Preview 2023 National Draft Preview Thread [currently: #2, #14 (PA), #19 (PP) #40, #52, #60]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to say something that heaps will disagree with but that's alright; in drafting Harley Reid, I don't think we need to look for a CHF/another tall forward.

The way I see forward key position posts in the future, I think height isn't necessarily as important as the ability to compete both in the air and when the ball hits the deck.

All of PC, Zurhaar, Reid, George and Ford are quite strong, athletic and can compete well in the air as well as when it hits the deck. We've got Comben and Larkey as the taller types, with Larkey more the focal point inside 50m.

I'd still be starting Reid off a back flank, but the option of being able to play him as a key forward is an ace up the sleeve.

I think we need to focus on filling the following positions:
  • Outside runners
  • Defenders of all shapes and sizes
  • Pressure forward
  • Ruck
In your opinion, who best suits/fills those positions in this draft Souup?

Going to say something that heaps will disagree with but that's alright; in drafting Harley Reid, I don't think we need to look for a CHF.

The way I see forward key position posts in the future, I think height isn't necessarily as important as the ability to compete both in the air and when the ball hits the deck.

All of PC, Zurhaar, Reid, George and Ford are quite strong, athletic and can compete well in the air as well as when it hits the deck. We've got Comben and Larkey as the taller types, with Larkey more the focal point inside 50m.

I'd still be starting Reid off a back flank, but the option of being able to play him as a key forward is an ace up the sleeve.
I don't disagree.

Viney was saying in the members questionnaire that you can play one key forward, referencing Richmond.

Their forward line in the 2017 grand final was...

HF: Lambert (178) - Martin (187) - Caddy (186)
FF: Butler (182) - Riewoldt (195) - Rioli (179)

I think that we could play...

HF: Ford/Thomas (189) - George (187) - Reid/Sheezel (185)
FF: Curtis (183) - Larkey (198) - Zurhaar (188)

Going to say something that heaps will disagree with but that's alright; in drafting Harley Reid, I don't think we need to look for a CHF/another tall forward.

• Outside runners
  • Pressure forward
  • Ruck

I totally agree.

I think there’s some that still see McKercher as the next best pick for us for this reason.

L

• Outside runners
  • Pressure forward
  • Ruck

As much as we have discussed how enticing it will be to have have Wardlaw and Reid in center squares together.

What’s probably been overlooked to this point is what having Brayden George and Harley Reid out of the goal square would be like together 😂

Just a ridiculous proposition.

• Outside runners
  • Pressure forward
  • Ruck

I agree, if Comben plays forward.

But, if he’s going to games with Clarko to focus on Darcy Moore then you’d suggest he might be going back for at least a short period of time.

I don't disagree.

Viney was saying in the members questionnaire that you can play one key forward, referencing Richmond.

Their forward line in the 2017 grand final was...

HF: Lambert (178) - Martin (187) - Caddy (186)
FF: Butler (182) - Riewoldt (195) - Rioli (179)

I think that we could play...

HF: Ford/Thomas (189) - George (187) - Reid/Sheezel (185)
FF: Curtis (183) - Larkey (198) - Zurhaar (188)
This was dependent on fast and accurate ball movement heading into their F50 though, which was fulfulled with guys like Cotchin, Ellis, Caddy who had good leg speed and sharp kicking. Phillips & Powell on the other hand...

This was dependent on fast and accurate ball movement heading into their F50 though, which was fulfulled with guys like Cotchin, Ellis, Caddy who had good leg speed and sharp kicking. Phillips & Powell on the other hand...
Why Phillips and Powell and not LDU, Wardlaw, Sanders, Reid, Thomas, Sheezel, McKercher?

Why Phillips and Powell and not LDU, Wardlaw, Sanders, Reid, Thomas, Sheezel, McKercher?
Because they specifically lack pace and at the moment, long range accurate kicking skills.

So many chain handballs through the middle this year have been hampered by one or two players slowing the play down and causing a turnover, a chain is only as strong / fast as its weakest link.

Usually the main offenders of this are guys like Xerri, Tucker, Howe, Taylor, etc. They however haven't cost us nearly as much in draft capital as Powell and Phillips have, these two will most likely still be here in the next few years and it'll be infuriating if we are forced to trade / draft EVEN MORE MIDS like Mckercher just to fill in these deficiencies.

