Teams 2023 Fantasy - Rate My Preseason Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Same, showed he is tag vulnerable. Have to expect others to try it out if he starts impacting the game.

Think we (Swans) did it last year with success.

On the basis of PS games, this is now where I'm at (getting very midpricey, but I don't hate it) -

View attachment 1619880
It does looks good but feels 1 or 2 too many for me. I have toyed with Worpel at M6 and it feels amazing but Sheed at M4 and even Green at M3 is a big concern imo.

Interesting to look at the scoring, given it's a full game. Based on a normal round, this would be my score thus far:

Dunks VC (240)
Rozee (105)
Bruhn (74)
Ashcroft (97)
W. Day (73)
C. Mackenzie (92)
Worpel (85)
L. Henry (72)

838/8 (VC)

Doch, J. Dawson, Laird, R. Marshall, Witts, T. Green, Cogs, Taranto, Yeo, Sheed, McLean, J. Hunt, Ginbey, Sheezel, to come

2000+ would be likely off that - which would be solid for a first round. Definitely a lot to think about re: structures and best set up to go with

It does looks good but feels 1 or 2 too many for me. I have toyed with Worpel at M6 and it feels amazing but Sheed at M4 and even Green at M3 is a big concern imo.

It's easy to fix (Henry down to rook on bench with Bruhn swung forward and Phillips or Phillopu on field nets me 139K in one go), but I haven't gone any deeper than Green at M4 all pre-season, so my side likely looks a lot different to most - given the value in the mids on offer. Having both Phillipou and Phillips on the bench, means I can change the structure and go from Sheed to someone like LDU if I want, given the cash I'll save by bringing others down to basement price.

Last edited:
Interesting to look at the scoring, given it's a full game. Based on a normal round, this would be my score thus far:

Dunks VC (240)
Rozee (105)
Bruhn (74)
Ashcroft (97)
W. Day (73)
C. Mackenzie (92)
Worpel (85)
L. Henry (72)

838/8 (VC)

Doch, J. Dawson, Laird, R. Marshall, Witts, T. Green, Cogs, Taranto, Yeo, Sheed, McLean, J. Hunt, Ginbey, Sheezel, to come

2000+ would be likely off that - which would be solid for a first round. Definitely a lot to think about re: structures and best set up to go with

More than one way to skin an 838 hahaha

Dunks VC 240
Young 55
Daicos 58
Serong 101
Duursma 97
Worpel 85
Ashcroft 97
Rozee 105

838/8 (VC)

C. Mackenzie 92, Sturt 56 on my bench.

Currently as follows;

DEF: Docherty, Dawson, Yeo, Constable, Ginbey, Chesser (Wilmot, Cincotta)
MID: Oliver, Steele, LDU, Green, Worpel, Ashcroft, Mackenzie, Phillips (McVee, Long)
RUCK: Marshall, Darcy (McAndrew)
FWD: Dunkley, Coniglio, Taranto, Rozee, McLean, Philippou (Greene, Chandler)
UT: Tsitas

Bolded need to have closer look at this week. The rest I'm pretty content with.

Worpel/Bruhn I'm still going back and forward on. Tough choice.

Currently as follows;

DEF: Docherty, Dawson, Yeo, Constable, Ginbey, Chesser (Wilmot, Cincotta)
MID: Oliver, Steele, LDU, Green, Worpel, Ashcroft, Mackenzie, Phillips (McVee, Long)
RUCK: Marshall, Darcy (McAndrew)
FWD: Dunkley, Coniglio, Taranto, Rozee, McLean, Philippou (Greene, Chandler)
UT: Tsitas

Bolded need to have closer look at this week. The rest I'm pretty content with.

Worpel/Bruhn I'm still going back and forward on. Tough choice.

What's Wilmot's job security like? Had heard a few people saying it was a bit shaky.

What's Wilmot's job security like? Had heard a few people saying it was a bit shaky.
Not sure. I barely saw him last night. Moved my E to Cincotta to punish him for it so hopefully named round 1 or McVee goes back and need someone else in the mids I guess.

