MRP / Trib. 2023 - MRO Chook Lotto - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funny.. almost as though the club knows we're getting some dubious and inconsistent MRO decisions this year and will seek to continue challenging when it smells a bit off... it's like an "up yours" ping pong game between us and the AFL...

"Cripps free to play" => up yours by Carlton
"Acres sighted and enforced by tribunal" => up yours x 2 by the AFL
"McKay sighted" => up yours again by AFL
"McKay off" => take that up yours AFL and multiply it (Carlton)
"Motlop sighted" => multiply this Blues....
"Newman sighted" => you wanna keep playing Blues???

Odds of getting off this are pretty damn low.

AFL precedent might prop up the odds somewhat.

I don't think Newman should get off. This is the exact kind of thing the AFL should be stamping out; deliberate, pre-meditated off-the-ball contact. Maybe Newman wasn't trying to get him on the chin, but that shouldn't matter.

It's so weird, off-the-ball a player can argue that they were trying to hit their opponent in the chest and accidentally hit them in the head. AFL says OK. But if you're going for the ball/tackle and you make high contact you're suspended for weeks. Such a stupid dichotomy.

Having said that, the AFL set themselves up for an appeal here based on Charlie Ballard getting off for something similar early this year. If anything, Ballard's was worse as he was looking at his opponent, whereas Neale is possibly out of Newman's eyeline. I think Tom Lynch got off for an errant, similar-ish high elbow last year too (one of about ~6,472 dirty acts Lynch has been given a hall pass for over his career).

AFL precedent might prop up the odds somewhat.

I don't think Newman should get off. This is the exact kind of thing the AFL should be stamping out; deliberate, pre-meditated off-the-ball contact. Maybe Newman wasn't trying to get him on the chin, but that shouldn't matter.

It's so weird, off-the-ball a player can argue that they were trying to hit their opponent in the chest and accidentally hit them in the head. AFL says OK. But if you're going for the ball/tackle and you make high contact you're suspended for weeks. Such a stupid dichotomy.

Having said that, the AFL set themselves up for an appeal here based on Charlie Ballard getting off for something similar early this year. If anything, Ballard's was worse as he was looking at his opponent, whereas Neale is possibly out of Newman's eyeline. I think Tom Lynch got off for an errant, similar-ish high elbow last year too (one of about ~6,472 dirty acts Lynch has been given a hall pass for over his career).

And Andrews' shoulder to Big H's eye that saw Big H bloodied and off the field for some time, with stitches?

Last edited:
Having said that, the AFL set themselves up for an appeal here based on Charlie Ballard getting off for something similar early this year. If anything, Ballard's was worse as he was looking at his opponent, whereas Neale is possibly out of Newman's eyeline.
What are the chances the tribunal members will come out up front at the hearing, and state something along the lines of "we will not be accepting any recent incidents as evidence to determine precedence for this case."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be interesting to see how many of ours Mr No Idea MRO has sanctioned and how many have been before the Tribunal.

Seems to be nearly every week JJ.

ferrisb are you up to researching the above ;)

This is everything I could find

1683526243622.png

14 cases heard by the tribunal league-wide, 3 from Carlton...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back