In your opinion, who best suits/fills those positions in this draft Souup?

#1 - Reid
#2 - Watson (PF), Mckercher (OR), Curtis (KPD)
#16 - Ollie Murphy (200cm KPD), Darcy Wilson (185cm OR), Joel Freijah (191cm OR), Archie Roberts (184cm Def), James Leake (188cm Def), Caleb Windsor (185cm OR), Mitch Edwards (206cm Ruck)
#38 - Angus Hastie (189cm Def), Oscar Ryan (187cm Def), Nathan Philactides (181cm Def), Will Green (204cm Ruck), Taylor Goad (207cm Ruck), Will Lorenz (185cm OR), Kobe Shipp (187cm Def), Lachlan Charleson (176cm PF), Oliver Poole (183cm Def), Will Paton (193cm Def), Arie Shoenmaker (194cm Def)
#53 - Slider from #38

This isn't in order of preference at each selection, but I'd suggest our wish list might be something along these lines.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outside runners -
Defenders -
Ruck -
Pressure Fwd -

#1 - Reid
#2 - Watson (PF), Mckercher (OR)
#16 - Ollie Murphy (200cm KPD), Darcy Wilson (185cm OR), Joel Freijah (191cm OR), Archie Roberts (184cm Def), James Leake (188cm Def), Caleb Windsor (185cm OR), Mitch Edwards (206cm Ruck)
#38 - Angus Hastie (189cm Def), Oscar Ryan (187cm Def), Nathan Philactides (181cm Def), Will Green (204cm Ruck), Taylor Goad (207cm Ruck), Will Lorenz (185cm OR), Kobe Shipp (187cm Def), Lachlan Charleson (176cm PF), Oliver Poole (183cm Def)
#53 - Slider from #38
What is your overall opinion on the ruck stocks this year? Any diamonds in the rough?

What is your overall opinion on the ruck stocks this year? Any diamonds in the rough?

Joe Pike (203cm) from Geelong Falcons is the main one that comes to mind. Moves really well for a ruck and has been one of the better performing rucks in the Coates league over the course of the season. Can't imagine we'd need to spend more than a rookie selection on him.

Joe Pike (203cm) from Geelong Falcons is the main one that comes to mind. Moves really well for a ruck and has been one of the better performing rucks in the Coates league over the course of the season. Can't imagine we'd need to spend more than a rookie selection on him.
I recall our last Pike was handy enough, thank you
Edit: seems to have the linguistic skills of a ruck too:

• Outside runners
  • Pressure forward
  • Ruck
Agree with you, just one question - can you see Comben as a KPD with us?

#1 - Reid
#2 - Watson (PF), Mckercher (OR), Curtis (KPD)
#38 - Angus Hastie (189cm Def), Oscar Ryan (187cm Def), Nathan Philactides (181cm Def), Will Green (204cm Ruck), Taylor Goad (207cm Ruck), Will Lorenz (185cm OR), Kobe Shipp (187cm Def), Lachlan Charleson (176cm PF), Oliver Poole (183cm Def), Will Paton (193cm Def), Arie Shoenmaker (194cm Def)
#53 - Slider from #38

This isn't in order of preference at each selection, but I'd suggest our wish list might be something along these lines.
1 - Reid
2 - Watson
16 - Edwards
38 - Schoenmaker
NGA - Sanders

Please

#1 - Reid
#2 - Watson (PF), Mckercher (OR)
#53 - Slider from #38

Thanks Souup

I'm definitely keen on Reid and Watson (been my preferences for needs based), and the footy circles I mix in here in Tassie, say we're very "focused" on Leake....... but as you know, we're still a very long way out for things to tighten up just yet, plenty of variables can come into play, things change week to week.

Thanks Souup

I'm definitely keen on Reid and Watson (been my preferences for needs based), and the footy circles I mix in here in Tassie, say we're very "focused" on Leake....... but as you know, we're still a very long way out for things to tighten up just yet, plenty of variables can come into play, things change week to week.
Watson and Reid would certainly bring a lot of attitude

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back