List Mgmt. 2023 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key Trade & Draft Dates
Key Dates:

Trade Period, October 6–18
  • Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period: Friday, October 6, 9am – Friday October 13, 5pm (bid matching ends Monday October 16, 5pm)
  • Trade Period (1), picks & players: Monday, October 9, 9am – Wednesday October 18, 7.30pm
Quiet Period, October 19–November 20
  • Trade Period (2), picks only: Monday, October 23, 9am – Friday November 10, 5pm
  • List Lodgement 1*: Tuesday, October 31, 2pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1): Wednesday, November 1, 9am – Wednesday November 8, 5pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2): Friday, November 10, 9am–5pm
  • List Lodgement 2*: Tuesday, November 14, 2pm
Draft Period, November 20–22
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Monday, November 20, time and venue TBA
  • Trade Period (3), picks only: Tuesday, November 21, 5.45pm–6.30pm
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Tuesday, November 21, 7pm until completion
  • Rookie Promotions: Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Wednesday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3.20pm
  • Final List Lodgement*: Thursday, November 23, 4pm
* List lodgement dates are yet to be made public, so are approximate based on past history and the requirements of the AFL Rules. When lists are lodged, the number of players on the list must not exceed maximum list sizes. At the same time, clubs must provide the AFL with estimates of total player payments in the current and following year, which must prove the club is not and will not exceed the salary cap. (AFL Rules 5.3, 6.1, 6.8, 7.2, 7.9)

Last edited:
Are any of these Swans academy players likely to be low picks? Ie Are we seeing any future Mills, Blakey, Gulden, Heeney types coming through? Given the strenghtening of the junior comps in Sydney - theoretically we should see more quality come through Sydney over the years to come.

If they were producing that level of talent annually we would not have access to them in the capacity we do now.

If they were producing that level of talent annually we would not have access to them in the capacity we do now.
Not yet. The participation levels are through the roof for junior footy in Sydney. Most parents n the East that I know are placing their kids into AFL.. even ones from non-AFL backgrounds or overseas. Clubs that may have had 1 U10 team 15 years ago now have 3 teams. This is particularly noticeable in the East and North. Auskick is working wonders!
We will never be able to compete with Victorian talent, or get close, but at some point I wouldnt be surprised if it become common place for 4-5 Sydney siders being drafted every year. It'll happen quicker than people expect.

Not yet. The participation levels are through the roof for junior footy in Sydney. Most parents n the East that I know are placing their kids into AFL.. even ones from non-AFL backgrounds or overseas. Clubs that may have had 1 U10 team 15 years ago now have 3 teams. This is particularly noticeable in the East and North. Auskick is working wonders!
We will never be able to compete with Victorian talent, or get close, but at some point I wouldnt be surprised if it become common place for 4-5 Sydney siders being drafted every year. It'll happen quicker than people expect.
I should temper that with by participation levels through the roof i mean, comparatively speaking with the amount of kids that were playing 15 years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

None of them will be first round selections. Mid 20's and beyond is where our academy lads will be landing this year. And we're still criminally short of high standard talls at Swans academy.

Unless something crazy happens, none will be in the top 30 and if they are passing should be an open option
We have an outside chance ruck this year - May, and next year potentially a KPF - Cochrane. Admittedly, it's been slim pickings.... slim, as in none

Are any of these Swans academy players likely to be low picks? Ie Are we seeing any future Mills, Blakey, Gulden, Heeney types coming through? Given the strenghtening of the junior comps in Sydney - theoretically we should see more quality come through Sydney over the years to come.
Nope.

We had a charmed run - Heeney, Mills, Lizard, Campbell (plus Errol, who wasn’t a high pick, but highly rated) ….. but the production line has dried up for the moment.

But there is some upside - it means we can use our 1st & 2nd rounders on whoever the club chooses, with no obligation to match academy bids.

Nope.

We had a charmed run - Heeney, Mills, Lizard, Campbell (plus Errol, who wasn’t a high pick, but highly rated) ….. but the production line has dried up for the moment.

But there is some upside - it means we can use our 1st & 2nd rounders on whoever the club chooses, with no obligation to match academy bids.
Caiden Cleary is a really solid player, knows how to find the ball. He's not really rated as he doesn't rip apart a game. But there's definitely enough to work with there and overall works in our favour. We get him for not much and he should continue to improve, hopefully eventually becoming best 22.

Caleb May likewise. He however has the potential to be anything by virtue of the fact that he's 205-210cm tall. Guys that tall who can actually play are a rarity. In the academy games, he dominates all his opponents in the ruck and also has decent skills and mobility. Not sure why he's not mentioned more but happy for it to remain that way. Hopefully we can snag him on a rookie contract

Caiden Cleary is a really solid player, knows how to find the ball. He's not really rated as he doesn't rip apart a game. But there's definitely enough to work with there and overall works in our favour. We get him for not much and he should continue to improve, hopefully eventually becoming best 22.

Caleb May likewise. He however has the potential to be anything by virtue of the fact that he's 205-210cm tall. Guys that tall who can actually play are a rarity. In the academy games, he dominates all his opponents in the ruck and also has decent skills and mobility. Not sure why he's not mentioned more but happy for it to remain that way. Hopefully we can snag him on a rookie contract
Yes I think we'll select Cleary further down the draft on the night.

Still not sure on the strength of this draft - was originally touted as a super draft but that's fallen by the wayside a bit.

Still not sure on the strength of this draft - was originally touted as a super draft but that's fallen by the wayside a bit.
Word here in the West is that this year’s WA crop contains some absolute corkers.

No idea about the other states.

Think it will be a high range draft, the range seems a lot more this year that's what clubs had the issue with last year no one doubted the talent in the top 10, the fall off was huge and you were taking speculative picks after 15 or so. The top end this year looks utterly elite I can't wait to see Reid play as a footy fan first and foremost. There is way more depth in key position too there just wasn't last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back