2023 Hot takes

Remove this Banner Ad

Only issue I am seeing so far is that Noah shone when there was NO GOAT.

GOAT was there in EF and Cumberland went missing he had no idea what to do most likely cos GOAT was there.

GOAT and Cumberland have played 3 games together since Cumberland hit the scene and I dont think it is unrerasonable to say Noah hasnt really impacted in amy of em.

Gonna be a juggling act forward and Teague and Dimma gonna have to sort it.
The goat had nothing to do with Cumbo dropping easymarks and shanking kicks. Bolton is the key to making it all work. He needs to lift his defensive output.

The goat had nothing to do with Cumbo dropping easymarks and shanking kicks. Bolton is the key to making it all work. He needs to lift his defensive output.
Yep, a lift in forward line intensity always ends up returning goals and also starts to make the defenders rush or get nervous, start fumbling or dropping marks. Bolton has that capacity and needs to lift. They all do.

2/3 best pressure players (Graham/Pickett) were missing in the preseason games plus it was preseason. It's another reason why Jacks place in the team shouldn't be guarenteed.

It stood out last year as well. Teams transition on us too quickly at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It stood out last year as well. Teams transition on us too quickly at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In some games certainly. Though when we got the correct balance i.e Prestia fit and no Gibcus we looked much more like the team we were during the premiership years. The selection committee was ****ing woeful last year.

Just knee cap Weitering they have no one else to stop Lynch.
Our delivery inside F50 does a better job of stopping Lynch than any defender

Add Cotch to the list for mine

Absolutely love him but I have a feeling that carrying him especially in the forward line over a younger player won’t be worth it

I don’t think it’s a risk “ carrying” a bloke who came 5th in last years BNF . Just sayin .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don’t think it’s a risk “ carrying” a bloke who came 5th in last years BNF . Just sayin .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Depends how you look at it, he came 5th in the bnf playing in the midfield that at times was completely running on fumes, this year due to our trade pick ups and the natural growth younger guys ready to step up (Graham, Ross, Dow, Sonsie) Cotchin will be playing a role he’s never played before with a skill set that doesn’t necessarily complement the role

It’s a hot take for a reason and not meant to be popular

My hot takes for 2023 is - We won't make the 8 this year.

Yes we've brought in Taranto & Hopper to help fix the midfield moving forward, however we're going to see the likes of Cotchin and Martin spending a lot less time up around the ball Prestia is constantly battling issues physically, Lambert is gone as is Edwards and we're still trying to find the next wave of midfielders to support Taranto and Hopper moving forward with the likes of Graham Ross & Dow yet to truly solidify their spots in the actual midfield, rather than playing secondary roles like high half forward/wing/rotational midfielder.

Up forward we have a forward line of paper that should scare the crap out of opposition defenders with Lynch Jack Martin & Bolton capable of 130-150 goals for the season combined, but defensively they leave a lot to be desired when it comes to accountability. Sure they'll do the chasing and pressuring that they're required to do, but when have we really see them run an opponent down and lay a big tackle. Maurice certainly has an impact in that area of the game, leading league in scores from turnover. Cotchin is rumoured to be spending more time up forward and while he is more than capable of laying tackles and putting on pressure around the contest, against fleet footed HBs he'll have his hands full and it won't take long for opposition coaches to start exposing that. Cumberland seems to be a mix between attacking weapons like Martin & Bolton and the defensive accountability like Maurice and George were known for. I also think we're going to be looking at settling in Jacks long term replacement with both Miller and Ryan looking like they'll get opportunities this year. Whether that is while Jack and Tom are playing or coming in when either Jack or Tom are out injured/rested, it will impact how our forward line functions as they develop chemistry with the others both in the forward line and the midfielders/rebounding defenders delivering the ball inside 50.

I thought that 2022 was going to be the transtion year where we moved from the premiership heroes of 2017-2020 to the next generation, but with 11 of the 22 from 2017 gone and another 2 likely to be gone at years end, it genuinely seems like this year will be the transition year and you can see that happening already with the likes of Clarke Miller Ryan Young Dow seemingly on the fringes of the 22 as we head into Round 1 and the above mentioned issues I truly believe that a lot of people who seem to be expecting us to be in contention for the flag who are shocked at where we end up come the end of the H&A season.

