF role. Working up the ground, being that link through the centre square.

eDPS
Saw his article today, 19 goals in a game is a absolute feast

Pick 40 - Phoenix Gothard
Pick 40 - Phoenix Gothard

Height: 178cm
Weight: 72kg
Likely AFL Position: Small forward

What do I like about the player? Top 10 in the 20m sprint and also the standing vertical jump, Gothard is fast and can be a difficult small to match up on a lead and also getting behind the play. He has a consistent kick both for goal and as a field kick up the ground and is a pretty good tackler too. At times I have wondered if he would be effective further up the ground as well.

What are the weaknesses? Whilst fast and effective on a lead or chasing someone down, I am not as convinced in terms of lateral movement which is something that is often important deep in the forward line. His disposal numbers are generally pretty low and he is very light weight and easily knocked off the ball by bigger players. I actually prefer some of the other small forwards a bit more taking the club out of it, but I went with him because of the pace that he brings which may be of value to Brisbane.

Why Brisbane? A player who brings some extra speed to the club.

TDS7 your turn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

eDPS with an early Calsher Dear bid and then nabbing young Jiath straight after and just before Hawthorn's rights to him kick in at 40.

I am visualising an ambidextrous fist pump in the EFC box from the immortal one.
Seems unlikely we would take Tew anyway with only 4 list spots available. But yes well done to eDPS for playing out exactly how Dodoro would like to exit!

188cm - Defender
Write up to come

Monocle

The early bid on the Hawthorn player to force them to match and then picking their academy player two picks before they can match him.

Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

and land another mosquito lol
Eh. Look who was taken after him in that draft. He was more than talented enough and filled a need. Unfortunately his ACL injury ruined any chance he had. Jiath is very talented and fills a need.

I don’t get people that says it’s a weak draft I think it’s a decent one. Hate that we don’t have any picks in the top 50
TBH from my limited viewing it seems better than last year, although not really a midfielders draft.

Eh. Look who was taken after him in that draft. He was more than talented enough and filled a need. Unfortunately his ACL injury ruined any chance he had. Jiath is very talented and fills a need.
The fact we didn't have another pick in the next 15 selections and still decided to pass means he was rated a mile down the list.. and when we eventually got to our selection we took Kozi who would still be on our list today if he didn't request a trade

The fact we didn't have another pick in the next 15 selections and still decided to pass means he was rated a mile down the list.. and when we eventually got to our selection we took Kozi who would still be on our list today if he didn't request a trade
Yes, and? Mozzie looked good until he did his ACL.

Again. Meh.

TBH from my limited viewing it seems better than last year, although not really a midfielders draft.
Yeah it’s a good draft of players from every position. Next year is a good draft for midfielders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back