Teams 2023 Fantasy - Rate My Preseason Team

Remove this Banner Ad

While you are burning trades flipping between injured rucks, you're not running donuts at R1 & R2.

So Witts outscoring English by 470 odd points doesn't account for the fact that you trade English out when he goes down.

For example, if English is 300 points ahead of Witts before going down in R17 this year and you switch to Cameron who scores similar to Witts for the remaining rounds - in this instance you're 300 points ahead and it's costing you one trade (+/- whatever the difference is in starting price).
Mmmm...not exactly.

While it's true you have the increased scoring from English last year (10 points or so by round in 2022 equating across the 15 rounds he played and giving you around 150 points extra), you're also not factoring in the fact that you're sideways trading and not getting anywhere when it comes to completing your team.

This is something that gets lost when having this discussion a lot of the time - what is the value of a trade? Whenever you're choosing to trade in someone to replace someone else, you're also forgoing any upgrade that round, as you can't make an upgrade with the other trade. In essence, when you sideways trade, you burn 2 trades - especially if you need to go up instead of down.

We get 52 trades this year, and you need to utilize around 20-30 of them to complete your side (12 keepers at a minimum with 10 upgrades that use two rooks down and one rook up to get there during the year/a straight down, up for some of the other ones if they've increased enough in price). Then, you factor in injury which is usually 10+ trades at least (5 injuries x 2 trades). Players getting dropped/falling out of form/new roles, another say 6 trades (3 x 2 trades - less common). Then, you now have say 6-16 trades remaining to use on anything else. You won't get every trade right, so you'll have to flip some of those in and out sideways, which costs you 2 of those trades each time. Maybe you want to fix up your rookies, that's another 2 or 4 trades if you do it more than once. All of a sudden, you're out of trades, can't upgrade to the players you want, and you're frantically fixing your side slotting in 'underpriced premos', in order to 'complete' your side. You don't make any ground as others complete their side with the best players quicker, and you end up just stagnating.

This is a really dire scenario I'm painting, haha, but ruck switching is incredibly frustrating and can lead to many rounds of getting in another ruck because another one is injured - rather than upgrading to that gun mid/fwd/or def. Rucks are already incredibly injury prone given their size and structural issues, so you can pretty much guarantee you'll be burning trades at some point to get new ones in to replace them in a pinch/them getting rested one week due to 'general soreness.'

Of course English is likely to score more and be a better choice, but he's also someone who had niggles twice this pre-season, and has had many different niggly issues over the last few years. Same with Darcy. Witts has had his ACL which is an impact injury, but he's been incredibly durable beyond that.

Whatever ruck you choose this year will likely burn you I would assume, but I'm just going with as minimal a risk as possible, with someone who is a first choice ruck nearly 100% of the time. Slim pickings across the comp when it comes to that, and I really don't want to be playing ruck roulette if I can avoid it this year - even if my R2 scores only 85 every week. If I don't have to burn trades, I'll consider that a win.

Last edited:

Surely people aren't actually relying on scores in pre-season? It's all about the role and price and at his price he's a must.

His role wasn't great in the sim. Played some wing, but played at half forward a lot for not much impact. Could very well just be blowing out the cobwebs, but he didn't look too crash hot, IMO.

His role wasn't great in the sim. Played some wing, but played at half forward a lot for not much impact. Could very well just be blowing out the cobwebs, but he didn't look too crash hot, IMO.

I posted a summary elsewhere, not sure where - but he's not a must start until we see a few games. He's an easy downgrade if you have an underperformer and he starts well.

if he'd scored on the weekend, it might change my assessment - but I didn't see him until Q3.... And I believe he was out there...

Mmmm...not exactly.

While it's true you have the increased scoring from English last year (10 points or so by round in 2022 equating across the 15 rounds he played and giving you around 150 points extra), you're also not factoring in the fact that you're sideways trading and not getting anywhere when it comes to completing your team.

This is something that gets lost when having this discussion a lot of the time - what is the value of a trade? Whenever you're choosing to trade in someone to replace someone else, you're also forgoing any upgrade that round, as you can't make an upgrade with the other trade. In essence, when you sideways trade, you burn 2 trades - especially if you need to go up instead of down.

