2023 Crowds and TV/Streaming

Remove this Banner Ad

Im going to go out on a limb and say first two matches will both get 86,000+.

Richmond Carlton is sold out but members no-show rate might be high on a Thursday. Geelong Collingwood seems to be selling quickly - a couple of days ago there were rows of tickets in most of the Olympic stand and Shane Warne stand upper levels, which have now gone. It seems the only seats left are back few rows of Olympic, back few rows of Shane Warne, and the top level of ponsford. Being a Geelong home game, there’s probably a lot of GA members.

Im going to go out on a limb and say first two matches will both get 86,000+.

Richmond Carlton is sold out but members no-show rate might be high on a Thursday. Geelong Collingwood seems to be selling quickly - a couple of days ago there were rows of tickets in most of the Olympic stand and Shane Warne stand upper levels, which have now gone. It seems the only seats left are back few rows of Olympic, back few rows of Shane Warne, and the top level of ponsford. Being a Geelong home game, there’s probably a lot of GA members.

You can't actual get reserved seats now apart from singles....but you can get GA. Do we know how much GA there is available usually (beyond standing)?

You can't actual get reserved seats now apart from singles....but you can get GA. Do we know how much GA there is available usually (beyond standing)?
I dare say they will release tickets for the back few rows of the Shane Warne stand and Olympic stand tomorrow.

I had assumed they had left ponsford level four for general admin, but having looked at collingwood’s membership site it seems that level 4 is used for their away member resevered seats? So there can’t be that many seats for GA.

Is this just the second time the MCG has hosted four matches over one H&A round? I know of 2022 R1 but that’s it.

still done, just not public
Yeah I would imagine every stadium around the world privately predicts what crowd they expect at events, but the MCG website used to publicly post these estimates and it was always good fun to check them and then compare them to how it went in reality

Is this just the second time the MCG has hosted four matches over one H&A round? I know of 2022 R1 but that’s it.

Also R1 2009, R1 1999, R21 1998, Rds 1, 8 & 11 1997, R7 1996, R12 1992.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Friday’s match now coming up with ‘general public allocation exhausted’.

There seemed to have been a couple of new bays opened up yesterday too.
Think there’s still a few AFL Members tickets available for Friday. The back few rows are available.

The record attendance at the MCG for 1 round of footy is 226,902 from Round 1 2009 (4 matches). We should completely smash that this week.

If things break favourably, only 3 games would be needed to do it as well. Certainly not beyond the realms of possibility that there is 170k across the first 2 matches and more than 55k for Ess/Haw. Melb/WB would just be the gravy.

Really hard to say what the Hawthorn v Essendon will draw this weekend. Mid 60’s perhaps?
Ticket sales are sluggish. There’s a bit of cellar dweller feel to this encounter. Essendon being the away club would be relied upon to have a big rollup to achieve a crowd like that. That would be the case if they were optimistic and up and about.

Given Essendon supporters are as disillusioned as they are, and frankly not overly excited about the year ahead, this won’t draw a huge crowd.

Round 1 and all that can only take this so far.

Upwards of 55,000 my tip.

Ticket sales are sluggish. There’s a bit of cellar dweller feel to this encounter. Essendon being the away club would be relied upon to have a big rollup to achieve a crowd like that. That would be the case if they were optimistic and up and about.

Given Essendon supporters are as disillusioned as they are, and frankly not overly excited about the year ahead, this won’t draw a huge crowd.

Round 1 and all that can only take this so far.

Upwards of 55,000 my tip.
Yep, I agree. Supporters have lost faith in the clubs direction. It will take a long time until they install trust back into the club. The list management over the younger plays (Cox, Reid, Jones, Tsatas, Hobbs) is something that needs to be fixed.

Friday’s match now coming up with ‘general public allocation exhausted’.

There seemed to have been a couple of new bays opened up yesterday too.
Tickets back on sale - they’ve opened the back ten rows of the top level of light green seats in mcc for general public.

It’s a bit cheeky - provisional mcc members don’t get access to this match, and now they’re re-selling mcc seats.

General admin is no longer on sale.

