Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a good time to pin this:

OOC players:
  • Michael Hibberd (retired)
  • Deakyn Smith (delisted)
  • Andy Moniz-Wakefield
  • Jake Melksham (delisted, will be re-drafted as a rookie)
  • Luke Dunstan (retired)
  • James Jordon (signed with Sydney as a Free Agent)
  • Kye Turner (delisted)
Traded out:
  • James Harmes (Bulldogs)
  • Brodie Grundy (Sydney)
Traded in:
  • Tom Fullarton (Brisbane)
  • Jack Billings (St Kilda)
  • Shane McAdam (Adelaide)
Drafted:
  • Caleb Windsor (Pick 7)
  • Koltyn Tholstrup (Pick 13)
  • Kynan Brown (Rookie)

Last edited:
What would each team be offering WC for pick 1? North 2 and 15 for 1 versus us offering 6, 11 and our future first? Or would North potentially be giving away 2, 15 and one of their other late firsts this year. If they are only offering 2 and 15 we could be in the conversation.

Note: I am not saying we should or shouldn't do it, I genuinely have no idea what I want at this stage. Think I am leaning towards just keep the picks and take them to the draft.

2 and 15 is a significantly stronger offer than 6 and 11.
Pick 2 guarantees West Coast whatever player in the draft they want apart from Reid and Walter. Pick 6 you've missed the chance at 6 of the best players in the draft. West Coast would be mad to downgrade that far.

If West Coast trade 1 to North for 2 and 15 they would likely still need more than 6 and 11 from us for pick 2.

Is it possible to turn Grundy into McAdam and Fullarton?

Melbourne:
Out: Grundy
In: McAdam and Fullarton

Adelaide:
Out: McAdam
In: Future 2nd

Sydney:
Out: Pick 47, Future 2nd
In: Grundy

Brisbane:
Out: Fullarton
In: Pick 47

Fixed that one...(though it's our future 2nd and not the Swans')

Pick 2 guarantees West Coast whatever player in the draft they want apart from Reid and Walter. Pick 6 you've missed the chance at 6 of the best players in the draft. West Coast would be mad to downgrade that far.

If West Coast trade 1 to North for 2 and 15 they would likely still need more than 6 and 11 from us for pick 2.

It's actually not a better offer for them though if they think/know they can get Curtin at 6. That's who they want if they're not taking pick 1 and drafting Reid (which I still don't think they will do). So they would still get their number 1 target at 6 and then 11 is better than 15 because they have an earlier second pick to grab another target.

I think we're still a very real chance to get pick 1 and Reid. Understand the Curtin love but still feel that Reid is another level and if we nab him we'll never look back and regret trading up for him. And Watson and Sanders will be much better players than many on here are giving them credit for. Watched a decent amount of both of them and they're going to be very good players. If we end up keeping 6 and drafting one of them we'll end up being very happy with either of them, in my view.

It's actually not a better offer for them though if they think/know they can get Curtin at 6. That's who they want if they're not taking pick 1 and drafting Reid (which I still don't think they will do). So they would still get their number 1 target at 6 and then 11 is better than 15 because they have an earlier second pick to grab another target.

I think we're still a very real chance to get pick 1 and Reid. Understand the Curtin love but still feel that Reid is another level and if we nab him we'll never look back and regret trading up for him. And Watson and Sanders will be much better players than many on here are giving them credit for. Watched a decent amount of both of them and they're going to be very good players. If we end up keeping 6 and drafting one of them we'll end up being very happy with either of them, in my view.

There's a few big 'ifs' in there though. West Coast are going to pass up Reid, McKercher, Duursma etc to pick Curtin? Yes they love to draft the highest rated local but that's a huge call if other clubs at the top don't rate Curtin top 6.

The other flaw is that under that theory if North want pick 1 and Reid all they have to do is guarantee they'll draft Curtin at 2 or 3 if West Coast don't trade with them. 11 isn't that much better than 15 but pick 2 is worth heaps more than pick 6.