We get 52 trades this year, and you need to utilize around 20-30 of them to complete your side (12 keepers at a minimum with 10 upgrades that use two rooks down and one rook up to get there during the year/a straight down, up for some of the other ones if they've increased enough in price). Then, you factor in injury which is usually 10+ trades at least (5 injuries x 2 trades). Players getting dropped/falling out of form/new roles, another say 6 trades (3 x 2 trades - less common). Then, you now have say 6-16 trades remaining to use on anything else. You won't get every trade right, so you'll have to flip some of those in and out sideways, which costs you 2 of those trades each time. Maybe you want to fix up your rookies, that's another 2 or 4 trades if you do it more than once. All of a sudden, you're out of trades, can't upgrade to the players you want, and you're frantically fixing your side slotting in 'underpriced premos', in order to 'complete' your side. You don't make any ground as others complete their side with the best players quicker, and you end up just stagnating.

This is a really dire scenario I'm painting, haha, but ruck switching is incredibly frustrating and can lead to many rounds of getting in another ruck because another one is injured - rather than upgrading to that gun mid/fwd/or def. Rucks are already incredibly injury prone given their size and structural issues, so you can pretty much guarantee you'll be burning trades at some point to get new ones in to replace them in a pinch/them getting rested one week due to 'general soreness.'

Of course English is likely to score more and be a better choice, but he's also someone who had niggles twice this pre-season, and has had many different niggly issues over the last few years. Same with Darcy. Witts has had his ACL which is an impact injury, but he's been incredibly durable beyond that.

Whatever ruck you choose this year will likely burn you I would assume, but I'm just going with as minimal a risk as possible, with someone who is a first choice ruck nearly 100% of the time. Slim pickings across the comp when it comes to that, and I really don't want to be playing ruck roulette if I can avoid it this year - even if my R2 scores only 85 every week. If I don't have to burn trades, I'll consider that a win.
Apologies, maybe I wasn't that clear. The 300 point advantage for the cost of a trade implies all the associated negatives of using that trade (including sideways trading, opportunity cost of a better trade, having three injuries so having to carry a red dot etc).

As I said earlier, I finally put a team together which I built from the bottom up.

More rookies on field than anyone on here it seems. The rookie poll had only one respondent with 8 on field - me.

It meant that as I was building it I was throwing mid pricers in - Bruhn, McGrath, Callaghan, Yeo, O Baker, Henry and Wingard.

That left tons of cash at the top end which was comfortably enough to use on premiums while one by one culling the mid pricers.

In the end Yeo is the only one left. Everyone else I fully expect to be top 6 in their line and maybe Yeo could too.

It looks very strong to me but there is one big concern: this is very very much Guns and Rookies and what happens if coaches decide to use the sub option to red or green vest our rookies?

Turn a respectable 65 score in to a 45 or 50. Not to mention severely limiting cash gen.

I tend to think second rucks will be the main victims of the sub bench. Obviously not every team has one designated but given I may have 8 on the field, hopefully it’s not a gun rookie waiting until three quarter time to come on in their place.

Ps. Also Constable on the field who I basically regard as a rookie. In the 170k min days he would have been 300k-ish.
So, really 9 rookies.

Last edited:
So after some adjustments, I have 368k to spend.
I suspect another 100-150 will be on bench adjustments, so maybe 220k to be conservative.

Thoughts?

D: Doch Bray Yeo Day Constable Ginbey (Chester Wilmot)
M: Steele Baz Green Duursma Finn 3 rookies (rookies)
R: RoMa Darcy
F: Dunks Taranto/Cogs Rozee Gulden Pou Sheezel

Attachments

• 1856B489-3EF0-4F3D-9D34-8D1088ADCB55.png
    1856B489-3EF0-4F3D-9D34-8D1088ADCB55.png
    114.7 KB · Views: 45
  • D7BEE7EC-48BB-4F6C-9071-C2E3607FC6AB.jpeg
    D7BEE7EC-48BB-4F6C-9071-C2E3607FC6AB.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 52C96465-C746-4A8D-9031-FCCB4DC97FAA.png
    52C96465-C746-4A8D-9031-FCCB4DC97FAA.png
    119.4 KB · Views: 47
Final team for this year.