Tickets back on sale - they’ve opened the back ten rows of the top level of light green seats in mcc for general public.

It’s a bit cheeky - provisional mcc members don’t get access to this match, and now they’re re-selling mcc seats.

General admin is no longer on sale.
MCC emailed this morning that provisional members now have access to unreserved seating in levels 1 and 4.

I'm liking the effort to get those MCC seats filled for Friday night. It was always going to be a tall order to fill them with just full MCC members given that the game is sandwiched between the marquee season opener and the Demons' first game.

Should always be the way if the outer is sold out and either the MCC or AFL members is lagging behind in sales.

The record attendance at the MCG for 1 round of footy is 226,902 from Round 1 2009 (4 matches).

If we get 90,88,65 and 55 at the MCG matches it would total 298.000 ( to put that into perspective the NRL has taken two full rounds to reach a 299,000 total ) and if the other 5 matches get 140,000 the total of 438,000 would easily break the current first round record of 401,000.

Last edited:
The record attendance at the MCG for 1 round of footy is 226,902 from Round 1 2009 (4 matches).

If we get 90,88,65 and 55 at the MCG matches it would total 298.000 ( to put that into perspective the NRL has taken two full rounds to reach a 299,000 total ) and if the other 5 matches get 140,000 the total of 438,000 would easily break the current first round record of 401,000.

I'll give the (slightly) more pessimistic view:

It's hard to get more than 90k to H&A games, as shown by Coll/Carl in R23 last year, which despite more anticipation than any normal H&A game for years and 'selling out' way in advance still only got 88k.

So be prepared for high 80s on Thursday and low 80s on Friday.

Melbourne got 58k against WB as a season opener and GF rematch but have very few other 50k games against non Big 4 teams. This is tricky to predict but I wouldn't be surprised to see it stall in the 40s.

Ess/Haw has currently underwhelming ticket sales but maybe people know they don't need to reserve a seat and can just turn up. Maybe 55-60k.

As for the rest, home games against interstate opposition for StK, North, GC, GWS and Port is about as bad a combination as is possible. Are we expecting any more than 10-15k for either the GC or GWS games? St Kilda and North v the Perth teams at Docklands both look like being mid 20s if we're lucky. Port hardly ever get to 45k if it's not a Showdown.

We could easily be looking at only 120k between those 5 games.

What's hurting here is the lack of a Perth game. Switch one of the Marvel games to Perth (as would normally be expected) and you can add 20-30k and 400k in total would be a breeze.

As it is I think it'll be touch and go for the overall round record.

Hopefully though your prediction is closer than mine. Would be great to smash 400k!

I'll give the (slightly) more pessimistic view:

It's hard to get more than 90k to H&A games, as shown by Coll/Carl in R23 last year, which despite more anticipation than any normal H&A game for years and 'selling out' way in advance still only got 88k.

So be prepared for high 80s on Thursday and low 80s on Friday.

Melbourne got 58k against WB as a season opener and GF rematch but have very few other 50k games against non Big 4 teams. This is tricky to predict but I wouldn't be surprised to see it stall in the 40s.

Ess/Haw has currently underwhelming ticket sales but maybe people know they don't need to reserve a seat and can just turn up. Maybe 55-60k.

As for the rest, home games against interstate opposition for StK, North, GC, GWS and Port is about as bad a combination as is possible. Are we expecting any more than 10-15k for either the GC or GWS games? St Kilda and North v the Perth teams at Docklands both look like being mid 20s if we're lucky. Port hardly ever get to 45k if it's not a Showdown.

We could easily be looking at only 120k between those 5 games.

What's hurting here is the lack of a Perth game. Switch one of the Marvel games to Perth (as would normally be expected) and you can add 20-30k and 400k in total would be a breeze.

As it is I think it'll be touch and go for the overall round record.

Hopefully though your prediction is closer than mine. Would be great to smash 400k!
Yep the lack of a Perth match is a bummer and Stadium management should have never booked Ed Sheeran so close to the AFL season where they make most of their money not one off concerts.

Remove this Banner Ad

2023 Crowds and TV/Streaming

Remove this Banner Ad

Back