List Mgmt. 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our list is in good shape. All core players locked in for at least the next two years. Key position pillars are there, as well as a strong midfield. This off season is more about tweaking around the edges.

More speed and skill is required to complement our strong clearance and contest game. Williams returning will help as he ticks both boxes. Boyd is a beautiful kick and one to persist with. Look to the draft for another 2-3 youngsters and potentially find a cheap ish buy from another club that can improve us - eg Hollands from GC.

I’d be looking to sign March and DC asap on 1 year deals. Both have been held back by their bodies but are perhaps starting to find some continuity. A good pre season for both could see them take their games to another level.

See a lot of upside from guys like Hollands, Kemp, Mots, TDK and Cowan. Even the group of Martin, March, DC and McGovern have another level to go to that comes from confidence in their bodies.

I'd consider what we've invested in learning our systems and developing "connections" with the defensive group (as applicable and relative to talent differential)

It would be interesting to know what emphasis is put on that. Durdin is quite far down the pecking order, to me he’s there in case of an emergency.

Everytime you pick a kid in the draft, they could be something special, we know what Durdin is, sticking with him is playing things too safe.

Given where our first round pick lands this year and our lack of other currency we should definitely consider trading it. Historically the hit rate for first round picks 15+ isn't much better then 2nd rounders but clubs will still overpay for it particularly if there is a player they like there on draft night.

Last year Hathorn gave up pick 27, a F2 and a F3 for pick 18. Would be great if we could land a deal like that.
But the kid they picked up is a gun

binns the only blues player to make the vfl team of the year.........
Keen to see him being rolled out sometime next year in the ones. Didn't watch a lot of VFL this season but what I did see of him, looks like we have a serious mid in the making on our hands. Still has the frame of a kid, however with a good off season and a few KG's should get his opportunity earlier than later.

Mid year we we’re definitely into Gresham & Jordan. I was told Gresham was virtually a done deal.

I don’t know what’s happened since

If we got Hollands Harmes Gresham and kept our first rounder I’d be very happy

I think Gresham is still hanging out for us, but the move will be on our terms if it does eventuate. He probably thought he’d have more suitors at this point but he did himself no favours during the season.

Moving from StKilda to Essendon at this point in his career seems like a shocking move.

Harmes and Hollands would be great additions. Williams effectively a new recruit, that is plenty of change in an offseason for where the list is at.

After watching Elijah Hollands today in the Magoos Grand Final, he looks a player that Ollie will eventually morph into, but currently more of an inside with a bigger box of tricks. Seems like he's got similar running capacity of Ollie as well. There were a few aspects of his game I wasn't that keen on, but the type of things a coach like Vossy would hammer out of him fairly easily.

With Ed retiring, Paddy D possibly on the move, Philpy possibly being delisted, and Carroll being a slow burn, our midfield depth is getting a tad depleted. Which is why we're probably keen on him - and in turn would also give us more flexibility in the ND as well, if we're targeting a mid size forward and/or a key defender.

It would also compliment our list profile as well, with a couple of twin outside runners/jets set to join us in 2024.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Gresham is still hanging out for us, but the move will be on our terms if it does eventuate. He probably thought he’d have more suitors at this point but he did himself no favours during the season.

Moving from StKilda to Essendon at this point in his career seems like a shocking move.

Harmes and Hollands would be great additions. Williams effectively a new recruit, that is plenty of change in an offseason for where the list is at.

My fear with Gresham is that SOS matches our bid just to shaft us, knowing full well that we will be obligated to orchestrate a trade once we have got gresham to committ. I don't reckon we would offer Gresh a salary that would even get the saints band 2 compo.

I heard Smith will be at the Hawks next year
Some names that we may target, that are available that could help us

Hollands
Harmes
Lohmann
Gresham
Billings
Henry
Bailey Smith? Not happy at Dogs
Brockman

The cupboard is fairly bare. Hollands and the draft seem to be best bet

My fear with Gresham is that SOS matches our bid just to shaft us, knowing full well that we will be obligated to orchestrate a trade once we have got gresham to committ. I don't reckon we would offer Gresh a salary that would even get the saints band 2 compo.

That is a concern that would hopefully be sorted before anything went public. Gresham is valuable because he is free. We don’t have a lot of draft assets as it is and it seems like Hollands is a priority. Will be interesting to see where it goes.

Who would Holland from GC replace in the current team/ fight a position for?