Def - Paid for Doch/Dawson, don't have enough faith in cheaper guys to take the next step, so these two are my favourite. Daicos I don't mind but wasn't convinced on midfield craft at this point + constant tag threat. Yeo locked, hopefully back to his best like they've been saying. Hunt is very meh and just helps fill out the team, scored only 60 on the weekend but as a player he looks good and WC farm marks. Constable is locked, worried about his JS as he's not really a reliable kick but worth riding. Ginbey lock. Cowan/Cinocotta D7 and Wilmot has a wing spot, a nice D8.

Mid - Gone Laird M1 for captain scores. M1 usually doesn't back it up but I think Laird is different, been a fantasy animal for 7-8 years now, doing 100+ with no kick ins. All the points go to Laird in the midfield. Andy Brayshaw's fixture is a bit of a pisstake if he can get through a windhager tag, I'll be monitoring if I can maneuver to him somehow after Round 1. JM played a bit more outsideish and was looking for marks more than last year, but it was vs norf. Have my doubts but only priced at 103, should hold/out it by a bit hopefully. Don't think Bont is top 8 but think he can outdo his price by 5 or so, 100 last year with injuries, more forward time and now no Dunkley. Worpel M4 so a bit light but thought he balled hard against the pies and looked like old worpel. He should get an early run at worst. Think he can do 85+, probably is 60% CBA guy but still passed the eye test. Calla is in for the easy first 5 fixture, think he can do 70-75 with a chance for a spike game. Pretty meh on him but fit the structure, he knows how to find the pill despite his wing role. Ashcroft/Mac/Phill locked, McVee should play as Dees BF board don't sound bullish on an early Salem return. Davey played well but hopefully never touches the field.

Ruck
Roma locked, Witts is pretty eh but reckon he is best of the worst. Combo of durability+ruck time+bye round puts him in this slot. 71 off 3 quarters against Preuss who is one of the toughest match ups and looked exceptional the week before. Think eventually this will end up being Gawn but I don't like paying 900k for a 50% ruckman. His durability is questionable so I'd like to jump on late in the season.

Fwd
Dunkley TT Rozee locked since open. Gulden forced his way in for Cogs. Still like cogs but being the most expensive and probably the worst durability record, he makes way although I would still like him. Flanders getting 30D off HF, hoping he can Dylan Moore it and go 85+ in the HHF role. His workrate is exceptional. This F5 spot is a bit of a crapshoot, I like Bruhn but he is suited to SuperCoach. Sheezel locked although his scoring is in Clarkos hands. Greene and Pedlar easy bench picks, Chandler is utility but open to others. Chandler probably a high sub risk.

View attachment 1622795
Very nice
Don’t love Hunt or Worpel, but not bad picks.
Windhager will probably miss r1

As I said earlier, I finally put a team together which I built from the bottom up.

More rookies on field than anyone on here it seems. The rookie poll had only one respondent with 8 on field - me.

It meant that as I was building it I was throwing mid pricers in - Bruhn, McGrath, Callaghan, Yeo, O Baker, Henry and Wingard.

That left tons of cash at the top end which was comfortably enough to use on premiums while one by one culling the mid pricers.

In the end Yeo is the only one left. Everyone else I fully expect to be top 6 in their line and maybe Yeo could too.

It looks very strong to me but there is one big concern: this is very very much Guns and Rookies and what happens if coaches decide to use the sub option to red or green vest our rookies?

Turn a respectable 65 score in to a 45 or 50. Not to mention severely limiting cash gen.

I tend to think second rucks will be the main victims of the sub bench. Obviously not every team has one designated but given I may have 8 on the field, hopefully it’s not a gun rookie waiting until three quarter time to come on in their place.

Ps. Also Constable on the field who I basically regard as a rookie. In the 170k min days he would have been 300k-ish.
So, really 9 rookies.

All good points you raise here. My current version has 3 mid-pricers in the mids and the other lines all guns & rooks (if you count Constable as a rook which he basically is).

6 rooks + Constable on field which I think is the sweet spot.

Currently have O. Hollands and Phillips on MID bench as extra rookie spend, allowing for flexible trading early rounds.

Don't feel great about it, but I think it creates greater diversity of teams which can only be a good thing. Making those aggressive early trades is going to be so important this year with so many speculative mid-price picks around the traps.

