List Mgmt. 2023 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key Trade & Draft Dates
Key Dates:

Trade Period, October 6–18
  • Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period: Friday, October 6, 9am – Friday October 13, 5pm (bid matching ends Monday October 16, 5pm)
  • Trade Period (1), picks & players: Monday, October 9, 9am – Wednesday October 18, 7.30pm
Quiet Period, October 19–November 20
  • Trade Period (2), picks only: Monday, October 23, 9am – Friday November 10, 5pm
  • List Lodgement 1*: Tuesday, October 31, 2pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1): Wednesday, November 1, 9am – Wednesday November 8, 5pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2): Friday, November 10, 9am–5pm
  • List Lodgement 2*: Tuesday, November 14, 2pm
Draft Period, November 20–22
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Monday, November 20, time and venue TBA
  • Trade Period (3), picks only: Tuesday, November 21, 5.45pm–6.30pm
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Tuesday, November 21, 7pm until completion
  • Rookie Promotions: Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Wednesday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3.20pm
  • Final List Lodgement*: Thursday, November 23, 4pm
* List lodgement dates are yet to be made public, so are approximate based on past history and the requirements of the AFL Rules. When lists are lodged, the number of players on the list must not exceed maximum list sizes. At the same time, clubs must provide the AFL with estimates of total player payments in the current and following year, which must prove the club is not and will not exceed the salary cap. (AFL Rules 5.3, 6.1, 6.8, 7.2, 7.9)

Last edited:
Post Nick Stevens and supposedly setting a culture of retention (even though I've already explained why it's not comparable to Dawson), Port have lost:
Schofield - a very handy player (best 22), literally to the PSD the next year to Freo and he had to bypass a bunch of other clubs to get there

Carr (the next year also)
Pickett
Burgoyne
Cornes
Brogan
Pearce
Chaplin
<bit of a break>
Wingard
Ryder
Howard

As well as other fringe types. Despite Stephens high pick, he is just that at the moment. He should be worth a 2nd rounder, but given the PSD option we should settle for a 3rd if that's the only option, because it would achieve nothing unless the Eagles said they were interested.
You can’t just name all the players who left Post as an example of it not working!! Cmon man, there is context here!

I won’t post again on this one, but Port have been brilliant at trading and drafting in the last 5-6yrs in particular.

Couple of misses (watts, fantasia) but more hits than not.

Look at the value they got for their Dyl Stephens (Jared Polec who also went to North as an example on how to trade).

Pickett went to Melbourne was at the end of his career
Burgoyne - Power got 2 first rounders compensation (fair equity)
Cornes and Brogan - let go by Port at end of careers to help out GWS at their beginning
Pearce and Chaplin (free agents, Port chose not to match offer for) were both not as good at next club
Ryder and Howard have done well at Saints but Port got an extra first round selection
Wingard - port did well out of deal got Ryan Burton and 1st and 2nd rounder (butters and Rozee)

Port have traded in Charlie Dixon, Scott Lycett, Burton, Aliir, Finlayson, Junior Rioli, Horne-Francis.

Hence a destination club, those 7 players are all best 23.

McCartin was a very promising forward before being swung back
Richards was a forward iirc
Grundy was drafted as a forward
I'd argue Campbell's best work in U18 was forward before we made him a HBF for a bit
McCartin, Richards and Grundy didn't work out well as defenders.......

McCartin, Richards and Grundy didn't work out well as defenders.......
Oh I am not saying they didn't. But we have done it a bunch and I'd argue up until recently we have had more issues with our forwards than our defenders

McDonald + McCartin + McLean would be a very sexy forward line

Let me help. Anyone that talks about his injury history is ignorant of facts.

2020 - came in half way through and played every game

2021 - played 22 games

2022 - copped 3 concussions causing him to be subbed an miss the next week. Had a freo player fall across his knee causing a medial strain. Played 15 games, subbed out in 4

2023 - minor foot injury before season starts. Hasn’t missed a game since coming back round 5
So nothing wrong with him AT ALL PEOPLE!

Is Sweet linked with the Swans? I think if we acquire Sweet and McKay, I'd be very happy with that. Of course, I am assuming Grundy will request a trade to Port. Either one would be great.

So you're dead against overpaying for a recruit yet you're happy to let a player go for nothing. Wow!

In certain circumstances yes it’s called being harder in negotiations and not taking the first offer. We have been dreadful at this everyone remembers how poor the Mitchell deal was

Hardline approach is holding your ground.

Not taking the easy option, be prepared to lose your position (draft pick) whatever.

And then following it through with actions.

We have never walked a player to PSD, but we should be prepared to do so. I for one would back it. The balance of power in trading has shifted too far towards players.

This is just a different approach to what you are prepared to lose.

