List Mgmt. 2023 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key Trade & Draft Dates
Key Dates:

Trade Period, October 6–18
  • Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period: Friday, October 6, 9am – Friday October 13, 5pm (bid matching ends Monday October 16, 5pm)
  • Trade Period (1), picks & players: Monday, October 9, 9am – Wednesday October 18, 7.30pm
Quiet Period, October 19–November 20
  • Trade Period (2), picks only: Monday, October 23, 9am – Friday November 10, 5pm
  • List Lodgement 1*: Tuesday, October 31, 2pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1): Wednesday, November 1, 9am – Wednesday November 8, 5pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2): Friday, November 10, 9am–5pm
  • List Lodgement 2*: Tuesday, November 14, 2pm
Draft Period, November 20–22
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Monday, November 20, time and venue TBA
  • Trade Period (3), picks only: Tuesday, November 21, 5.45pm–6.30pm
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Tuesday, November 21, 7pm until completion
  • Rookie Promotions: Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Wednesday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3.20pm
  • Final List Lodgement*: Thursday, November 23, 4pm
* List lodgement dates are yet to be made public, so are approximate based on past history and the requirements of the AFL Rules. When lists are lodged, the number of players on the list must not exceed maximum list sizes. At the same time, clubs must provide the AFL with estimates of total player payments in the current and following year, which must prove the club is not and will not exceed the salary cap. (AFL Rules 5.3, 6.1, 6.8, 7.2, 7.9)

Last edited:
I'm a footy fanatic and whichever games I can't watch live, I watch on replay. These are the things you can do when retired.
Granted, watching the north and WC games was not great entertainment, I do so so that I know what happened in that game rather than just reading a half page in the herald sun about it.
As a result, I feel I'm in a far better place to make judgement on McKay than anyone else here.

You're right, no one else on here watches all 9 games of footy.

noobermensch has compiled his highlights from the 2 Colts finals:

"Although conceding the height advantage to his opponent, ZZ came out on Top in his ruck battle against Coen Livingston, winning the hit outs and exerting more influence around the ground."

Good highlights. Uses his body well. Lots of second efforts. Seems to have a tank. Height estimates vary 194 to 196 so definitely a defender at AFL level. Worth a close look. Imagine Beatson and Dalrymple will be all over it as he might fall at our pick of we can't trade up.

I don't really get the carry on about giving Melbourne our first round pick for Grundy - and I've never been a huge fan!
The man can definitely play, yeah probs not up there with how he was three years ago, but still one of THE best rucks around and would make us a significantly better team.
I'd be pretty certain that Kinnear and Co aren't going to just come straight out and offer them our top pick, there would have to be negotiations done, but in the end you pay what you have to pay to secure his services.
Same can be said for McKay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't really get the carry on about giving Melbourne our first round pick for Grundy - and I've never been a huge fan!
The man can definitely play, yeah probs not up there with how he was three years ago, but still one of THE best rucks around and would make us a significantly better team.
I'd be pretty certain that Kinnear and Co aren't going to just come straight out and offer them our top pick, there would have to be negotiations done, but in the end you pay what you have to pay to secure his services.
Same can be said for McKay.

On what planet is Grundy worth TWICE what Melbourne paid in draft capital, pick 22 is over the odds. Lets not think a 29 year old ruck is worth a top 10 pick. Pick 25 (after the few NGA, etc) and that is plenty.

On what planet is Grundy worth TWICE what Melbourne paid in draft capital, pick 22 is over the odds. Lets not think a 29 year old ruck is worth a top 10 pick. Pick 25 (after the few NGA, etc) and that is plenty.
Collingwood were offloading salary so the draft capital from melb was never going to reflect Grundy's worth. Now tell me what a 27 yr old Grundy was worth at the time? Top 10 easy.

To top that off imagine Gawn wasn't around. Grundy would not have missed a game and would be acknowledged as the great ruckman he is and would've probably been in contention for the AA team. A second round pick for a proven player who has quite a few years left isn't over the mark. That doesn't mean you pay it straight up either but if that's what it came down to, you pay it, we're the ones desperate for a ruckman here.

Collingwood were offloading salary so the draft capital from melb was never going to reflect Grundy's worth. Now tell me what a 27 yr old Grundy was worth at the time? Top 10 easy.

To top that off imagine Gawn wasn't around. Grundy would not have missed a game and would probably be acknowledged as the great ruckman he is and would've probably been in contention for the AA team. A second round pick for a proven player who has quite a few years left isn't over the mark. That doesn't mean you pay it straight up either but if that's what it came down to, you pay it, we're the ones desperate for a ruckman here.

He isn't 27 now! He's 29 and will turn 30 next year, there is a key difference you don't gain value getting older it's the other way. Pick 22 is overs but very fair.

He isn't 27 now! He's 29 and will turn 30 next year, there is a key difference you don't gain value getting older it's the other way. Pick 22 is overs but very fair.
Yeah hence why he's worth pick 22 now instead of top 10 value a couple of years ago. He was worth well more than melb payed for him at the time

Yeah hence why he's worth pick 22 now instead of top 10 value a couple of years ago. He was worth well more than melb payed for him at the time

It better not be more than that, if they ask for me, I'd be walking away personally. I personally didn't have Grundy worth a top 10 a couple of years ago anyway, more in the late teens. Pick 22 with something back our way to help match Cleary maybe a 4th or something

Same pontificators keep posting the same dribble about anything positive the club are doing or rumoured to be doing to try and get us the ultimate success once again. Grundy shit McKay shit not worth that pick not worth that money blah blah ****ing blah ! Yes mediocrity over success any day 🙄 Anybody thinks we are challenging seriously again by sitting pat and hoping development from within the current list will get it done should seek some sort of counselling. This List is promising in the chase for another flag but it needs to fill some glaring gaps as well.

Last edited:
Keep melican. Trade Stephens and ladhams to North. Get McKay plus 2nd rounder.

Of Rampe, Lloyd or Cunningham, going forwards only 2 of 3 should fill part of the defensive A team at any one time but not 3 (ideal world) - Blakey can than focus more on smalls and his carry & breakaways. Need to find another defensive speed/line breaker in this draft. (Someone like Lual who is picked before 40, denying WB.)

Go for GC 4 to Bolster midfield add Academy kids (2 or 3 with Rookie selections). Get grundy and another 'Hickey' like ruck worth a brass razool...:)

Last edited:
Keep melican. Trade Stephens and ladhams to North. Get McKay plus 2nd rounder.

Of Rampe, Lloyd or Cunningham, going forwards only 2 of 3 should fill part of the defensive A team at any one time but not 3 (ideal world) - Blakey can than focus more on smalls and his carry & breakaways. Need to find another defensive speed/line breaker in this draft. (Someone like Lual who slips down past 40 denying WB.)

Go for GC 4 to Bolster midfield add Academy kids (2 or 3 with Rookie selections). Get grundy and another 'Hickey' like ruck worth a brass razool...:)
Get pick 4 from GC. Bundle up pick 4 and Logan to WC for pick 1.

Bring in Harley, Grundy and McKay, use our future first to get back to get our academy pick.

We need to take risks to remain competitive in the NSW market now we dont have the star power of Buddy...

Harley and Errol could be the partnership that keeps us relevant in a highly competitive market.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back