I think I’ll just avoid Worpel and Bruhn. Worpel is clumsier than a golden retriever on rollerskates and I’m still not convinced Mitchell even likes him, while Bruhn has a real pre-season hype stench about him. Won’t be surprised if he goes around 70-75 in the real stuff, which would still see an increase in price but is less than you’d need to make it a successful pick.

Can always jump on in the early rounds if I’m wrong.

But I’m NEVER wrong, so there’s no way that will happen :drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was happy with Worpel's game, got shafted forward in Q4 which might be a possibility during the season. He looked like his old self and just looked like a ball magnet. Bruhn might be more an SC pick, does all the contested in and under stuff but didn't quite get enough outside ball. Scott also put him on a wing the last 10-15mins which killed any chance of him getting to 90.

I think I’ll just avoid Worpel and Bruhn. Worpel is clumsier than a golden retriever on rollerskates and I’m still not convinced Mitchell even likes him, while Bruhn has a real pre-season hype stench about him. Won’t be surprised if he goes around 70-75 in the real stuff, which would still see an increase in price but is less than you’d need to make it a successful pick.

Can always jump on in the early rounds if I’m wrong.

But I’m NEVER wrong, so there’s no way that will happen :drunk:

Re: Bruhn, you'd definitely take a 75. He'd be consistently netting you 22 points upside, as he's priced at 53, and would increase to around 665K - meaning a close to 200K increase on his initial price.

People are picking Will Day in the backline for 65K more, and expecting a similar score, if not less. I expect Bruhn to go 75-85 in that role, as he's clearly favoured, and I can see him getting a decent score every week through tackles alone (reminds me of Scooter Selwood in that regard).

To each their own though. I hope people stay off him, as I want him all to myself! :tearsofjoy:

Re: Bruhn, you'd definitely take a 75. He'd be consistently netting you 22 points upside, as he's priced at 53, and would increase to around 665K - meaning a close to 200K increase on his initial price.

People are picking Will Day in the backline for 65K more, and expecting a similar score, if not less. I expect Bruhn to go 75-85 in that role, as he's clearly favoured, and I can see him getting a decent score every week through tackles alone (reminds me of Scooter Selwood in that regard).

To each their own though. I hope people stay off him, as I want him all to myself! :tearsofjoy:
I agree it’s still value, I just question the point in paying $471k for a 75 when you could potentially find a rookie at $200k less that could net you a 60. You’ll make bucketloads more cash for a minimal loss of points (possibly zero loss of points if you invest the difference wisely elsewhere).

The big ‘if’ in all that is whether or not we’ll get enough reliable forward rookies and I agree that a Bruhn-priced player would become more appealing if we don’t, BUT in that scenario I think I’m keener on Tom Powell to outscore Tanner at roughly the same cost anyway

Who gets flushed when your best 22 players return? Smith, Hawkins, Cameron, Bowes?, Duncan, J Henry... the Cats have so much depth - best 22 risk, rotation risk. Have to think he'll get squeezed out on occasions and this will force a trade.

Day is easily best 22 at the Hawks I'd imagine one of the first half dozen picked.

I agree it’s still value, I just question the point in paying $471k for a 75 when you could potentially find a rookie at $200k less that could net you a 60. You’ll make bucketloads more cash for a minimal loss of points (possibly zero loss of points if you invest the difference wisely elsewhere).

The big ‘if’ in all that is whether or not we’ll get enough reliable forward rookies and I agree that a Bruhn-priced player would become more appealing if we don’t, BUT in that scenario I think I’m keener on Tom Powell to outscore Tanner at roughly the same cost anyway
Powell will be interesting. I raised him a while ago. Only concern will be if he's like 5 or 6 deep in that Roos midfield.

LDU, Simpkin, Phillips, Cunnington...or does he play first choice mid and ruin Phillips for us lol. I think I've forgotten the 3rd best one behind LDU/Simpkin too.