So after some adjustments, I have 368k to spend.
I suspect another 100-150 will be on bench adjustments, so maybe 220k to be conservative.

Thoughts?

D: Doch Bray Yeo Day Constable Ginbey (Chester Wilmot)
M: Steele Baz Green Duursma Finn 3 rookies (rookies)
R: RoMa Darcy
F: Dunks Taranto/Cogs Rozee Gulden Pou Sheezel
Can you just skip the middlemen in Tom Green and go straight up to a proper premo (Brayshaw?).

It would mitigate against the risk that Green can't take the next step and he's too inside and unable to pad his score with marks.

*Disclaimer, I have Green in my side but have had this thought recently when finding myself with additional cash.

Can you just skip the middlemen in Tom Green and go straight up to a proper premo (Brayshaw?).

It would mitigate against the risk that Green can't take the next step and he's too inside and unable to pad his score with marks.

*Disclaimer, I have Green in my side but have had this thought recently when finding myself with additional cash.
For sure mate
Keeping a bit left over is handy if I get the mid pricer wrong, or there is an essential rookie. But this is too much. Hmm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely people aren't actually relying on scores in pre-season? It's all about the role and price and at his price he's a must.
Shhhhooose up

Of course Guldon is going to average 141 all season ..it’s guaranteed

You’d be insane not to have him in round one

26k left

Least sure about Worpel, Callaghan, Lashams, Laird

In the mix are B Smith, Darcy, Cameron (will only come in if cox not named), Sheed

(Laird to smith allows for Worpel to sheed or lashams to Cameron but not darcy)

Attachments

• E7A91742-5C16-4C6B-BB9F-6934AC493625.jpeg
    E7A91742-5C16-4C6B-BB9F-6934AC493625.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 41
  • 3637DF9D-A2BF-432D-AE3F-E4C8BDEDBC51.jpeg
    3637DF9D-A2BF-432D-AE3F-E4C8BDEDBC51.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 94F1BE70-BF71-4D00-9F48-B313C8C1F1DA.jpeg
    94F1BE70-BF71-4D00-9F48-B313C8C1F1DA.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 42
What’s everyone thoughts on Jayden Hunt? Currently am rolling with him and Constable in the backline. Hoping for nothing more than a solid 60 each week, but should I save the money and downgrade him to a rookie to play on the field and use the cash elsewhere?
Could be used to upgrade Macrae to Brayshaw and Obrien to English.
Just thought Hunt would be a more stable option and considering I already have 3 rookies in the mid, don’t love the look of starting two in the back

What’s everyone thoughts on Jayden Hunt? Currently am rolling with him and Constable in the backline. Hoping for nothing more than a solid 60 each week, but should I save the money and downgrade him to a rookie to play on the field and use the cash elsewhere?
Just thought Hunt would be a more stable option and considering I already have 3 rookies in the mid, don’t love the look of starting two in the back
This is eerily similar to what I have just done. Just sold Macrae to fund Hunt down back as a risk avoidance measure. I did have a 200k def at D6 but it left me exposed last year when I didn't have any bailout options available to slide over too, ended up costing 4 or so trades to right the ship.

Probably depends what you think of the $200k defenders. I've got Cincotta on field and would expect one of him, Wilmot, Chesser to be playing each week.

I think Bray will cop Bytel tag week 1 and not convinced English is a must pick at his price point so the security of Hunt is probably worth it given your set up.

I think there's enough 200k defensive rookies this year though, that's the difference. Cincotta, Chesser, McVee just off the top of my head.
You're probably right. Hopefully they can get some decent scoring happening.

Apologies, maybe I wasn't that clear. The 300 point advantage for the cost of a trade implies all the associated negatives of using that trade (including sideways trading, opportunity cost of a better trade, having three injuries so having to carry a red dot etc).

Ahhhh got cha. Yeah it's always an interesting conversation, and I think really the longer your original higher scoring ruck stays on the field scoring more - the longer it becomes a more justified decision. I may very well still start with English, but his niggles in pre-season worry me when I think about if he'll get rested or just break down again. Tough when you have to spend 900K+ which could be used on a gun mid/def/fwd, who you know has good injury history and won't give you the same headaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams 2023 Fantasy - Rate My Preseason Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back