List Mgmt. 2023 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key Trade & Draft Dates
Key Dates:

Trade Period, October 6–18
  • Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period: Friday, October 6, 9am – Friday October 13, 5pm (bid matching ends Monday October 16, 5pm)
  • Trade Period (1), picks & players: Monday, October 9, 9am – Wednesday October 18, 7.30pm
Quiet Period, October 19–November 20
  • Trade Period (2), picks only: Monday, October 23, 9am – Friday November 10, 5pm
  • List Lodgement 1*: Tuesday, October 31, 2pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1): Wednesday, November 1, 9am – Wednesday November 8, 5pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2): Friday, November 10, 9am–5pm
  • List Lodgement 2*: Tuesday, November 14, 2pm
Draft Period, November 20–22
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Monday, November 20, time and venue TBA
  • Trade Period (3), picks only: Tuesday, November 21, 5.45pm–6.30pm
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Tuesday, November 21, 7pm until completion
  • Rookie Promotions: Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Wednesday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3.20pm
  • Final List Lodgement*: Thursday, November 23, 4pm
* List lodgement dates are yet to be made public, so are approximate based on past history and the requirements of the AFL Rules. When lists are lodged, the number of players on the list must not exceed maximum list sizes. At the same time, clubs must provide the AFL with estimates of total player payments in the current and following year, which must prove the club is not and will not exceed the salary cap. (AFL Rules 5.3, 6.1, 6.8, 7.2, 7.9)

Last edited:
I am a bit bemused by all the “we can’t get anyone” talk.

At this stage, how many players have actually requested a trade to a specific club? Bugger all.

Most names floated about have re-signed with their existing club. And those that are intent on a move have their managers testing the market in the background.

Waaaaay too early to determine how the trade period plays out.

Last edited:

At this stage, how many players have actually requested a trade to a specific club? Bugger all.

Most names floated about have re-signed with their existing club. And those that are intent on a move have their managers testing the market in the background.

Waaaaay to early to determine how the trade period plays out.
It seems that quite a few have used potential offers to leverage something better from their current clubs. Fair enough, but frustrating.

I personally believe one reason why it’s hard to trade players at the moment is that we don’t have the same brand strength as we used to. Eddie has spent about 10 years dumping on the club on national television, which rubbed off on social media circles. Those who venture onto the Main board will know the classless crap thrown at the club through that time, all with Eddie’s approval, and that stream of sh*t influences the way young players think about us.

There was a time we were everyone’s favourite second club. Eddie did his best to blow that up.

Yep.. also that player manager who was a guest on 'Gettable' last week said it was going to be a very quiet trade period. He said most players are re-signing.
I personally believe one reason why it’s hard to trade players at the moment is that we don’t have the same brand strength as we used to. Eddie has spent about 10 years dumping on the club on national television, which rubbed off on social media circles. Those who venture onto the Main board will know the classless crap thrown at the club through that time, all with Eddie’s approval, and that stream of sh*t influences the way young players think about us.

There was a time we were everyone’s favourite second club. Eddie did his best to blow that up.
because the trade period hasn't begun..

I think we need to understand that what we hear in the media is very often complete crap.
Just because a Journo says player x is worth $800k for 5 years, does not mean thats true. I have full faith in Kinnear that he doesn't listen to the Journos and that he and all clubs list managers make their own mind up what player x is worth.

Its a big wait and see what eventuates in the trade and draft period.. Theres every chance that the Swans get an 'A grader' that hasn't been mentioned yet????

I think we need to understand that what we hear in the media is very often complete crap.
Just because a Journo says player x is worth $800k for 5 years, does not mean thats true. I have full faith in Kinnear that he doesn't listen to the Journos and that he and all clubs list managers make their own mind up what player x is worth.

Its a big wait and see what eventuates in the trade and draft period.. Theres every chance that the Swans get an 'A grader' that hasn't been mentioned yet????
The hysteria around Grundy and he’s going to Port because he’s from SA is nauseating. Port sent a Posse to Melbourne last week including the coach as a Hail Mary to convince him. The Coach ? Could you see Longmire doing that while coaching a top 4 side in premiership contention this year ?
They were desperate as they know its far from a forgone conclusion. We are in Grundy up to our necks. People here either like it or they don’t but that is where it’s at. Bank on it.

I
My analysis is fairly superficial, but it isn't hard to look at the provisional draft order and calculator and work out what teams can make good offers. We are well placed currently to make a good offer.

But Gold Coast will have all kind of deals thrown at them I assume. Including potentially picks in next years draft as well.
Wonder whether GC would be more sympathetic to deal with us rather than a Melbourne club due to the fact we are both northern state clubs. As long as it didn't cost them significantly. It may be that they will only take their three academy players and then pass from there on hence they won't actually use all the points they have accrued.
Of course it may all change if we were to beat Carlton and all of our picks drop further down the order.

We are now in the copium stage welcome mate.

The hysteria around Grundy and he’s going to Port because he’s from SA is nauseating. Port sent a Posse to Melbourne last week including the coach as a Hail Mary to convince him. The Coach ? Could you see Longmire doing that while coaching a top 4 side in premiership contention this year ?
They were desperate as they know its far from a forgone conclusion. We are in Grundy up to our necks. People here either like it or they don’t but that is where it’s at. Bank on it.
I think the Harley response on SEN this morning was somewhat promising.