He's potentially a more "natural" footballer than Cunners, if we're talking about who he'd replace from our most common best 22 of the last couple months. Depending on his workrate and defensive application he's got a higher ceiling than Fogarty and could replace him if we're talking about how he fits into Saturday's lineup.

I think Gresham and Hollands are an either/or scenario. Talk was that we were into Gresham earlier in the year, but our interest cooled. Not long after that was when we started being linked to Hollands. That would indicate that we either approached or were approached by Eli's management and both parties think it'll be a good fit and an achievable trade negotiation.

He's potentially the "Rayner-type" that people want us to find. Not overly quick, but strong, classy, excellent one-on-one, good finisher and prepared to do the defensive work. Hopefully get him for whatever we get for Fisher and/or Dow.

I like the Buku Khamis and Chris Burgess suggestions in an SEN article I read earlier. That's the type of tall forward we need to target - good enough and mature enough to plug a hole, but limited enough that they'll be cheap and willing to play ressies.

I don't think a half back distributor will be high on our list. Easy to forget, but Boyd has played all of about 13 full games at senior level, that's it. He's not accumulating at this stage, but if we continue to play him and look to get the ball in his hands, he'd certainly be capable of getting it 15-20 times (similar numbers to Keidean Coleman who has 60+ games to date) instead of his current 8-12 average. Persist with Boyd, he's got the tools and the attitude, it's now down to experience and a gameplan that plays through him. Williams also comes back in.

Khamis/Burgess - backup KPF/third tall, cheap in trade and salary. Not a glamourous pickup but a structurally important one. Token pick or DFA?

We've also picked up the two Irish lads. Monahan looks a good forward half prospect, while Duffy is probably more medium/rebounding defender material. Both are free hits.

I think that'll be about it for us in the off-season.

Out: Curnow, Plow, Dow, Fisher, Honey, Philp
In: Pick 18-20, Hollands, [cheap tall], Monahan, Duffy

Our first and potentially only draft pick is probably just best available. KPD might be the favoured option if one is there.

2024 Seniors:
FB: McGovern, Weitering, Newman
HB: Williams, Marchbank, Saad
C: Acres, Cripps, O. Hollands
R: Pittonet, Cerra, Walsh
HF: E. Hollands, McKay, Martin
FF: Motlop, Curnow, [Owies/Durdin/Cottrell]
I/C: [Boyd/Kemp], Docherty, [Hewett/Kennedy] TDK
SUB: [Cottrell/Durdin]

Pick one of Boyd and Kemp depending on matchups. Pick one of Hewett and Kennedy depending on form and fitness. Pick one of Owies and Durdin depending on form and fitness, or Cottrell if the run is required. Have bolded my initial preferences.

2024 Reserves (aligned roughly with their senior counterparts):
FB: Kemp, Durdin, Cowan
HB: Cincotta, Young, Duffy
C: Binns, Kennedy, O'Brien
R: O'Keeffe, Cuningham, Carroll
HF: Monahan, Silvagni, Akuei
FF: Durdin, Lemmey, Fogarty
I/C: Mirkov, [Pick ~20], [cheap tall], [VFL player]

Not many in that reserves lineup that you'd say should 100% be playing senior footy. Plenty who you'd be confident you could rely on to step up and meet Vossy's expectations based on demonstrated senior form - Kemp, Cinc, Young, Kennedy, Cunners, JSOS, Durdin, Fogarty.

Last edited:
No way we are obligated to trade. We offer him a contract as a free agent. If saints match it he's theirs. That's if we're still interested.

My fear with Gresham is that SOS matches our bid just to shaft us, knowing full well that we will be obligated to orchestrate a trade once we have got gresham to committ. I don't reckon we would offer Gresh a salary that
I dont really know what he's worth TBH. But I think he and E Hollands would both be good pick ups. Then go to the draft.

Here are the players I would like to see us chase.

Dylan Stephen
Buku Khamis
Chris Burgess
Elijah Hollands
Trey Ruscoe
Blake Colman
Ned Morley
Will Gould

If we add ruck depth i'll look at Lycett over Goldstein.

What about if we strike a deal with SOS. If they don't match our offer, we'll basically let Dow walk to them for free.

Okay....it was a silly idea, but I'm still a little shellshocked from yesterday :drunk:

What will be stupid is that we will trade Fisher and Dow and the players that we will need to improve the team and players who are like Fisher and Dow. If we can upgrade on them that would be awesome, but will we is the question.

They only played in the first place because of injuries, the upgrades are right here in Cerra and Boyd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back