2023 Hot takes

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for confirming you're a simple campaigner. Dimma has never been wrong, all hail Dimma.

Dickhead.
Yes, all hail Dimma. 3 time premiership coach. The second most successful coach in our history. I don't think i'm the one coming off as the DH here. The more you talk, the better i look. But yeah, let's write off a guy who kicked 40+ goals last season after a praccy match at the start of March. Well thought out stuff. Kudos.

To be fair this 'take' is carrying on from last year. Only its more obvious now with players like Cumberland emerging and midfield arrivals pushing Martin and Bolton into more permanent forward roles.
Since Cumberland came into the side last year they have complemented eachother quite well.

Noah kicked 16, Jack 13 and Lynch 24 from round 17 onwards (8 games). Lynchy did miss a couple in that time as well. That’s 53 from these guys (6.6 goals a game). Not bad.

Since Cumberland came into the side last year they have complemented eachother quite well.

Noah kicked 16, Jack 13 and Lynch 24 from round 17 onwards (8 games). Lynchy did miss a couple in that time as well. That’s 53 from these guys (6.6 goals a game). Not bad.

From round 17 onwards Dusty played 1 game. One of those three has to miss to cater for Dustys return. It won't be Lynch and it shouldn't be Cumberland.

Only issue I am seeing so far is that Noah shone when there was NO GOAT.

GOAT was there in EF and Cumberland went missing he had no idea what to do most likely cos GOAT was there.

GOAT and Cumberland have played 3 games together since Cumberland hit the scene and I dont think it is unrerasonable to say Noah hasnt really impacted in amy of em.

Gonna be a juggling act forward and Teague and Dimma gonna have to sort it.

Last edited:
Rioli may have to go forward again. Our smalls can’t generate any pressure and we are overstocked with halfbacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2/3 best pressure players (Graham/Pickett) were missing in the preseason games plus it was preseason. It's another reason why Jacks place in the team shouldn't be guarenteed.

From round 17 onwards Dusty played 1 game. One of those three has to miss to cater for Dustys return. It won't be Lynch and it shouldn't be Cumberland.
So? You said this take was carrying on from last year. Last year the forward line fired with Jack in it.

The one game Lynch, Dusty, Bolton, Riewoldt and Cumberland all played together they kicked 10.4.

Averaged 2.1 goals between the five of them.
And Jack kicked three.

So how does this ‘take’ ‘carry on from last year’?

So? You said this take was carrying on from last year. Last year the forward line fired with Jack in it.

The one game Lynch, Dusty, Bolton, Riewoldt and Cumberland all played together they kicked 10.4.

Averaged 2.1 goals between the five of them.
And Jack kicked three.

So how does this ‘take’ ‘carry on from last year’?

Yet with the exception of Lynch they all had below par games. The structure was wrong and Brisbane walked the ball out of our backline with ease.

Yet with the exception of Lynch they all had below par games. The structure was wrong and Brisbane walked the ball out of our backline with ease.
Well Dusty was obviously undercooked.
Shai was great up forward.
Jack and Lynch kicked 6 between them.
All except Noah kicked more goals than their season average.

So what’s the narrative you are pushing now?
Jacks not carrying his weight defensively or offensively? Jack had three tackles inside 50 (equal most on the night by the way).

My hot take is you never make a ruck captain unless they are one of the best in the league.

Whether you think nank/soldo is the better no1, i think its a stupid decision to pick a player captain competing for at most 1-2 spots in the team. Just doesnt the match commitee flexibility if they want to go with other taller options against certain teams.

Rioli may have to go forward again. Our smalls can’t generate any pressure and we are overstocked with halfbacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the coaches will back in the team for at least a few weeks of the season.

I don’t think Cotch as a forward will work but MRJ and Cumbo haven’t set the world on fire this pre season.

Mansell has looked the best of the small forwards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing about Jack is that he can play a stinker for 3 quarters and then pop up in the last and kick 2 goals from the boundary line to seal the game. Jack is a smart player, I would back him more than anyone to be aware of his limitations and still find ways to contribute through his leadership, composure and experience. Jack and Cotch make us a better team.

Well Dusty was obviously undercooked.
Shai was great up forward.
Jack and Lynch kicked 6 between them.
All except Noah kicked more goals than their season average.

So what’s the narrative you are pushing now?
Jacks not carrying his weight defensively or offensively? Jack had three tackles inside 50 (equal most on the night by the way).

Im not nit picking anything. You're using one stat to form your argument despite every other stat suggesting it didn't work as a collective. Jack scored three very good goals from the boundary which in itself is a concern. Bolton, Dusty and Cumberland where down on score involvements and in general couldn't get in the game. Too many cooks.

