2023 Crowds and TV/Streaming

Remove this Banner Ad

This hopefully gives a sense of Essendon Marvel crowds. Below where public reserved seats sales up to, each goal end. The wings up to halfway back are club reserved seats so assume that for 40K+ the GA walkup on the night needs to be big enough to fill the back ~10 rows of level 3 all the way around.

Level 1/2 are either club member seats (65%), Medallion Club (20%) or AFL members (15%).

Hopefully this gives a view. In summary, big walkup required to have any chance of 40,000 tonight given expectation Essendon member reserved seating won’t be well filled tonight after two poor losses.View attachment 1758834View attachment 1758835

Always good with this stuff Dave!
Hope they get a good roll out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Gather Round has had the lowest average attendance for a round this season so far. And is the only one below 30,000.

9bdec0f5359d686bd9c998c93157b369.jpg

Round 20 looks to be above 30,000. Let’s hope the remaining 4 rounds can as well.

Lowest Essendon home game against Sydney since 1994, lowest ever at Docklands.
Yep, poor members rollup the defining factor as I predicted.

I can’t help but wonder how a couple of sellouts the last two home games changes behaviours of the casual fans thinking of making a decision during the day to go, preventing them turning up last night and reducing the attendances at the venue. To this, my brother and his two kids had to cancel their plans on game day for that recent Crows ‘sellout’ a few weeks back when the venue declared sellout game day morning. They decided not to go last night for fear of being locked out at the gate prior to match time. They didn’t want to pay the extra fees required to upgrade to a reserved seat so watched from home. At the MCG, they normally just walkup and sit in top deck of Southern as a GA club member. So, that’s ‘3’ off the crowd figure just from recent events of a stadium not functioning optimally. This another one live example how Marvel limits crowds.

Further, 2023 has seen the ‘sellout’ crowd for Essendon drop curiously from ~45,000 to around 39-43K. Last night didn’t sell out, however the GA on level 3 looked all but full from the naked eye, indicating it was essentially pretty close to being ‘sold out’.

So moving forward, Essendon execs (and game stakeholders) have a challenge as to how the optimise the capacity of 55,000 at the venue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can this year remain the highest average crowd since Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney were introduced?

e9bdab932b4cc1403ce6dcf8acb5468b.jpg

Edit:
Interestingly, without the GWS and GCS home games, the average goes up to a record 39,173.
Why is it only ever gws and gcs that are blamed for lower averages?

Why are Vic based teams who sell home games to low drawing venues like Alice Springs, Ballarat or Tasmania never mentioned in this conversation?

Why is it only ever gws and gcs that are blamed for lower averages?

Why are Vic based teams who sell home games to low drawing venues like Alice Springs, Ballarat or Tasmania never mentioned in this conversation?

Don't think it is about blaming so much as making like for like comparisons. Although I am pretty sure there are more games sold to small regional stadiums than 15 years ago too

Implications of Richmond Melbourne are huge for both sides today. Richmond given geelong lost and Melbourne have a potential pathway to second.

Anything under 60k would be disappointing but rain is expected for most of the game. For me it needs to be more than the 62k for Richmond at kilda. Afl reserve sales are very poor but MCC has done well in the back half of the week.

It was always going to be shorter than the 10k vs Adelaide. I think it’s good.

Infact it sits 5th highest, bit better than the Brisbane game.
NO it is not!.

A vital match between two top 8 teams played with a not full pissy stadium stuck in the industrial waste land in North Ballart is disgrace form the AFL
The ground itself is pathetic and NOT up to AFL standard in Victoria and obviously the Bulldogs and the local Ballart football fans could not less about going to Mars

If it wasn't for the Victorian tipping in our taxes to prop up these match's the AFL would NEVER play there.
The other thing it is denying many thousands of supporters seeing the game live if it was played at Marvel!

Implications of Richmond Melbourne are huge for both sides today. Richmond given geelong lost and Melbourne have a potential pathway to second.

Anything under 60k would be disappointing but rain is expected for most of the game. For me it needs to be more than the 62k for Richmond at kilda. Afl reserve sales are very poor but MCC has done well in the back half of the week.
You’d hope people don’t look at the forecast and decide to not turn up. Beautiful sunny morning so far in Melbourne.

The ground itself is pathetic and NOT up to AFL standard in Victoria and obviously the Bulldogs and the local Ballart football fans could not less about going to Mars

If it wasn't for the Victorian tipping in our taxes to prop up these match's the AFL would NEVER play there.
The other thing it is denying many thousands of supporters seeing the game live if it was played at Marvel!

And what have you based any of this on?

I’d expect a very empty AFL Reserve, a pretty Full General Public and a 60% full MCC.

About 60K is where it should fall.
Will be interesting to see if kids free, bring a mate for free and 20% off Level 1 tickets makes a difference.

A loss last week and it would have been 45K so it’s all positive

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

And what have you based any of this on?
I have been to the ground a number of times and to me it is not AFL standard for a city the size of Ballarat that is only about an hour from Melbourne anyway so tell me this spending millions on the stadium and the matches in HEARTLAND Australian Football territory like Ballarat (don't forget Ballarat had teams in the VFA before some of the current AFL clubs did) so show me that spending millions is not a waste of taxpayers money for a couple of badly attended matches?
Your mob cannot even fill an 11,000 cap stadium in a very large regional town that has had Aussie Rules played there for over 150 years!
The State Govt is stupid to spend/waste anymore money on this failed project.

If you count the Gather Round games separately (as the AFL is doing), the season total ticked over 6 million yesterday. Even if you're not it will pass that figure today anyway.

A H&A season has never reached 7 million before and with 4 rounds to go we should smash through that. With luck we'll also get there by the end of Round 23.

Gather Round has had the lowest average attendance for a round this season so far. And is the only one below 30,000.

Round 20 looks to be above 30,000. Let’s hope the remaining 4 rounds can as well.

This round will be the 12th for the season to be above 300k. This ties the record from 2018 & 2019, with the almost certain prospect of at least 2 (if not all 4) more in the last 4 rounds.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

2023 Crowds and TV/Streaming

Remove this Banner Ad

Back