North Melbourne v West Coast, Marvel Stadium, 1.45pm AEDT, Fox
Port Adelaide v Brisbane, Adelaide Oval, 4.05pm ACDT, Fox
Melbourne v Western Bulldogs, MCG, 7.25pm AEDT, Seven
Gold Coast v Sydney, Metricon Stadium, 7.00pm AEST, Fox

Sunday, March 19
Greater Western Sydney v Adelaide, Giants Stadium, 1.10pm AEDT, Fox
Hawthorn v Essendon, MCG, 3.20pm AEDT, Seven
St Kilda v Fremantle, Marvel Stadium, 4.40pm AEDT, Fox

Let's hope for a repeat of round 1 this year.

Did laugh at no Victorian teams leaving Victoria in round 1, whereas we have 5 interstate teams travelling.

The full fixture, with the first 15 rounds plus rounds, match-ups and locations for the rest of the season, will be released next week.

ROUND ONE, 2023​

Thursday, March 16
Richmond v Carlton, MCG, 7.20pm AEDT, Seven

Friday, March 17
Geelong v Collingwood, MCG, 7.40pm AEDT, Seven

Saturday, March 18
North Melbourne v West Coast, Marvel Stadium, 1.45pm AEDT, Fox
Port Adelaide v Brisbane, Adelaide Oval, 4.05pm ACDT, Fox
Melbourne v Western Bulldogs, MCG, 7.25pm AEDT, Seven
Gold Coast v Sydney, Metricon Stadium, 7.00pm AEST, Fox

Sunday, March 19
Greater Western Sydney v Adelaide, Giants Stadium, 1.10pm AEDT, Fox
Hawthorn v Essendon, MCG, 3.20pm AEDT, Seven
St Kilda v Fremantle, Marvel Stadium, 4.40pm AEDT, Fox
Not the most exciting round 1 to be honest

Let's hope for a repeat of round 1 this year.

Did laugh at no Victorian teams leaving Victoria in round 1, whereas we have 5 interstate teams travelling.

Yes also thought that was hilarious.

Must admit, I don't mind travelling first up. You've had 3 months at home, seems like the perfect time to play one of your interstate matches.

Same as travelling after the bye.

Would much rather play at home after a 5 day break, after a trip to Perth, or in the last round.

We beat Port by 11 points round 1 at The Gabba this year
On the previous year's H & A season that game was Port (2nd) v Lions (4th). So, a good win by the Lions first up.

However, Port turned out to be horrible early in the season losing their first 5 games and their season was done
Even the Hawks beat them by 64 points in round 2 at Adelaide Oval

From then on, they improved to end up with 10 wins to our 15

Like all round 1 games it will be hard to win, and playing away makes it a little harder
If we are to finish top 4 we need to start the season well with a win over Port
This time around it will be Lions (6th) v Port (11th) end of H & A season 2022
Baring injuries we should get the win, but it won't be easy

Lion's ins: Gunston, Dunkley, McKenna, Ashcroft, Fletcher, Lester, Cockatoo

Port Ins: Horne-Francis, Jr. Rioli, Evans, McCallum, Scully, Marshall, Williams

God I hope we flog them just to see the look on JHFs face

Well he would be used to being beaten by the Lions ... what would be much more enjoyable would be watching North beat Port convincingly and him coming to the realisiation that he had jumped from North just as they were about to rise over to Port just as they turned into a slime puddle of despondency!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You get to come down a week early for Womadelaide, and then catch the final week of the Adelaide Fringe before the game.
Sneak in a few days in the Barossa and you have a decent footy trip.

I assume they are thinking Melbourne will be in lockdown again.
I believe lockdowns are a thing of the past.

Incredible, but totally predictible pettiness from the AFL to leak the fixture at exactly 6am Sunday morning just as the Socceroos kicked off against Argentina.
This is an argument to say it was smart as everyone is talking about it

So given the AFL gives the away teams in round 1 a home game in round 2 I reckon our first 6 rounds could look something like this.

Round 1 Port away

Round 2 home got it down to 6 possible clubs. Richmond. Dees. Suns (possible but doubtful) GWS Hawthorn or St Kilda

Round 3 def away probably in Melbourne

Round 4 home v Collingwood Easter Thursday

Round 5 Magic round v North

Round 6 ANZAC day round (possibly QClash at the Gabba

Last edited:
So given the AFL gives the away teams in round 1 a home game in round 2 I reckon our first 6 rounds could look something like this.

Round 1 Port away

Round 2 home got it down to 8 possible clubs. Geelong. Richmond. North. Dees. Suns (possible but doubtful) GWS Hawthorn or St Kilda

Round 3 def away probably in Melbourne

Round 4 home v Collingwood Easter Thursday

Round 5 Magic round

Round 6 ANZAC day round (possibly QClash at the Gabba
So we can lock in Sun twilight for the Round 3 slot then?

We've really hit the jackpot this time folks.

Our magic round game will apparently be in Mount Barker, wherever the heck that is.

Against North Melbourne. So another great opportunity for our Melbourne supporters to... Not see our club.

Would have rather played in Hobart... 🤦

Mount Barker is definitely a place I drove through when turning off the highway to stay in the Adelaide Hills.

I remember looking around and thinking "what this metropolis is missing is an AFL game between two interstate clubs". Or, you know, anything open after about 6 pm.

Mount Barker is definitely a place I drove through when turning off the highway to stay in the Adelaide Hills.

I remember looking around and thinking "what this metropolis is missing is an AFL game between two interstate clubs". Or, you know, anything open after about 6 pm.
Ah. This explains why the game is scheduled for noon. Because otherwise it will be impossible for any of the 3 supporters who go to get a beer after the game.

Ah. This explains why the game is scheduled for noon. Because otherwise it will be impossible for any of the 3 supporters who go to get a beer after the game.
We stayed about 5 minutes outside town on holidays back in June - literally our one visit was to find a pharmacy (daughter had croup) and dinner/drink, but all the pharmacies shut at 6 and the pub we tried was full because there was nothing else around to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back