Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a good time to pin this:

OOC players:
  • Michael Hibberd (retired)
  • Deakyn Smith (delisted)
  • Andy Moniz-Wakefield
  • Jake Melksham (delisted, will be re-drafted as a rookie)
  • Luke Dunstan (retired)
  • James Jordon (signed with Sydney as a Free Agent)
  • Kye Turner (delisted)
Traded out:
  • James Harmes (Bulldogs)
  • Brodie Grundy (Sydney)
Traded in:
  • Tom Fullarton (Brisbane)
  • Jack Billings (St Kilda)
  • Shane McAdam (Adelaide)
Drafted:
  • Caleb Windsor (Pick 7)
  • Koltyn Tholstrup (Pick 13)
  • Kynan Brown (Rookie)

Last edited:
Lumumba my most hated Dees player. Worked out about as well as I expected.
I remember railing against the move because he was wildly overrated but I grew to like him.

campaigner was the perfect caricature of a dumb arse who thought he was intelligent/enlightened. Should have signed him and Matty Bate for life and gave them a podcast.

I remember railing against the move because he was wildly overrated but I grew to like him.

campaigner was the perfect caricature of a dumb arse who thought he was intelligent/enlightened. Should have signed him and Matty Bate for life and gave them a podcast.

He came here for a working holiday, guy would put in for time off every 4 weeks, self diagnose concussions with no evidence of getting one to get out of training/set himself up for a future lawsuit.

If anyone was the dumb arse it was the MFC for not being able to see all of that coming.

He came here for a working holiday, guy would put in for time off every 4 weeks, self diagnose concussions with no evidence of getting one to get out of training/set himself up for a future lawsuit.

If anyone was the dumb arse it was us for not being able to see all of that coming.
Even if he was putting in 100% he was a ball spraying hack who wasn't even quick anymore. I did catch you for second though didn't I?

**** me, it was funny the shit he'd come up with. Would love to pull a big bong and listen to him talk dip shit philosophy for a half hour.

Even if he was putting in 100% he was a ball spraying hack who wasn't even quick anymore. I did catch you for second though didn't I?

* me, it was funny the s**t he'd come up with. Would love to pull a big bong and listen to him talk dip s**t philosophy for a half hour.

I thought my hate for Lumimba was at least rational, my irrational hate for Chris Heffernan and Shannon Byrnes was weird though. **** those two tilted me so hard for some reason.

I thought my hate for Lumimba was at least rational, my irrational hate for Chris Heffernan and Shannon Byrnes was weird though. * those two tilted me so hard for some reason.
That was easy, especially Heffernan. He was like a fancier ANB at Essington and then came over and displayed the urgency of a stoned Jack Watts. Could have called him Jogmode. Never got out of second gear. I think Byrnes was more cooked than checked out though. Dude was nothing without the extra leg speed.

That was easy, especially Heffernan. He was like a fancier ANB at Essington and then came over and displayed the urgency of a stoned Jack Watts. Could have called him Jogmode. Never got out of second gear. I think Byrnes was more cooked than checked out though. Dude was nothing without the extra leg speed.

Yeah I think I despised Heffernan coz I expected more when we got him. Such a terrible and underwhelming player. Felt like he was gifted games based on reputation.

Yeah I think I despised Heffernan coz I expected more when we got him. Such a terrible and underwhelming player. Felt like he was gifted games based on reputation.
I think he was heartbroken at Sheedy giving him the arse and just collecting pay and filling in time. Reckon he's my least favourite recruit all time. I was triggered by a) recruiting some as shit as Gillies and b) giving him Rivers' number and c) giving him a game in the seniors but he didn't last long enough for me to proper go nuts.

As you say though, Heffernan was there each week just existing.

Look, I get where you're both coming from. I'm just saying we can hardly take the high ground here as it's something we've certainly done with players before.

There are plenty of these meetings that don't make it to the media, too. All just part of the current climate, no use getting too worked up about one of our reserves players looking elsewhere.

It's only the timing that I don't like. Absolutely no problems with the meeting itself.

Future 1st? Lol...

We've banished the bloke to VFL level because hes one dimensional and besides playing ruck he's useless anywhere else on the ground.

