Strategy 2023 Midpricers Madness

Remove this Banner Ad

Love him as a player and he will be a part of Hawthorn’s midfield rotation this season. But his durability is a concern and he’s about $50k too expensive for me to take on the risk.

Others may disagree though.. Blackhawk42

Been in my team all pre-season balanced with Yeo.

Currently NOT in my team but may find his way back in.

Confident he'll average around the 85 mark minimum with a good run at it. Coaches have been surprised at his ability to absorb contact training in the midfield all summer so his durability concerns may not be such an issue.

Ultimate Warrior Wrestling GIF by WWE
Curt was such a good seller.

Food for thought, for those picking Callaghan

View attachment 1630276
Pretty sure he was an inside mid as a junior. Just imo but can see him getting increasing mid time through the year. And in the quite likely event that one of Cog's or Jelly misses, he's in business.

Miles Bergman would be a big balls play. Very expensive for a speculative mid priced but he’s looking primed. Down to Setterfield v him for a value shot at M5 - at the moment Setterfield winning as the money saved is helpful but geez I reckon Bergman is a good shout to go well and perhaps get DPP too.

So no Yeo!!

Hey ho lets go!!
For the Ramones fans out there.

I have changed team structure significantly and now I have gone for a 4 Premo defensive line.
Not too trusting in the rookies or even mid-pricers there any more.

Pretty standard 3 premo mid with a few MPP’s. And only one rookie onfield.

Then a standard premo ruck line with loop hole.

And thats where i will stop talking up my team.

Because it is Dunkley and poverty picks up FWD. Most should play. Hopefully. But I can see this risk blowing up by round 4.
Standard rookies with a few onfield.
But have to pass on Rozee, Tarranto, Gulden even D.Cameron I cant fit in.

But hey. Risk it for the biscuit.
Friday night Team announcements will probably have me scrambling round for cash.
Might just change my team name to
“BankruptByInsolvency”

Good luck everyone this year in MPM league.

I've just had to get Will Day in for Yeo, it just feels right :p

JuddgementDAY!!!

GL everyone for the season.
I'm still sticking with 10 MPM - so, MPM all the way baby!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch on Ryan Byrnes this weekend.

262k mid/forward who scored 92 playing half back. 27 disposals. Average to poor efficiency but most meters gained so some good signs. Webster injured too, good for JS and role.

May be an inexpensive option for those keeping Liam Jones if he fails again with a DPP swing. Ashcroft isn’t locked in either, and lots of Bruhn & Hopper owners are on the look out.

Watch carefully.

Watch on Ryan Byrnes this weekend.

262k mid/forward who scored 92 playing half back. 27 disposals. Average to poor efficiency but most meters gained so some good signs. Webster injured too, good for JS and role.

May be an inexpensive option for those keeping Liam Jones if he fails again with a DPP swing. Ashcroft isn’t locked in either, and lots of Bruhn & Hopper owners are on the look out.

Watch carefully.
Ooh that sounds like an interesting potential Flanders replacement

Ended up starting 4 midpricers plus Gulden. Jones and Flanders have already departed and Hopper probably goes next week. Flanders corrected to Sheezel and Jones to Ed Richards. Ed had 16 intercepts last week, 3 were were marks and 13 were ground ball gets. Pity about the 59% DE.

Callaghan is staying for a while though. Only had one CBA but a good user of the ball.

Had both Fyfe and Bruhn in my team on Friday morning but downgraded both to free up cash for a potential Hopper to Rioli/Daicos switch. Sometimes the SC gods smile on you!

Also looking at Kane Farrell. 403k mid.
Played defender role - most kick outs for Port. 21 disposals good efficiency to get 100. A repeatable score I’d think. The interest would be because of him likely getting DPP in round 6 if this role were to continue.
Career average of 91 in the small sample size of games he gets 20+ disposals in - obviously needs the role change to boost the disposals, but with that role change there 20 disposals is much easier for him.

For me the watch will be 1) role and 2) TOG%. At only 79% he may be limited in going the 95+ role needed to be a value defender keeper. However if he gets 7-8 kick outs, that’s a much easier path to 20 disposals and a decent average.

B.Campbell is my only mid-pricer in the 250-450k bracket. In the past id usually have at least 4 or 5. Its strange that my team ended up being mostly guns n rookies given my affinity for mid-priced madness but also the fact i rated quite a few mid-pricers this season. Yeo and Bowes being out forced a shuffle though and i was mostly keen to fade Hopper, although i did think he was a reliable 90/95 which is why he was in a fair few of my plan teams.

The mid-pricers i liked were mostly in the forwardline - Windhager, Flanders & Bruhn were the main 3 but i couldnt find a combination that worked and ended up getting rid of all of them. If the mid-pricers range is say 220-480k then i have Callaghan, De Goey & Gulden, but i dont really consider Gulden or JDG as mid-pricers. I suppose JDG could fit in the mid-pricer category given he is a midfielder.

Anyway, so far most popular mid-pricers have flopped so im happy with my team but it just feels wrong that outside of my POD Campbell, there arent any mid-pricers im routing for. Definitely unprecedented times for 'Tom's Terminators'

B.Campbell is my only mid-pricer in the 250-450k bracket. In the past id usually have at least 4 or 5. Its strange that my team ended up being mostly guns n rookies given my affinity for mid-priced madness but also the fact i rated quite a few mid-pricers this season. Yeo and Bowes being out forced a shuffle though and i was mostly keen to fade Hopper, although i did think he was a reliable 90/95 which is why he was in a fair few of my plan teams.

The mid-pricers i liked were mostly in the forwardline - Windhager, Flanders & Bruhn were the main 3 but i couldnt find a combination that worked and ended up getting rid of all of them. If the mid-pricers range is say 220-480k then i have Callaghan, De Goey & Gulden, but i dont really consider Gulden or JDG as mid-pricers. I suppose JDG could fit in the mid-pricer category given he is a midfielder.

Anyway, so far most popular mid-pricers have flopped so im happy with my team but it just feels wrong that outside of my POD Campbell, there arent any mid-pricers im routing for. Definitely unprecedented times for 'Tom's Terminators'
Callaghan will prove you wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy 2023 Midpricers Madness

Remove this Banner Ad

Back