Teams 2023 Fantasy - Rate My Preseason Team

Remove this Banner Ad

And also likely to have no playing R3 this season so every week a Darcy or English it’s a trade. Warming to Witts, is there any upside? Has done a 104 before. Let’s say he can do a 95 average, might not be far away from English at 100 odd anyway?
Witts is the very definition of set and forget these days as he will get total score near the top rucks.

The difference between him and others is his scores won't be sexy most of the time but is very durable.

If we go off an injury to players in the last 2-3 years no one is a good pick really.

Sure but you also don't need to pick players based on injury records at all. Unless they're incredibly injury prone like a Darcy I don't see the huge bearing on it.

And also likely to have no playing R3 this season so every week a Darcy or English it’s a trade. Warming to Witts, is there any upside? Has done a 104 before. Let’s say he can do a 95 average, might not be far away from English at 100 odd anyway?
I doubt it.
When Witts was averaging 100, he was also averaging over 50 hit-outs per game. He relies on hit-outs for points more than any other ruckman. Unfortunately the changes to the game in recent years are there to reduce stoppages. I think he probably goes at what he is priced at.

Last edited:
I doubt it.
When Witts was averaging 100, he was also averaging over 50 hit-outs per game. He relies on hit-outs for points more than any other ruckman. Unfortunately the changes to the game in recent years are there to reduce stoppages. I think he probably goes at what he is priced at.

Agree with this, but if you play the long game, then he still scores more than 90% of the comp - if he can stay on the field. Ruck scoring is going down in general due to more slingshot movement and less stoppages, so a ruck scoring a 100, is pretty rare, compared to a few years back where it was pretty commonplace.

I think if one of your rucks can go at 100, and the other can go 85-90, you take it, and worry about the rest of the field. Only exception to this is Gawn, who I am still seriously considering given his propensity to score no matter where he is.

Just on Ridley vs Redman vs McGrath and the makeup of our backline

Rids and Red both miss two matches in 2022

Marks : Rids 126 Red 124 …McGrath 90(missed 5 games)
Kelly 132 (missed one game)
Laverde 137 played all matches

Kicks Rids 299 Reds 312 Kelly 214 McGrath 196 Laverde 190

If McGrath plays every game and predominately halfback and Hind (338 kicks/90
Marks- 1 game missed)…gets less games ..I’d see McGrath improving massively

In saying that Im having Ridley myself at 50k less than Reds and 85k less than McGrath

But still I ponder the McGrath situation as he might turn into a Kade Simpson type fantasy piggy.

Last edited:
Just on Ridley vs Redman vs McGrath and the makeup of our backline

Rids and Red both miss two matches in 2022

Marks : Rids 126 Red 124 …McGrath 90(missed 5 games)
Kelly 132 (missed one game)
Laverde 137 played all matches

Kicks Rids 299 Reds 312 Kelly 214 McGrath 196 Laverde 190

If McGrath plays every game and predominately halfback and Hind (300 kicks/90
Marks) gets less games ..I’d see McGrath improving massively

Im having Ridley myself
I'm a former Ridley owner in his "prime days", i'm happy to go him at his price.

dc comics joker GIF
Ridley me this Ridley me that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Final team for this year.

Def - Paid for Doch/Dawson, don't have enough faith in cheaper guys to take the next step, so these two are my favourite. Daicos I don't mind but wasn't convinced on midfield craft at this point + constant tag threat. Yeo locked, hopefully back to his best like they've been saying. Hunt is very meh and just helps fill out the team, scored only 60 on the weekend but as a player he looks good and WC farm marks. Constable is locked, worried about his JS as he's not really a reliable kick but worth riding. Ginbey lock. Cowan/Cinocotta D7 and Wilmot has a wing spot, a nice D8.

Mid - Gone Laird M1 for captain scores. M1 usually doesn't back it up but I think Laird is different, been a fantasy animal for 7-8 years now, doing 100+ with no kick ins. All the points go to Laird in the midfield. Andy Brayshaw's fixture is a bit of a pisstake if he can get through a windhager tag, I'll be monitoring if I can maneuver to him somehow after Round 1. JM played a bit more outsideish and was looking for marks more than last year, but it was vs norf. Have my doubts but only priced at 103, should hold/out it by a bit hopefully. Don't think Bont is top 8 but think he can outdo his price by 5 or so, 100 last year with injuries, more forward time and now no Dunkley. Worpel M4 so a bit light but thought he balled hard against the pies and looked like old worpel. He should get an early run at worst. Think he can do 85+, probably is 60% CBA guy but still passed the eye test. Calla is in for the easy first 5 fixture, think he can do 70-75 with a chance for a spike game. Pretty meh on him but fit the structure, he knows how to find the pill despite his wing role. Ashcroft/Mac/Phill locked, McVee should play as Dees BF board don't sound bullish on an early Salem return. Davey played well but hopefully never touches the field.

Ruck
Roma locked, Witts is pretty eh but reckon he is best of the worst. Combo of durability+ruck time+bye round puts him in this slot. 71 off 3 quarters against Preuss who is one of the toughest match ups and looked exceptional the week before. Think eventually this will end up being Gawn but I don't like paying 900k for a 50% ruckman. His durability is questionable so I'd like to jump on late in the season.

Fwd
Dunkley TT Rozee locked since open. Gulden forced his way in for Cogs. Still like cogs but being the most expensive and probably the worst durability record, he makes way although I would still like him. Flanders getting 30D off HF, hoping he can Dylan Moore it and go 85+ in the HHF role. His workrate is exceptional. This F5 spot is a bit of a crapshoot, I like Bruhn but he is suited to SuperCoach. Sheezel locked although his scoring is in Clarkos hands. Greene and Pedlar easy bench picks, Chandler is utility but open to others. Chandler probably a high sub risk.

