MRP / Trib. 2023 - MRO Chook Lotto - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm shocked to be sitting here. I actually think it was careless and if they are stopping everything head high then 200 incidents would happen a week. I'm all for protecting the head but this was something my 8 year old would have gotten up from and laughed about it.

Yeah, I get what they're doing with head high contact but this was just a free kick. Fine at most.

Do we understand why it was classed as medium impact? Has Sheezel had some late onset symptoms of concern, or is this one of the "potential to cause serious injury" situations?

I'm resigned to the fact that our boys will be going for anything possibly even remotely closely scrutinised - payback from last year. Its the way this organisation operates. We'll appeal - no doubt - but it won't change a flowering thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I played in a different era, acts like that were non free kicks

But, somewhere, the line needs to be drawn, no matter the level of force
So you're not storming AFL headquarters with the rest of us?

Thy has requested that we leave the umpires department untouched as apparently "it wasn't their fault and they have no impact on this sort of thing".

If Lynch gets off and H gets suspended it will officially be a farce.
If the AFL had paid proper attention to Lynch over his career, he'd have a list of reports and suspensions as long as Rhys-Jones (although acts not as bad/violent).

Always thought Lynch was a grade-A sniper in disguise...

If the AFL had paid proper attention to Lynch over his career, he'd have a list of reports and suspensions as long as Rhys-Jones (although acts not as bad/violent).

Always thought Lynch was a grade-A sniper in disguise...
Ol' mate Christian adjudicated that this didn't warrant a striking charge despite driving Witherden's head into the turf - no suspension....

edit - just for context, Lynch was offered a $500 fine for this - as compared to TDK being offered $3,000 for raising his knee in a ruck contest

Last edited:
Do we understand why it was classed as medium impact? Has Sheezel had some late onset symptoms of concern, or is this one of the "potential to cause serious injury" situations?
It actually comes under the lesser known "potential to rub out a Carlton player" clause.

Warning : rant to follow.

Does MC ever miss an opportunity to nab one of our guys? It feels like many other incidents across the afl that are 50/50 end up without suspensions, but ours almost always manage to "make the grade".

And before anyone screams Carlton victimisation conspiracy (which I concede can be a real thing on this board) - be reminded this system is decided by one guy - an ex Collingwood player. Also be reminded that subconscious bias is a very strong, proven scientific principle.

Scientific experiments wouldn't need to be double/ triple blind in order to pass peer review and be taken seriously if we didn't already know for a fact that humans are incapable of true impartiality even when they try.

The afl seems to be clueless about this principle though, so rather than doing the common sense thing of using a panel of individuals with varying backgrounds, skills and allegiances in order to make fair decisions that have the highest chance of eliminating said biases, we instead continue with this one man farce.

Last edited:
It actually comes under the lesser known "potential to rub out a Carlton player" clause.

Warning : rant to follow.

Does MC ever miss an opportunity to nab one of our guys? It feels like many other incidents across the afl that are 50/50 end up without suspensions, but ours almost always manage to "make the grade".

And before anyone screams Carlton victimisation conspiracy (which I concede can be a real thing on this board) - be reminded this system is decided by one guy - an ex Collingwood player. Also be reminded that subconscious bias is a very strong, proven scientific principle.

Scientific experiments wouldn't need to be double/ triple blind in order to pass peer review and be taken seriously if we didn't already know for a fact that humans are incapable of true impartiality even when they try.

The afl seems to be clueless about this principle though, so rather than doing the common sense thing of using a panel of individuals with varying backgrounds, skills and allegiances in order to make fair decisions that have the highest chance of eliminating said biases, we instead continue with this one man farce.
I posted the same thing earlier, just a lot less eloquently!

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree.

They are trying to eliminate head high hits.

Part of their response to the concussion lawsuit.

Harry suspension will stand, even if it's not technically correct
They may have downgraded from intentional based on the imagery we’ve seen showing Harry’s first impact to the shoulder of sheezel.

His forearms slid up from shoulders to sheezels head - he also had his eyes closed at time of impact.

So careless.

Leaves the door open to argue low impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back