Tell me what does JR8 provide to the team this year with Bolton/Lynch spending even more time forward and Lynch being the focal point alongside those two guys. He isn't drawing attention away from them and he is useless up the ground these days so where does he fit? His role is reduced to that of a mid size forward who is expected to be able to push up the ground and back again while providing pressure. Does that role sound like it will suit Jack. Thats the issue here, you're just too naive to see it.

Im not nit picking anything. You're using one stat to form your argument despite every other stat suggesting it didn't work as a collective. Jack scored three very good goals from the boundary which in itself is a concern. Bolton, Dusty and Cumberland where down on score involvements and in general couldn't get in the game. Too many cooks.

Tell me what does JR8 provide to the team this year with Bolton/Lynch spending even more time forward and Lynch being the focal point alongside those two guys. He isn't drawing attention away from them and he is useless up the ground these days so where does he fit? His role is reduced to that of a mid size forward who is expected to be able to push up the ground and back again while providing pressure. Does that role sound like it will suit Jack. Thats the issue here, you're just too naive to see it.
You are the one claiming this take ‘carrying on from last year’.

I’ve shown you how the five players kicked more scores offensively in the game they played together and how Jack, Cumberland and Lynch combined well in the games they played together.

Tell me what every other stat didn’t work as a collective? I’m keen to hear your view.

If you are projecting forward, or using the pre season games as evidence, that’s fine, just go on and admit this is what you are basing your analysis on.

But don’t tell me he didn’t perform well last year, particularly with Noah and Tom combining with him.

We went 4-1 with that combo (with the loss being 2 points in the EF). They kicked on average three more goals as a side with this combo in the forward line than when any were missing in 2022. Too many cooks?

I’m not sure what stats you are looking at but I’d take a three goal lift with a forward line combo any day.

You can put your house on what Jack will produce this year as the 2nd kpf

He will kick 35-40+ goals and also have a hand in just as many

Players he needs to be compared to this year would be Darling , Membrey , Mihocek , Daniher and he kicked more goals than all of them last year

If he was 30 years old would we be having this discussion

You are the one claiming this take ‘carrying on from last year’.

I’ve shown you how the five players kicked more scores offensively in the game they played together and how Jack, Cumberland and Lynch combined well in the games they played together.

Tell me what every other stat didn’t work as a collective? I’m keen to hear your view.

If you are projecting forward, or using the pre season games as evidence, that’s fine, just go on and admit this is what you are basing your analysis on.

But don’t tell me he didn’t perform well last year, particularly with Noah and Tom combining with him.

We went 4-1 with that combo (with the loss being 2 points in the EF). They kicked on average three more goals as a side with this combo in the forward line than when any were missing in 2022. Too many cooks?

I’m not sure what stats you are looking at but I’d take a three goal lift with a forward line combo any day.

So you're using a five game sample size, two of which we come against two of the poorer defences in the comp and were absolute blow outs. Stats need context.

Score involvements, pressure acts, contested marks. Each game had its own issue and needs context but the writing on the wall was the Essendon game when we provided zero pressure out of our forward line and coughed up easy goals. Jack isn't solely responsible for that but his spot is keeping someone who can help address that out of a game.

Im using the evidence of Jack season last year where he was decoy forward and a year younger and using the new looked forward line and seeing no space there for him. Start of last season, Bolton wasn't the player he is now, Cumberland was a nobody and Martin was still considered a hybrid mid/forward. It's a combination of factors between what the team needs and what Jack presently provides. 5 years ago its not a question, he could be relied upon to take big marks when needed, he could get up and down the ground better, he took the best defender. Last year he did none of those things in most games, opposition coaches were playing inexperienced defenders on him and showing him little respect. This season if Dusty is playing full time forward he is assuming the role Jack had last year, opposition coaches will be respecting him more and also where does that leave Jack.

Something has to give. The system which has been so good for so long can't function with this many chefs, our game is literally built on pressure and with a forward line of Jack, Lynch, Martin, Cumberland, MRJ and Bolton, only one player amongst them will consistently provide it. Give me the 'glory days' were we would suffocate teams and have countless inside 50's but struggle to score for periods compared to the shoot outs we had at the end of last season.

Add Cotch to the list for mine

Absolutely love him but I have a feeling that carrying him especially in the forward line over a younger player won’t be worth it

Cotch should be playing that 5th/sub bench role. Would be far more useful coming in half way through the 3rd and whacking him in the middle when everyone else starts tiring

Each game had its own issue and needs context but the writing on the wall was the Essendon game when we provided zero pressure out of our forward line and coughed up easy goals. Jack isn't solely responsible for that but his spot is keeping someone who can help address that out of a game.
Which Essendon game are you referring to?
The first one where we won by 5 goals and Jack had 4.2, 10 marks, 8 score involvements, 3 tackles inside 50.

