MRP / Trib. 2024 MRP Lotto thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it right, that the reason both appeals were successful was due to the tribunal not concluding their "guilty" verdict by stating, "...and your actions were likely to cause injury"?

Had that been stated, the appeals would have required a different reason to have been upheld.
Correct, hence the error of law verdict.

Ive said it once, i’ll say it again. Players aren’t doing enough to protect themselves in the contest.
True enough that players need to be aware and to take every possible action to protect themselves from bumps and tackles. Floppers and duckers must be suspended to wipe out the gutless acts of playing for frees. But when making tackles or bumps etc. the person who initiates the contact does have an obligation to do so within the rules and to act with enough care that they don't intentionally or carelessly cause injury or be likely to cause injury.

And the MRO, tribunal and appeals board must be agnostic regards the player being charged, tried and penalised. They must also apply the charges and set penalties that are legitimate and which will stand without risk of being overcome by points of law.

I wonder how many suspensions across all levels of football would be invalid if the tribunal conclusions were reviewed today?

The baffling part to me is that I would have expected this be redirected back to the tribunal with a note saying they didn't do their job fully, but instead it's just a get out of jail free card.
Agree. Legal loopholes should not be getting used in this way. Complete failure of the AFL.

Last edited:
A tackle is legal up until the point that someone gets injured (accidentally).
Then the rule book is thrown out the window and no matter how textbook your technique is, the AFL is going to fist you publicly.

One of the unusual things about the concussion discussion revolves around the whole "turn to protect yourself" concept. I find it interesting that the AFL has pursued a course that implies that only the party who comes off second best is the victim. ie. a scenario where 2 players are running straight at each other and the ball, one turns and protects themselves and the other leads with their head. Under OH&S law (at least in Victoria, national laws mostly followed Vic's lead on this with the WHS guidelines) your very first duty of care under the act is to yourself. There's an argument IMHO that the AFL should be encouraging with what measures they have players not to put themselves at risk.

One of the unusual things about the concussion discussion revolves around the whole "turn to protect yourself" concept. I find it interesting that the AFL has pursued a course that implies that only the party who comes off second best is the victim. ie. a scenario where 2 players are running straight at each other and the ball, one turns and protects themselves and the other leads with their head. Under OH&S law (at least in Victoria, national laws mostly followed Vic's lead on this with the WHS guidelines) your very first duty of care under the act is to yourself. There's an argument IMHO that the AFL should be encouraging with what measures they have players not to put themselves at risk.
I agree but its a fine line cos backing back into a pack or putting your head over the ball in a pack shows you aren't acting to protect yourself.

I agree but its a fine line cos backing back into a pack or putting your head over the ball in a pack shows you aren't acting to protect yourself.
Agree. It's not easy, but IMO in a contest where both parties have clear line of site to each other it's reasonable that both take steps to protect themselves as well as expecting the other party to do so. Backing into a contest is slightly different as you can argue who has more ability to judge the impact. I guess this is where I see an issue with players dropping heads and receiving contact - they should not be rewarded for doing so as their actions are not in line with the duty of care concept.

Not easy though, reality is that the game developed around the judicious application of intimidation and physicality - it will take time to evolve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's farcical.

In some of those comparisons the only difference is a cm or two due to luck.
It would genuinely be cleaner to just state that players who injure another player in a tackle will be getting a game penalty full stop.

The AFL should use some video footage of that boy *heppell from the *bombers attacking the odd contest or two, to use as a guide for players to protect themselves, especially when they hear steps coming from behind. If you know what I mean.

Geez, Laura Kane’s resume and experience is severely underwhelming.

On experience alone lots of eyebrows raised as to how on earth she has been named GM of football for the AFL.

Basically a law degree at VU and then was president of the Melbourne Uni women’s team.
Then Sonja got her a job at North in operations from mid 2016 to 2021 until she followed Brad to the AFL.

Out of all the experienced candidates for this role, is this really the best we’ve got?
Hasn’t played the game, lacks the top end experience to hold down a senior role and the biggest flaw of all, is a lawyer. They should have no place in this game. Same goes for Dillon.

If the AFL continue to stretch the product and legalities continue to impact the game, it won’t thrive as it has been.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. 2024 MRP Lotto thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back