Nick Stevens says hi

There are always other options, the reference was originally to Dawson trade, we should have got Port more involved, as an example.
If Port had no interest in him, why would they get involved? You have referred to Nick Stevens regularly yet you haven't mentioned the number of players who went to the PSD and got to where they wanted to go. There are far more of the latter. There are times when you need to look at the reality and ask yourself - are we happy to get absolutely nothing for this player when the probability is he will get to that club anyway? We were in a predicament with Adelaide being a bottom placed club at the time of the Dawson trade. He was never NOT going to get there. Pick 18 was a hell of a lot better than nothing.

I think Florent is more highly skilled in a number of areas:
Evasive skills
Ball in hand skills (handball +)
Kicking to advantage
Kick trajectory (lower)
Spotting targets
Tackle hardness
Both players are at a similar stage of physical development having started as twigs. Stephens may have the bigger tank but that's about all.
Pointless trying to argue a case against #mtooler about Florent. He believes that Florent is barely a C grader and every week he has an average game we will find him here bragging about that yet when Florent has one of his many good games, he goes into hiding for a few weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Post Nick Stevens and supposedly setting a culture of retention (even though I've already explained why it's not comparable to Dawson), Port have lost:

You can’t just name all the players who left Post as an example of it not working!! Cmon man, there is context here!

I won’t post again on this one, but Port have been brilliant at trading and drafting in the last 5-6yrs in particular.

Couple of misses (watts, fantasia) but more hits than not.

Look at the value they got for their Dyl Stephens (Jared Polec who also went to North as an example on how to trade).

Pickett went to Melbourne was at the end of his career
Burgoyne - Power got 2 first rounders compensation (fair equity)
Cornes and Brogan - let go by Port at end of careers to help out GWS at their beginning
Pearce and Chaplin (free agents, Port chose not to match offer for) were both not as good at next club
Ryder and Howard have done well at Saints but Port got an extra first round selection
Wingard - port did well out of deal got Ryan Burton and 1st and 2nd rounder (butters and Rozee)

Port have traded in Charlie Dixon, Scott Lycett, Burton, Aliir, Finlayson, Junior Rioli, Horne-Francis.

Hence a destination club, those 7 players are all best 23.

Not disagreeing but need to say the idea of Port being brilliant at anything requiring non-bogan skills has totally rocked my world. I'm going outside and maybe some time.

Sweet is trending very nicely in his third season.
f911482701ed95401278865f87ec5500.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

So with the likely recruiting of McKay, Melican staying and Gould at best staying on as a forward, leaves us pretty stacked for key defenders in:

McKay, McCartin, Rampe, Francis, Melican, Edwards, Arnold

Can't see why we would draft O'Sullivan unless we let Edwards or Arnold go. If we decided we don't want another key defender and we manage to move our first into the 5-10 range, how about "the wizard", 170cm 67kg small forward, Nick Watson. Him and Papley would be an awesome combo especially when combined with our talls.
Fox and Rampe don't have long left. A project KD is not the worst idea

So with the likely recruiting of McKay, Melican staying and Gould at best staying on as a forward, leaves us pretty stacked for key defenders in:

McKay, McCartin, Rampe, Francis, Melican, Edwards, Arnold

Can't see why we would draft O'Sullivan unless we let Edwards or Arnold go. If we decided we don't want another key defender and we manage to move our first into the 5-10 range, how about "the wizard", 170cm 67kg small forward, Nick Watson. Him and Papley would be an awesome combo especially when combined with our talls.
That was why we recruited Konstanty last year. Don't need another.
If we are to bring in McKay, I agree that we don't need to go for O'Sullivan but if we are to get Gc's pick 4 which will in turn become pick 6-7, I would love to get either Duursma or Sanders. I'm hoping the AFL don't giftwrap Sanders to North as a fake NGA prelisting.

Fox and Rampe don't have long left. A project KD is not the worst idea
I think that will depend on what we think if Arnold and Edwards. My concern is that if we have too many KD, their development will be stunted due to lack of opportunity. I think that's what has happened to Owen in the ruck department.

Pick 9 and 16 (I think it was 16, was a late teens pick). That's a very solid trade. Yes Port picked duds (Andrew Moore was the pick 9, and I think please correct me that Pittard was the pick 16 but I am purely going off what I remember on this one).

Lets compare that to us...least they got two firsts!
You have to keep in mind that at the time of the trade it was felt that Burgoyne was so bunged up Port thought that he would probably play no more than another 2-3 years. Proved that wrong!

You have to keep in mind that at the time of the trade it was felt that Burgoyne was so bunged up Port thought that he would probably play no more than another 2-3 years. Proved that wrong!

Still got two first rounders...yet we go an accept a late first for Tom Mitchell. You see the difference. Now he isn't the only howler, but we accepted that deal first day.

McCartin was a very promising forward before being swung back
Richards was a forward iirc
Grundy was drafted as a forward
I'd argue Campbell's best work in U18 was forward before we made him a HBF for a bit
How could you forget Leo "you star" Barry. Came to us as a forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back