Yes I agree but in my post I put that we could/would have to offer our future first as well. This could be 9-15ish.

There's a few big 'ifs' in there though. West Coast are going to pass up Reid, McKercher, Duursma etc to pick Curtin? Yes they love to draft the highest rated local but that's a huge call if other clubs at the top don't rate Curtin top 6.

The other flaw is that under that theory if North want pick 1 and Reid all they have to do is guarantee they'll draft Curtin at 2 or 3 if West Coast don't trade with them. 11 isn't that much better than 15 but pick 2 is worth heaps more than pick 6.

Doubt West Coast would pick up the phone unless JVR was included with 6+11.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast wants Reid, and Reid is happy to go there.

Sick of how this non-story keeps getting dredged up.

You have no idea if either of those things are true.
Of course West Coast aren't going to say they don't want Reid, and it's frowned upon for draftees to announce they don't want to go interstate, particularly the certain number one pick.

Don’t think West Coast are a realistic chance of taking anyone except Reid or Curtin though. Reid if they have pick 1, Curtin if they don’t. They’ve always shown a preference to draft local talent and this year there is a clear stand out prospect and the only reason they won’t take him is Reid in my opinion

You have no idea if either of those things are true.
Of course West Coast aren't going to say they don't want Reid, and it's frowned upon for draftees to announce they don't want to go interstate, particularly the certain number one pick.

Sure - let's disregard all of Reid's media appearances where he has given answers in the affirmative saying that he is happy to move interstate so you can keep posting your fan fiction.

He has no ties to Melbourne so unsure why some people have a massive hard-on for him wanting to stay in Victoria.

But I'll take it if we get him.

Look forward to getting two first-rounders from Freo for him in two years, then watching his career go to s**t

Would prefer he stays and is good thank you.

Sure - let's disregard all of Reid's media appearances where he has given answers in the affirmative saying that he is happy to move interstate so you can keep posting your fan fiction.

He has no ties to Melbourne so unsure why some people have a massive hard-on for him wanting to stay in Victoria.

Yeah it would be totally unprecedented for a footy player to say the lines they're told to say in their press appearances. Have you never heard of PR? These kids are drilled by management on what to say and what not to say.

Have a look at the reaction when a draftee declares that they'd prefer not to go interstate. They're well advised not to say it.

The decision for West Coast is whether it's worth the risk of drafting a kid who will be followed by constant attempts to get him to request a trade every year, or to cash in their number 1 pick for 2 or 3 really good picks which they desperately need. You'd have to be totally naive to think West Coast aren't having those discussions.

Yeah it would be totally unprecedented for a footy player to say the lines they're told to say in their press appearances. Have you never heard of PR? These kids are drilled by management on what to say and what not to say.

Have a look at the reaction when a draftee declares that they'd prefer not to go interstate. They're well advised not to say it.

The decision for West Coast is whether it's worth the risk of drafting a kid who will be followed by constant attempts to get him to request a trade every year, or to cash in their number 1 pick for 2 or 3 really good picks which they desperately need. You'd have to be totally naive to think West Coast aren't having those discussions.

This whole scenario is concocted in your head. The top flight draftees have a sook every year.

Sheezel kicked up a fuss when he was being floated as a potential #1 pick to GWS.

JHF was also another sook that kicked off a bidding war for the #1 pick, but North backed themselves in.

Keep writing your fan fiction.

This whole scenario is concocted in your head. The top flight draftees have a sook every year.

Sheezel kicked up a fuss when he was being floated as a potential #1 pick to GWS.

JHF was also another sook that kicked off a bidding war for the #1 pick, but North backed themselves in.

Keep writing your fan fiction.

You as a supporter or Luke Jackson's former team surely aren't using JHF as an example of draftees staying where they're recruited in reference to Tim Kelly's team are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back