1678076869768.png

Final team for this year.

Def - Paid for Doch/Dawson, don't have enough faith in cheaper guys to take the next step, so these two are my favourite. Daicos I don't mind but wasn't convinced on midfield craft at this point + constant tag threat. Yeo locked, hopefully back to his best like they've been saying. Hunt is very meh and just helps fill out the team, scored only 60 on the weekend but as a player he looks good and WC farm marks. Constable is locked, worried about his JS as he's not really a reliable kick but worth riding. Ginbey lock. Cowan/Cinocotta D7 and Wilmot has a wing spot, a nice D8.

Mid - Gone Laird M1 for captain scores. M1 usually doesn't back it up but I think Laird is different, been a fantasy animal for 7-8 years now, doing 100+ with no kick ins. All the points go to Laird in the midfield. Andy Brayshaw's fixture is a bit of a pisstake if he can get through a windhager tag, I'll be monitoring if I can maneuver to him somehow after Round 1. JM played a bit more outsideish and was looking for marks more than last year, but it was vs norf. Have my doubts but only priced at 103, should hold/out it by a bit hopefully. Don't think Bont is top 8 but think he can outdo his price by 5 or so, 100 last year with injuries, more forward time and now no Dunkley. Worpel M4 so a bit light but thought he balled hard against the pies and looked like old worpel. He should get an early run at worst. Think he can do 85+, probably is 60% CBA guy but still passed the eye test. Calla is in for the easy first 5 fixture, think he can do 70-75 with a chance for a spike game. Pretty meh on him but fit the structure, he knows how to find the pill despite his wing role. Ashcroft/Mac/Phill locked, McVee should play as Dees BF board don't sound bullish on an early Salem return. Davey played well but hopefully never touches the field.

Ruck
Roma locked, Witts is pretty eh but reckon he is best of the worst. Combo of durability+ruck time+bye round puts him in this slot. 71 off 3 quarters against Preuss who is one of the toughest match ups and looked exceptional the week before. Think eventually this will end up being Gawn but I don't like paying 900k for a 50% ruckman. His durability is questionable so I'd like to jump on late in the season.

Fwd
Dunkley TT Rozee locked since open. Gulden forced his way in for Cogs. Still like cogs but being the most expensive and probably the worst durability record, he makes way although I would still like him. Flanders getting 30D off HF, hoping he can Dylan Moore it and go 85+ in the HHF role. His workrate is exceptional. This F5 spot is a bit of a crapshoot, I like Bruhn but he is suited to SuperCoach. Sheezel locked although his scoring is in Clarkos hands. Greene and Pedlar easy bench picks, Chandler is utility but open to others. Chandler probably a high sub risk.

View attachment 1622795
Love it. Have 4 different players on the field to you lol. Fun times

Leaning towards this type of structure to start. The added flexibility to trade between each line could prevent any rookie problems at the start while also making it easier to jump on those with a clear role change/upside.

Not too worried about who's selected because I have the extra cash on the bench for now, but ideally it'd be

Dawson > Stewart
Bont > LDU

Still interested in Mclean - Had a 47 point last half in just his 2nd game back. A game that was uncontested for a contested type player who pushes up to the contest.

Ladhams hopefully give 2 decent weeks to see who's going to challenge for top ruck spots.

1678095973811.png

Think I pretty much have my team from prior to the games except I have Gulden Flanders and Libba instead of Green McLean and Cogs lol

Can someone explain to me why Flanders scored a ton? Was it purely him getting CBA's without Touk being there, or did he score heavily around the ground too? Lot of hype about him this pre-season, and wondering if it's worth chasing him over Bruhn or Worpel

Can someone explain to me why Flanders scored a ton? Was it purely him getting CBA's without Touk being there, or did he score heavily around the ground too? Lot of hype about him this pre-season, and wondering if it's worth chasing him over Bruhn or Worpel
Had barely any CBA’s. Just seemed to be everywhere watching the game.

Had barely any CBA’s. Just seemed to be everywhere watching the game.

He's a really interesting choice, because he averaged basically 100 in underage, in his senior years - for both Vic Country and NAB league (102 NAB/98 Vic Country). That was playing as a high half forward, so he's always been a bit of a Fantasy player.

Definitely in the mix...but can you do it not really knowing what his role is? Hmmmmm....

Interesting to note, that while Witts only averaged 90 last season...that he was the second highest OVERALL scorer, for the season (only 74 points behind Gawn as well).

When it comes to rucks, 90's every week might not be 'sexy', but durability by the end of the season generally reigns supreme. As much as I think Darcy and English will likely score more week to week, the possibility for injury at any given moment, is cause to select someone more durable - and not keep wasting trades trying to find the 'right' ruck throughout the season.

View attachment 1622699
While you are burning trades flipping between injured rucks, you're not running donuts at R1 & R2.

So Witts outscoring English by 470 odd points doesn't account for the fact that you trade English out when he goes down.

For example, if English is 300 points ahead of Witts before going down in R17 this year and you switch to Cameron who scores similar to Witts for the remaining rounds - in this instance you're 300 points ahead and it's costing you one trade (+/- whatever the difference is in starting price).

He's a really interesting choice, because he averaged basically 100 in underage, in his senior years - for both Vic Country and NAB league (102 NAB/98 Vic Country). That was playing as a high half forward, so he's always been a bit of a Fantasy player.

Definitely in the mix...but can you do it not really knowing what his role is? Hmmmmm....
High half forward who roams as an extra mid.

He's legit, super fit now

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams 2023 Fantasy - Rate My Preseason Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back