Despite him saying they don't talk about contracted players etc. I think he would have knocked it on the head there and then if we hadn't met with him or it wasn't a chance of happening.

Grundy has had multiple opportunities in his career to move back to Adelaide and has never done it, so who knows what he wants to do. Although I think the whole Port crew were probably all in Melbourne for the awards night, including Hinkley.

All I know is Grundy is the most obvious realistic trade target for us that I can remember. We should be doing everything we can to convince him to come.

I

Wonder whether GC would be more sympathetic to deal with us rather than a Melbourne club due to the fact we are both northern state clubs. As long as it didn't cost them significantly. It may be that they will only take their three academy players and then pass from there on hence they won't actually use all the points they have accrued.
Of course it may all change if we were to beat Carlton and all of our picks drop further down the order.
I think Gold Coast will just want the best deal possible. Unless Geelong ask nicely, in which case they will probably just give them pick 4 if they agree to take some of Rory Atkins' money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few thoughts from me on our ability to retain / attract players:
  1. On cost to retain players, I think we probably break even. We have done well to make players want to stay through our great culture, and chosen players who value Sydney’s lifestyle over being at a big heartland club. On the other side or the ledger, COL and lack of post playing footy industry careers are challenges.
  2. On cost to attract players, I think we come out behind. Players from other clubs know about our culture but haven’t experienced it. They also need to move interstate to join Sydney and COL is higher. I think Roos did a great job of making players feel truly wanted, I’m not sure Longmire’s system first approach works as well.
  3. On the benefits of attracting players, I think these are sometimes over rated. Everyone said Geelong won last year’s trade period and they were reigning premiers. They missed finals. We didn’t. (By the way, I also called it about five rounds out!).
  4. On who we should seek to attract, I reckon it should only be A Graders and diamonds in the rough that are too good to pass over. The one exception would be a B Grade key position defender if we can’t get an A Grader. No B or C Graders in other positions - they will stymie our youth.

And Tarryn Thomas set to see out his contract at North.

If cost of living wasn't an issue in Sydney I'd still be living there.

It doesn't really matter what you earn, salaries being the same, you're looking after the financials and your future

The only other consideration is emotional and opportunity, kids from out of NSW have no emotional string to pull on. So, by default we desperately need to stay relevant. Simple as - show a path, show progress and draft/trade as many good characters as possible.

As a side note, the NGA is a stinking rort - especially in Victoria. Those kids have exactly the same opportunities as any other kid. It's unavoidable, the pathway was serving the AFL for decades before NGA's 'saved' the situation. Because your Mum or Dad was born overseas doesn't preclude you from AFL opportunities. Access to clubs who spend more time searching BDM registers than providing training is a complete and utter farce.
Of course the NGAs are a rort. The AFL only introduced them to pacify Maguire, in particular, after we got Heeney and Mills from the academy and he and the other big Victorian clubs were crying to the AFL as to how unfair it was to them that we had an academy to choose players from and they didn't.
Not like they had any other advantages over us at the time. :mad:

A few thoughts from me on our ability to retain / attract players:
  1. On cost to retain players, I think we probably break even. We have done well to make players want to stay through our great culture, and chosen players who value Sydney’s lifestyle over being at a big heartland club. On the other side or the ledger, COL and lack of post playing footy industry careers are challenges.
  2. On cost to attract players, I think we come out behind. Players from other clubs know about our culture but haven’t experienced it. They also need to move interstate to join Sydney and COL is higher. I think Roos did a great job of making players feel truly wanted, I’m not sure Longmire’s system first approach works as well.
  3. On the benefits of attracting players, I think these are sometimes over rated. Everyone said Geelong won last year’s trade period and they were reigning premiers. They missed finals. We didn’t. (By the way, I also called it about five rounds out!).
  4. On who we should seek to attract, I reckon it should only be A Graders and diamonds in the rough that are too good to pass over. The one exception would be a B Grade key position defender if we can’t get an A Grader. No B or C Graders in other positions - they will stymie our youth.
I'm surprised as to how many people refer to the fact that all these Victorian players have so many more opportunities post their playing career. WHERE??
A few (maybe 1-2) will get a gig in the TV industry. Maybe another one on radio but that's about it. So we are talking about maybe 3 players at most out of all the Victorian clubs will get a job outside footy post their career. Hardly think we should be worried about that.

I'm surprised as to how many people refer to the fact that all these Victorian players have so many more opportunities post their playing career. WHERE??
A few (maybe 1-2) will get a gig in the TV industry. Maybe another one on radio but that's about it. So we are talking about maybe 3 players at most out of all the Victorian clubs will get a job outside footy post their career. Hardly think we should be worried about that.
Media, coaching (top grade or development), scouting, administration (AFL or clubs), might be missing some others…

Some players do branch out past the media world. Many ex players take up careers in commerce and being an ex player opens a lot of doors.

The argument may be that an ex AFL player in Melbourne could have more career opportunities post football than in Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back