Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a good time to pin this:

OOC players:
  • Michael Hibberd (retired)
  • Deakyn Smith (delisted)
  • Andy Moniz-Wakefield
  • Jake Melksham (delisted, will be re-drafted as a rookie)
  • Luke Dunstan (retired)
  • James Jordon (signed with Sydney as a Free Agent)
  • Kye Turner (delisted)
Traded out:
  • James Harmes (Bulldogs)
  • Brodie Grundy (Sydney)
Traded in:
  • Tom Fullarton (Brisbane)
  • Jack Billings (St Kilda)
  • Shane McAdam (Adelaide)
Drafted:
  • Caleb Windsor (Pick 7)
  • Koltyn Tholstrup (Pick 13)
  • Kynan Brown (Rookie)

Last edited:
Explosive athlete, can get up and take a big hanger too. Reckon if you got him fit (coz I dont really think he is) he could be anything.

Might turn out to be a Sylvia where he simply doesnt want it enough but thats why you'd have a chat with him first before trading to try and get an understanding for where he's at mentally.
An this whole risk thing is so overblown, Stkilda copped a heap of shit for Lovett being a failure but you never hear how it was a failure when pick 14 doesn't make it cause no one cares.

I agree he could be anything he's an AA level player for sure

Some encouraging stats about Tarryn Thomas is that he showed in the final third of the 2023 season a real capacity to lift his output, especially his tackling. Not just a couple of games but a period of around 8 weeks. That to me shows he does have the capacity to knuckle down and play disciplined football in addition to his noted flashy stuff.
I’m a buyer if we could get him at pick 15 or thereabouts. Genuine top 10 midfield talent who’s effectively done his apprenticeship and would slot seamlessly into our premiership contending 22. Can be plugged into HBF, wing or HF without any trouble and would be an auto upgrade on guys like Salem, Hunter and ANB across those three positions.

First chart shows average disposals increase from 2022-23 (12.9 up to 19.8 / game) and tackling numbers up (2.8 - 4.8 / game).

FFF98D14-EFF4-44B7-B2C1-5E582846104B.jpeg

Second chart shows consistency of performance over last ten games of 2023. Only a couple of quiet ones but tellingly good tackling/pressure numbers always there.

72ED6705-1167-488F-B8C4-652C6C5BA36B.jpeg

Last edited:

What a bizarre end to his career too, still don't quite know what happened there.

He slipped up for sure (be it drugs or alcohol ) We were nice enough to let him "retire" rather than publically shame him with the real reason....you know he slipped up coz I think a year ago he was saying he wanted to make a comeback and play AFL again. We were his last chance saloon, had far too many chances already.
Shame, such a waste of talent.

What a bizarre end to his career too, still don't quite know what happened there.

Drugs and alcohol over an extended period zap your ‘chi’. By the time Harley was 29 his physiology looked 35 and cooked. The will was there but his zip and bounce was gone. Such a shame. Great talent.

Last edited:
He slipped up for sure (be it drugs or alcohol ) We were nice enough to let him "retire" rather than publically shame him with the real reason....you know he slipped up coz I think a year ago he was saying he wanted to make a comeback and play AFL again. We were his last chance saloon, had far too many chances already.
Shame, such a waste of talent.
it sounded like he broke covid protocols and went out and got on the piss and was very quickly 'retired', not much else came out after that. Weird career, good on him for giving it another go though, still remember the first goal he kicked for us, think it was against GC too.

it sounded like he broke covid protocols and went out and got on the piss and was very quickly 'retired', not much else came out after that. Weird career, good on him for giving it another go though, still remember the first goal he kicked for us, think it was against GC too.
The club's were under very strict rules and were lucky to be allowed to travel interstate at all. So if he broke COVID protocols fair enough.

Reckon when he signed with us his contract would have had some strict conditions in it. One slip up and you're out the door. Not sure he really ever grasped what "last chance" meant as he'd been let off things coz of his talent his entire career.

The club's were under very strict rules and were lucky to be allowed to travel interstate at all. So if he broke COVID protocols fair enough.

We had to pay the full fine as Spargo and Koz had already breached protocols whilst in vic, and considering how the QLD state government wouldn’t have been happy with the AFL repeatedly breaching protocols it was a cut and dry decision. If you read Pert in the article he is actually quite savage on Bennell, he was defs being cut after this happened.

We had to pay the full fine as Spargo and Koz had already breached protocols whilst in vic, and considering how the QLD state government wouldn’t have been happy with the AFL repeatedly breaching protocols it was a cut and dry decision. If you read Pert in the article he is actually quite savage on Bennell, he was defs being cut after this happened.

We should have asked the AFL to fine us 50k per match for the Cairns losses.

Played footy against Harley Bennnell this year at country level and the guy is still ridiculously talented that it's actually sad he's not in the AFL system anymore.

He kicked 5 against us playing solely as a midfielder even though we still won. Found myself just marvelling at how easy he made it look.

A few of us had a beer with him after the game and he was honestly such a top fella.

People forget just how ****ing good he was in his early days at the Suns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think The Wizard will be a little disappointed with his game here. With Eastern well on top and plenty of goals being kicked, a big bag could have been coming his way but he never quite put it all together on the day.

Note: the broadcast was having technical difficulties, so we missed out on the first half of quarter 1.

Don't reckon when two rival companies are in the midst of a buy out or merger type scenario one of the managers goes across and has a meeting with the head and execs of the other company.

Wouldn't take much for Grundy to slide some game plan info over if he's that annoyed at the situation
What would be in it for him to do that?

Played footy against Harley Bennnell this year at country level and the guy is still ridiculously talented that it's actually sad he's not in the AFL system anymore.

He kicked 5 against us playing solely as a midfielder even though we still won. Found myself just marvelling at how easy he made it look.

A few of us had a beer with him after the game and he was honestly such a top fella.

People forget just how ******* good he was in his early days at the Suns.
consistently acted like a twat off the field. Even Ted Bundy was extremely charismatic so I don't really buy into how people come across. Harley consistently made bad choices. *Didn't mean to compare him to Ted :)

No doubt, but I don't see any reason he'd tell them this year.
He's hurt and bitter about playing 2s and make to be forward? Not saying it definitely happened but meeting with a top 4 rival on the eve of finals is still shit. Meet with a team out of the finals

consistently acted like a twat off the field. Even Ted Bundy was extremely charismatic so I don't really buy into how people come across. Harley consistently made bad choices. *Didn't mean to compare him to Ted :)

I had him pegged more of an Ed Kemper or John Wayne Gacy type but we’re all entitled to our opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back