Yes we've brought in Taranto & Hopper to help fix the midfield moving forward, however we're going to see the likes of Cotchin and Martin spending a lot less time up around the ball Prestia is constantly battling issues physically, Lambert is gone as is Edwards and we're still trying to find the next wave of midfielders to support Taranto and Hopper moving forward with the likes of Graham Ross & Dow yet to truly solidify their spots in the actual midfield, rather than playing secondary roles like high half forward/wing/rotational midfielder.

Up forward we have a forward line of paper that should scare the crap out of opposition defenders with Lynch Jack Martin & Bolton capable of 130-150 goals for the season combined, but defensively they leave a lot to be desired when it comes to accountability. Sure they'll do the chasing and pressuring that they're required to do, but when have we really see them run an opponent down and lay a big tackle. Maurice certainly has an impact in that area of the game, leading league in scores from turnover. Cotchin is rumoured to be spending more time up forward and while he is more than capable of laying tackles and putting on pressure around the contest, against fleet footed HBs he'll have his hands full and it won't take long for opposition coaches to start exposing that. Cumberland seems to be a mix between attacking weapons like Martin & Bolton and the defensive accountability like Maurice and George were known for. I also think we're going to be looking at settling in Jacks long term replacement with both Miller and Ryan looking like they'll get opportunities this year. Whether that is while Jack and Tom are playing or coming in when either Jack or Tom are out injured/rested, it will impact how our forward line functions as they develop chemistry with the others both in the forward line and the midfielders/rebounding defenders delivering the ball inside 50.

I thought that 2022 was going to be the transtion year where we moved from the premiership heroes of 2017-2020 to the next generation, but with 11 of the 22 from 2017 gone and another 2 likely to be gone at years end, it genuinely seems like this year will be the transition year and you can see that happening already with the likes of Clarke Miller Ryan Young Dow seemingly on the fringes of the 22 as we head into Round 1 and the above mentioned issues I truly believe that a lot of people who seem to be expecting us to be in contention for the flag who are shocked at where we end up come the end of the H&A season.

reckon with the amount of dog shit teams in the league we are still among one of the better 7 though so flag from 7th incoming

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends how you look at it, he came 5th in the bnf playing in the midfield that at times was completely running on fumes, this year due to our trade pick ups and the natural growth younger guys ready to step up (Graham, Ross, Dow, Sonsie) Cotchin will be playing a role he’s never played before with a skill set that doesn’t necessarily complement the role

It’s a hot take for a reason and not meant to be popular
Thanks for the guidance. I know what a hot take is. Just responding to that take, I don't think it was so hot and responded. I thought that what what forums are for.

I look at it like this :
124 possessions in his last 5 games, kicked 3.2. Plenty of gas on that analysis.

hot take no . 1 Trent , playing more game time up forward, will kick 30 or more goals in 2023.
hot take no 2 : Vlaustin finally to get the AA he deserves.

Daniel Rioli will be a permanent forward again by about round 12.

Jack Ross to finish top six in our best and fairest.

Episode 2 Goodbye GIF by The Office

I don't see what everyone else sees in MRJ, if he didn't have a famous name he would be a whipping boy.

Whilst I acknowledge his elite pace and therefore can apply pressure, that's undone by his awful decision making and absolutely terrible kicking penetration.

Ducks for cover

So YouTube algorithm just gave me this. Obviously it’s a highlights clip so you only see the good, but there are so many special things in this that few can do outside the pressure he applies, which imo is enough to get him a game.

Fend offs, side steps, break away pace, one handed pick ups at full tilt etc…

But like you said, and I agree, this shows his kicking as “loopy”, reminds me of Jack Higgins in that. But he does manage to slot one from on 50 against the hawks, so hopefully they can tidy it up and flatten it out.

But at the worst, with time and hard work on his part, we should have an elite small forward like Stengle (who took 5-6 years to put it together). Maybe not as naturally brilliant a goal kicker but a much faster and better defensive skill set. At best you could get a high half forward who pinch hits in the midfield like a Walters at Freo.

Just has so much to work with.

My hot take
We’ll be a better side without Reiwoldt and Tarrant in our 22(still on the fence about cotch)
Geez I hope you are right. Will bode well for the future.
I’d love us to slaughter this years free agency and get both Himmelberg and McKay as free agents without giving up any draft collateral, after winning the flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back