Name one more example a club has paid a 1st round pick for a ruckman that's wasting away at VFL level?

Us with cement hands Chris Dawes, close to a first rounder anyway - pick 20 I think it was, bloke was every much of a fringe player as Grundy is. Except he would’ve been fringe in any team whereas Grundy won’t be.

The scenario I put up has a F2 going back as well, can’t remember well but don’t think we got much change for Dawes.

Last edited:
I thought my hate for Lumimba was at least rational, my irrational hate for Chris Heffernan and Shannon Byrnes was weird though. * those two tilted me so hard for some reason.
To be honest I thought lumumba at least seem to care and made en effort. I felt Heffernan just didn't have his heart in it, maybe Byrne's to a certain extent but only because he couldn't get a game at Geelong. But I feel with Byrne's by the end did buy into the club in the end, pretty sure he did runner after he retired as well.

The other thing about Heffernan, his trade reminds me a little bit like treloar to the doggies. He didn't publicly say anything but it had that dumped girlfriend vibe about it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think my hate for Lumumba stemmed from the fact that when he ran it looked like he was trying to knee himself in the face, yet he still moved with all the pace (and grace) of a baby elephant trying to escape a mud pit.

Us with cement hands Chris Dawes, close to a first rounder anyway - pick 20 I think it was, bloke was every much of a fringe player as Grundy is. Except he would’ve been fringe in any team whereas Grundy won’t be.

The scenario I put up has a F2 going back as well, can’t remember well but don’t think we got much change for Dawes.
Dawes was back in 2012.

This is 2023.

Tim Harrington and Mark Neeld aren't running the show anymore.

Port will probably give us 37 and we'll do something like swap our future 4th for their future 3rd. We might hold out for a bit to get an earlier second, depending on what they do with BZT.

Goody won't stand in his way. He and Max clearly feel bad that Gawn wasn't good enough to play fwd/ruck, and that the vision we sold Grundy was therefore never gonna work. Grundy himself wasn't spectacular, albeit we knew he was returning from injury, but asking him to be a FF was a bit of a piss take given he has no aerial marking ability. It was a team first move that lasted three weeks, and it sounds like Grundy didn't have a sook about it.

If this was 2022, Grundy would have been picked every week regardless. Its a bit embarrassing how it has played out, we clearly didn't have any kind of master plan, but who cares? Its good to know the match committee is rigorous this season.

I do worry that he'll do good things for Port, and we're essentially giving an opponent a huge leg up, but good clubs need to worry about themselves first as Collingwood did last year.

Will no doubt be the kind of thing that has already been arranged. We are notoriously easy to deal with.

Nick Bryan and another year of Schache will do ok to cover us in the ruck.

Spruce Preuss or Majak Daw out of retirement please.

Dawes was back in 2012.

This is 2023.

Tim Harrington and Mark Neeld aren't running the show anymore.

Need to remember Grundy has played more matches and kicked more goals in 2023 then he did in 2022.

He also has no injury clouds like he did 12 months ago and we still gave up the pick which would have gotten us Jakob Ryan, all while he was being pushed out by Collingwood.

Pick 27 should be an absolute minimum we take when on face value it should be higher due to him now being fit and ready to fire and with the Dees also happy to keep him/not pushing him out.

It isn’t up to the Dees to get this deal done, it’s on Port to come up with something to satisfy us and it will need to be something of value, not a dinky 3rd rounder which is all they have now. They are practically begging him to join publicly so it would be a huge embarrassment if it fell through on there side.

We don’t need the cap space and once you consider paying some of his salary at Port (say 150k) and paying a new backup ruckman (say 250k) we are only really talking an odd 250k or so anyway. Bloody Harmes and Tomo are on double that each themselves.

with grundy likely leaving what kind of lower tier rucks are on the market to back up gawn every now and then
Off the top of my head:
  • Tom Fullarton
  • Mabior Chol (though more a forward)
  • Matthew Flynn
  • Sam Hayes (if Grundy goes to Port)
  • Nick Bryan
  • Braydon Preuss
  • Jordon Sweet
There are always a handful of options in the offseason ruck merry-go-round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad