Tomnat Tigers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
Got a few but will start with JR8 shouldn't be in our best 22. Contrary to popular relief he doesn't take attention away from Lynch and with Martin/Bolton and of course Lynch the deep forward spot is well and truly occupied meaning he has to play further up the ground where he still isn't an aerial threat (once was, not doubting that) and doesn't have the athleticism to get back. Cumberland is far more suited to playing that role.

Can’t imagine a bloke in his 17th season is getting out of first gear in PS games.

However I doubt you are wrong once the real stuff starts.

To be fair this 'take' is carrying on from last year. Only its more obvious now with players like Cumberland emerging and midfield arrivals pushing Martin and Bolton into more permanent forward roles.

Add Cotch to the list for mine

Absolutely love him but I have a feeling that carrying him especially in the forward line over a younger player won’t be worth it

I don't see what everyone else sees in MRJ, if he didn't have a famous name he would be a whipping boy.

Whilst I acknowledge his elite pace and therefore can apply pressure, that's undone by his awful decision making and absolutely terrible kicking penetration.

Ducks for cover

Absolutely love him but I have a feeling that carrying him especially in the forward line over a younger player won’t be worth it
Cotch as supersub or not at all imo. Riewolt needs to be up the ground presenting hard. He needs to be the currently missing link between the mids and the forwardline not a target i50. Use his ranga wileyness to full effect.

I don't see what everyone else sees in MRJ, if he didn't have a famous name he would be a whipping boy.

Whilst I acknowledge his elite pace and therefore can apply pressure, that's undone by his awful decision making and absolutely terrible kicking penetration.

Ducks for cover

I agree his decision making and kicking needs work, but as long as his pressure is top notch he will get a game.

His turn over to score stats are ridiculous, if that comes back to earth then he might get dropped but as long as it’s a statistical outlier he stays and learns at afl level.

9EBB6CCF-F22F-40E1-B0EE-273C4C901795.png

I agree his decision making and kicking needs work, but as long as his pressure is top notch he will get a game.

His turn over to score stats are ridiculous, if that comes back to earth then he might get dropped but as long as it’s a statistical outlier he stays and learns at afl level.

View attachment 1622562
I agree with this.
MRJ is our only pressure forward. Shai is quick enough to also play this role but doesn't.
Judson Clarke may also be a possibility but looks to be better suited as the Lambert replacement linkman.
The other possibility is moving D Rioli back forward.
We have a reasonable replacement for him down back in B&F winner J Short.

I don’t disagree with this sentiment and that’s not bc of a couple
Of practice games, it was evident last season and he’ll be even slower this year.

My biggest fear about this season is, will Dimma and the coaches have the balls
To drop Reiwoldt and any other older player if they’re not in our best 22. They didn’t with shed last year when he was clearly not up to pace

• We would be a better side if Soldo played number one ruck with Nank playing around the ground as an intercept player.
  • If its a choice between playing Cotchin or Sonsie (when we can't play both) we should always go with Sonsie.
  • Cumbo and Martin can't play in the same forward line.

What happened to our 3 pressure small forwards? We only play one now

Its being clogged by cotch jack lunch and martin. Opps are walking it out.
Agree, Rioli Jr is our only pressure forward as it stands and it’s really shown

I love Cumbo and Bolton and what they bring offensively but I think they need a slight mindset shift when playing as smalls with only one of them at any one time given licence to be super attacking and the other focusing on defence efforts
Especially when we have the older guys like Dusty and JR in the forward line who also tend to be more on the attacking side

What happened to our 3 pressure small forwards? We only play one now

Its being clogged by cotch jack lunch and martin. Opps are walking it out.
What about giving Mansell a crack.

Just point at the oppo defenders and tell him to chase and bury as many of them as possible. and a new contract is on the line

He'll be manic the lil campaigner.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t expect he ll play much forward think off bench rotating thru midfield , i also reckon dusty still moving well enough to have spells in the midfield too , he ain’t req to be anchored deep forward coz he can hardly move

we'll get smashed by Carltoon if Cumberland and Clarke dont start in the FWDs,id have a starting pack of
Martin,Lynch,Bolton,Cummo,Clarke & Sampson(CHF) with dusty n shai interchanging with tarantino

I don’t expect he ll play much forward think off bench rotating thru midfield , i also reckon dusty still moving well enough to have spells in the midfield too , he ain’t req to be anchored deep forward coz he can hardly move
I guess my only concern with Cotch still playing midfield mins is how much time on ground is he using, Now with Taranto, Hopper, Bolton, Dusty and Prestia assuming full fitness plus guys like Graham are we at the point where we are better served having Sonsie or Dow as that spare mid for the rotations

I guess my only concern with Cotch still playing midfield mins is how much time on ground is he using, Now with Taranto, Hopper, Bolton, Dusty and Prestia assuming full fitness plus guys like Graham are we at the point where we are better served having Sonsie or Dow as that spare mid for the rotations
Yes , Dow was surprisingly effective in the cbd , has good instinct in the pivot as does sonz

Yes , Dow was surprisingly effective in the cbd , has good instinct in the pivot as does sonz
Yeah I really like Dow, he plays a different style of game to our other boys and just adds something to the mix with those lightning hands and ability to still win his own ball

Don’t think he and Sonz are quite ready to be mainstays but by the end of the year I wouldn’t be shocked to see both of them safe picks in the best 22

We haven’t had midfield depth for a long time so it’s a great problem to have for our selection committee

i think Carltoons the ideal opposition to roll with Sampson as the 2nd tall target up FWD,timings everything and the times Rd.1,Lunch & Sampson & Delilah
as the lighthouses w/ Cummo,Shai,Dusty and Clarko pinging them from here there and everywhere

I provided my argument, Im not the simple campaigner playing the Dimma knows best card.
He does know best. He's got the track record to prove it.

Remove this Banner Ad

2023 Hot takes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back