MRP / Trib. 2023 - MRO Chook Lotto - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those that think Cotts suspension is fair. Please tell what you thought he should do.

Someone runs into you with their head down and their body bent in half from the waist down.

Get out the way? Just throw your hands up in the air and do nothing?

Your opponent has the ball, you have to tackle them. There was no other option than to take him high.

Probably didn’t have to drag him down, but he couldn’t see if he had disposed of the ball or not. There was no slinging action.

Lesson number one from this. Don’t. Duck. Your. Head.

AFL players shouldn’t do it. It shouldn’t be rewarded. And we certainly should be teaching the kids not to duck their heads too.

If Long doesn’t duck he is tackled around the waist. Simple.

Probably not drop him head and neck first

If he was wearing wrestling boots Cotts would have had at least a solid 2 count there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lesson number one from this. Don’t. Duck. Your. Head.

AFL players shouldn’t do it. It shouldn’t be rewarded. And we certainly should be teaching the kids not to duck their heads too.
Honestly, if they're serious about protecting the head, ducking should be punished. You get a free against for ducking like long did and people will stop it pretty bloody quick.

Sure but I do think it was a dangerous action that if he landed the wrong way he could have broken his neck. I was there live so only just saw the footage and I kind of cringed when I saw the way he landed. The ball was free, he didn't need to go on with the tackle.
Maybe it's time to start penalising those making a mockery of the AFL's efforts to protect the head, rather than incentivising it.
Long's action put himself in harms way to "win" a free, perhaps a convo with Alex McKinnon would help a few realise just how idiotic their approach is..

Maybe it's time to start penalising those making a mockery of the AFL's efforts to protect the head, rather than incentivising it.
Long's action put himself in harms way to "win" a free, perhaps a convo with Alex McKinnon would help a few realise just how idiotic their approach is..
But it wasn't the duck and initial tackle that got him in trouble. It was the subsequent pile-driver into the ground

But it wasn't the duck and initial tackle that got him in trouble. It was the subsequent pile-driver into the ground
Does this happen if the opponent didn't duck, the answer is quite obviously no.
It wasn't a piledriver or any other term coined to fit in the world of Professional Wrestling, either. (Jon Ralph - is that you?)
My viewpoint remains that players will end up hurt because of the AFL's approach to incidents such as this, where they punish the person making but not creating the contact to the head &/or neck.

Just thinking of the Cottrell situation. First, when I saw the tackle I wondered if it would be looked at. I still think we should challenge. But the ducking should also be addressed. If a player chooses to deliberately initiate an action that leads to a bad outcome (and my recollection is that umpire said he'd ducked) then shouldn't they also be penalised, either with fines, or even a week's suspension if it leads to another player being suspended?

Edit - just thinking about ducking by players. I hate it. Don't think it's in the spirit of the game. So how about every time a player who initiates contact that is deemed ducking by on field umpire is automatically fined something like $1000. If player/club believes that wasn't the case, they can take it to the tribunal at no cost. But if they lose, they lose something like $5000 from soft cap (not a fine, just a reduction), and player fine is doubled. It might seem a little bit each time, but for serial duckers it would soon add up. I've really got little idea, but I F hate ducking...

Last edited:
Does this happen if the opponent didn't duck, the answer is quite obviously no.
It wasn't a piledriver or any other term coined to fit in the world of Professional Wrestling, either. (Jon Ralph - is that you?)
My viewpoint remains that players will end up hurt because of the AFL's approach to incidents such as this, where they punish the person making but not creating the contact to the head &/or neck.
I was watching a game at Lions den hotel there was a young bloke there and he was asked who his favourite player was he made a couple including Ginnivan and just commented that I hope you don’t play like him because you will get hurt you should of heard the vitriol I copped from the Collingwood supporters

Ginnivan will get hurt one day and he will wonder why

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've accepted the suspension.
0d5a2746.jpg

Resonable outcome considering the contact. Sad for Cotts but as others have pointed out Jar Jar could be a perfect (b)in.

He was always likely to receive a week as the AFL would want to ensure that tackle isn't replicated.
Anything more would be policing on a basis that something could have happened which ultimately did not - which is a slippery slope.

The funny thing is, by the rationale of some on here - Harry, Acres also deserved healthy stints on the sidelines.
After all, they also could have (but didn't) hurt or intend to hurt their opponent through clumsy actions.
I feel the narrative around this incident has made some view it as being much more sinister than it probably was.

It's disappointing for Cotters to miss when he showed a bit on the weekend, it does provide opportunity for someone else to step up, hopefully they can take advantage of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back