MRP / Trib. 2023 MRP Lotto

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFL: Do you agree you could've opened your arms rather than raising them in the manner you did?

McKay: No ... my only real option was to stretch my arms to hit his body and using my forearm gives me more surface area to hit his body.

AFL: Do you agree you could've opened your arms rather than raising them in the manner you did?

McKay: No ... my only real option was to stretch my arms to hit his body and using my forearm gives me more surface area to hit his body.
Wait what.
That literally does the opposite of what he's claiming, it's less surface area lmao.

McKay speaks​

McKay watches the incident in slow motion and talks us through it.

"I recall the ball leaving his hand and going towards his foot … my intention was to apply pressure and affect the kick," McKay said.

"My right arm, I'm trying to hit Sheezel's left arm to impact the direction of his kick.

"Impact to his arm or body will affect his balance and potentially turn the ball over for our team.

"I recall making initial contact with his left shoulder.

"I'm putting my hands up because I'm a little disappointed in myself for giving away what turned out to be a free kick. No intention to hit him high, so I'm remorseful for that."

McKay says he can't smother because he's not sure Sheezel will kick the ball until the last second.

He says he's not close enough to tackle and that the Blues are trained to use a forearm rather than a push because there's greater surface area to affect the kick.

AFL: Do you accept a combination of the momentum and raising of your arms risked forceful contact with his head?

McKay: When I was chasing and applying pressure there was never any intention to hit him anywhere else than the arm.

AFL: Do you agree you put your arms in the air because you realised you'd been careless and could've really hurt the player?

McKay: I was remorseful about giving away a potential free kick, which would hurt our team and which ended up happening.

This should be case closed. He had another option and it was to tackle.

Not lead with a forearm to a blokes neck/head

This charade should be over and the ban upheld based on this evidence.

The AFL’s own rules state that there must be no other alternative and in this case the alternative was to tackle. He chose to bump, push, whatever you want to call it and got it wrong, so bad luck.

Also there should be the magic phrase of you must go lower.

This will be in direct contradiction of everything they have preached in the past if they let him off.

Using the Ballard incident is also a joke. He was downgraded based on evidence that Essendon players came into block him. Sheezel had disposed of the ball, two very different incidents.

Also according to McKays evidence this should have been graded as a bump and not a strike. He tells them his aim was to bump Sheezel off his kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were plenty of alternatives and what he did had the potential to hurt his unprotected opponent. Maybe one of us here can try it on our good friend Whately and we can then see if McKay had an alternative.

Whats funnier, is everyone can see how absurd the argument is, people literally laughing at it.

And he's still probably going to be let off because the AFL knows how to secure an outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back