Powell will be interesting. I raised him a while ago. Only concern will be if he's like 5 or 6 deep in that Roos midfield.

LDU, Simpkin, Phillips, Cunnington...or does he play first choice mid and ruin Phillips for us lol
Yeah agreed, nothing is certain yet. Big watch on how North go tomorrow

Who gets flushed when your best 22 players return? Smith, Hawkins, Cameron, Bowes?, Duncan, J Henry... the Cats have so much depth - best 22 risk, rotation risk. Have to think he'll get squeezed out on occasions and this will force a trade.

Day is easily best 22 at the Hawks I'd imagine one of the first half dozen picked.

Fair arguments on both points, but I'd argue you'd rather be the small fish in the big pond - rather than the big fish in the small pond.

There'll be some games where Hawks and North will get absolutely demolished, and guys like Powell and Day won't score much because it's left up to guys like Newcome and LDU/Simpkin. Bruhn on the other hand, always has Danger, Guthrie, Blics, Atkins etc. to take the load off, and ensure we win a lot of ball out of the centre. You could pick a rook, but I doubt that you get that same week to week consistency, that someone in a prime role like his would get.

On who we have to come back, Bruhn has now shown he's the first choice of the 3 recruits, and has already gone past guys like O'Connor, Menegola and Parfitt, from what I've seen/heard. Given we'll be missing Duncan and J. Henry at a minimum for the opening part of the season, I see no reason why he can't be 4th string behind Danger, Guth and Atkins. If that's the case, he'll get a fair amount of CBA's, and will play a lot of games.

For mine I'd have us lining up like this Round 1:

B: Bews, SDK, Kolo
HB: Stewart, Ratugolea, Zuthrie
C: Holmes, T. Atkins, Blics
FO: Stanley, Guthrie, Bruhn
HF: Miers, Danger, Rohan
F: Stengle, J. Cameron, Close
INT: Tuohy, I. Smith, Parfitt, Menegola
Sub: O'Connor

EMG: O. Henry, Ceglar, S. Simpson

If Bowes is fit, he knocks out Menegola or Parfitt, and one of them goes to sub. If Duncan is fit the other gets knocked out and goes to sub. Hawkins is fit, someone like Kolo or Sav is knocked out, on balance - and so on. As long as Bruhn keeps doing more than Parfitt, he'll play most games. We'll also rest a lot of players, so I can see guys like Smith, Tuohy, Rohan, Stanley, Danger, Hawk, all having shortened seasons - to allow others in our Best 30 or so, to get a decent crack.

Obviously we have to see how we line up Round 1, but if he's named and talked up in the week leading up, then I'll be picking him given most of our mids seem to average 75+ easily, when given the right role. I don't think you can pick him for the year, but I think he's a great choice for the first 6-8 rounds, and then make your upgrade from there. Tackles like a beast and gets in the right spots, so definitely has a fantasy game about him.

Last edited:
With Maginness supposedly doing a smooth tag job already against the Pies. Is any one else looking at fading Merrett R1 because of that?
And then hopefully pick him up a bit cheaper in a couple of weeks.

With Maginness supposedly doing a smooth tag job already against the Pies. Is any one else looking at fading Merrett R1 because of that?
I wasn’t looking seriously at Merrett, but yeah that round 1 tag would be a concern you’d think. Parish is still high on my radar so if anything I’ll actually be hoping they do send the tag to Merrett so that Darcy can go bonkers.

Don't love it, don't hate it either.
Bound to change another 10 times before rd 1.
48k remaining.

View attachment 1620153
I think we have 3 differences. I've got Worpel instead of Bruhn, Darcy instead of Witts and Oliver instead of Trac. Hope you have a good season :p

I've kept looking at Merrett and always finding a reason not to put him in. Yesterday puts a line through him for mine. Should be a nice upgrade target though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams 2023 Fantasy - Rate My Preseason Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back