Or the second one where we won by 11 goals despite Lynch only playing three quarters?

Which was the one that we allowed easy goals that left you so unimpressed?

Im using the evidence of Jack season last year where he was decoy forward and a year younger and using the new looked forward line and seeing no space there for him.
Last season as the decoy forward he kicked 40 goals. Only 19 players in the entire comp kicked more than him. His ‘decoy’ allowed us to have two more players in the top 20 goal kickers.

Of the top clubs, only Geelong had a better combo when you took their three best goal kickers.

The bar you are setting is extremely high.

If 2022 wasn’t a pass mark for Jack, there’s no chance he will appease you at all in any stage this year.

Jack, Cotch and Prestia our new whipping boys.

9 Premierships between them.

heck it must be deep in the season and finals are on the line !?

No, a practice match 2 w before R1 lol

Here is a hot take for you. Young will get smashed if he plays R1. Undersized against McKay. Unlikely to be able to go with Curnow and would possibly be ragdolled against the ruckmen resting forward (as show against Melb's rucks). Looks a great prospect but very late to footy and immature as a footballer. He's had one season in the VFL.

Sure hope Taz gets up.

Rubbing hands together with glee
Just my favourite topic. Can't wait to get the hate on just objectively true hot takes because people can't handle that this is a performance game and sentimentality doesn't win flags. I fully believe that we lose/don't make the 17 granny if we still had Lids on the list. But that is the hot take of 6 years ago. For the 2023 takes.

• I have this unshakeable feeling that Bolton will have read all the headlines and let it go to his head. Now he has signed the be contract I have a sick feeling he will be down anywhere up to 25% on his 22 output.
  • Cotchin will be carried to 300 games. He is a champ of the club but he is cooked for the long season. He will also end up taking games off a more deserving player.
  • We will lose either Graham or Ross (or both) for next to nothing at the end of the year
  • Due to Lynch's poor preseason (through no fault of his own) he will not be the forward we saw last year.
  • We will still have issues around stoppages. We will look great at the centre bounce ones but due to a lack of team defence, we will still struggle with the around the ground ones.
  • MJR will be dropped by round 5 with everyone going nuts about his absence when he returns around week 14-17 after building the fitness he should of built in the offseason.
  • Shorty becomes the new Castagna and his form takes a dive
  • We are going to struggle to make the 8 because of our team defense being piss poor. We will leak large scores but not have the attacking power to outweigh our leaky defence.
  • Nank will lose us more games than he will help us win. Due to being Captain, he wont be dropped.
  • It will be clear to everyone outside the club that Baker is actually the type of player/Character that should be the sole Captain.
Let the Hate Begin.
Lets Fight About It GIF

Rubbing hands together with glee
Just my favourite topic. Can't wait to get the hate on just objectively true hot takes because people can't handle that this is a performance game and sentimentality doesn't win flags. I fully believe that we lose/don't make the 17 granny if we still had Lids on the list. But that is the hot take of 6 years ago. For the 2023 takes.

• I have this unshakeable feeling that Bolton will have read all the headlines and let it go to his head. Now he has signed the be contract I have a sick feeling he will be down anywhere up to 25% on his 22 output.
  • Cotchin will be carried to 300 games. He is a champ of the club but he is cooked for the long season. He will also end up taking games off a more deserving player.
  • We will lose either Graham or Ross (or both) for next to nothing at the end of the year
  • Due to Lynch's poor preseason (through no fault of his own) he will not be the forward we saw last year.
  • We will still have issues around stoppages. We will look great at the centre bounce ones but due to a lack of team defence, we will still struggle with the around the ground ones.
  • MJR will be dropped by round 5 with everyone going nuts about his absence when he returns around week 14-17 after building the fitness he should of built in the offseason.
  • Shorty becomes the new Castagna and his form takes a dive
  • We are going to struggle to make the 8 because of our team defense being piss poor. We will leak large scores but not have the attacking power to outweigh our leaky defence.
  • Nank will lose us more games than he will help us win. Due to being Captain, he wont be dropped.
  • It will be clear to everyone outside the club that Baker is actually the type of player/Character that should be the sole Captain.
Let the Hate Begin.
Lets Fight About It GIF
Bloody hell I love it mate

Definitely don’t agree with all of them but a few of them had me nodding my head and made some great discussion points

Remove this Banner Ad

2023 Hot takes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back