2023 Hot takes

Remove this Banner Ad

So YouTube algorithm just gave me this. Obviously it’s a highlights clip so you only see the good, but there are so many special things in this that few can do outside the pressure he applies, which imo is enough to get him a game.

Fend offs, side steps, break away pace, one handed pick ups at full tilt etc…

But like you said, and I agree, this shows his kicking as “loopy”, reminds me of Jack Higgins in that. But he does manage to slot one from on 50 against the hawks, so hopefully they can tidy it up and flatten it out.

But at the worst, with time and hard work on his part, we should have an elite small forward like Stengle (who took 5-6 years to put it together). Maybe not as naturally brilliant a goal kicker but a much faster and better defensive skill set. At best you could get a high half forward who pinch hits in the midfield like a Walters at Freo.

Just has so much to work with.

Watching him this preseason, he is a solid boy. Perhaps too solid?

So YouTube algorithm just gave me this. Obviously it’s a highlights clip so you only see the good, but there are so many special things in this that few can do outside the pressure he applies, which imo is enough to get him a game.

Fend offs, side steps, break away pace, one handed pick ups at full tilt etc…

But like you said, and I agree, this shows his kicking as “loopy”, reminds me of Jack Higgins in that. But he does manage to slot one from on 50 against the hawks, so hopefully they can tidy it up and flatten it out.

But at the worst, with time and hard work on his part, we should have an elite small forward like Stengle (who took 5-6 years to put it together). Maybe not as naturally brilliant a goal kicker but a much faster and better defensive skill set. At best you could get a high half forward who pinch hits in the midfield like a Walters at Freo.

Just has so much to work with.

when Bolton first came in he could only kick it like 20m and he's come good. mrj should be alright by the time he debuts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If short isn’t entrenched as our premium half back by the end of the season, he doesn’t have a place in our team and I would shop him to the Gold Coast.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

i hope you are correct about Jack Ross, Dan Rioli won't happen.
Ross won’t either. Honest but a borderline AFL regular
Riewoldt is a smart enough footballer to play a role in our best side each week. If opposition coaches ignore him, he’ll be damaging… as team first selfless players are.
Cotchin has never been a goal kicking mid, and for me he’s still an inside mid only but with Prestia being injury prone he’ll still be there and only effectively there.
My concerns are an aging squad still reliant on guys in their 30s to carry us.
Hopefully the Balta to the forward line theories are squashed forever and Grimes and Tarrant stay fit and stand up.
I think we may make the 8 but are unlikely to threaten…. and that’s ok after what we’ve achieved

Ross won’t either. Honest but a borderline AFL regular
Riewoldt is a smart enough footballer to play a role in our best side each week. If opposition coaches ignore him, he’ll be damaging… as team first selfless players are.
Cotchin has never been a goal kicking mid, and for me he’s still an inside mid only but with Prestia being injury prone he’ll still be there and only effectively there.
My concerns are an aging squad still reliant on guys in their 30s to carry us.
Hopefully the Balta to the forward line theories are squashed forever and Grimes and Tarrant stay fit and stand up.
I think we may make the 8 but are unlikely to threaten…. and that’s ok after what we’ve achieved

I reckon we will go close to being unbeaten thus year . Similar to the drug cheats in 2000.
I don’t subscribe to the age if the list is a concern , just diatribe sparked by Barrett and other haters . Cotchin and Riewoldt showed nothing to concern me last year that they were on the slide . In fact they were superb in the back half where surprise surprise we were pretty good . Same as Grimes and Tarrant ( who , uninformed haters aside) was simply an outstanding success as a recruit .
Where we may fall down is if we play blokes like mansell and Miller . The love for these blokes from some on our board and the podcast is staggering. They remind me of Chris Hyde and Michael Laffy . They should only get a gig when or if the injury list gets very long.

2023 I feel the Tigers mean business.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The question we should be asking is can Balta kick a ton from defence.

The goal he kicked back over the head kick out against Melbourne real should happen more often

Can Balta be the Stephen Curry of kicking long goals way out?? Darren Bennett used to be able to kick long goals before playing NFL but Balta can play defence so could be on the receiving end for a shot in some interesting positions.

The other thing is when Balta kicks goals from 50 plus our forward line are able to have a rest. The interesting part is setting Balta up while he plays his defensive role

I don't see what everyone else sees in MRJ, if he didn't have a famous name he would be a whipping boy.

Whilst I acknowledge his elite pace and therefore can apply pressure, that's undone by his awful decision making and absolutely terrible kicking penetration.

Ducks for cover
His 2 goals very important in a close game so kudos to him but I'm still not convinced with his decision making.

He seems to run back into trouble instead of just burning the opposition with his pace. Anyone else notice he does unnecessary spins and gets himself into more trouble?

His 2 goals very important in a close game so kudos to him but I'm still not convinced with his decision making.

He seems to run back into trouble instead of just burning the opposition with his pace. Anyone else notice he does unnecessary spins and gets himself into more trouble?
Bump.

Maurice makes far too many mistakes.

If he didn't have a famous name people would talk about him like Mansell.

That missed tackle on Laird is inexcusable, Rory didn't even know he was coming and still just brushed him off.

Last edited:
Damo style.....

IF

you were frustrated with Shedda last year given a year too long...

THEN

brace in for double the frustration with both Jack and Cotch

They have been champions of the club all three of them.

Is Dimma to far up the opposite spectrum of your Clarkson/Mitchell method of moving champs on before they are struggling.

Remove this Banner Ad

2023 Hot takes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back