Preview 2023 National Draft Preview Thread [currently: #2, #14 (PA), #19 (PP) #40, #52, #60]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not how I recall Richmond playing.
Accurate probably wasn't the right word, but still, at least their forwards weren't forced to spoil an intercept mark every second entry because their defenders and mids were too slow to transition from D50 due to lack of pace, acceleration and / or poor disposal.

In order to achieve this we will likely need to continue using top picks drafting even more mids like Mckercher which is exactly what I don't want (Watson would be so much better).

I totally agree.

I think there’s some that still see McKercher as the next best pick for us for this reason.
My preferred top four based more on needs, rather than pure best talent, would be:

Reid (Utility)
Mckercher (Pace: HB/Wing/Mid)
Watson (small forward)
Curtin (kpd, utility)

Sanders preselection

Take Archie Reid or Schoenmaker with the port pick.

Last edited:

#1 - Reid
#2 - Watson (PF), Mckercher (OR), Curtis (KPD)
#16 - Ollie Murphy (200cm KPD), Darcy Wilson (185cm OR), Joel Freijah (191cm OR), Archie Roberts (184cm Def), James Leake (188cm Def), Caleb Windsor (185cm OR), Mitch Edwards (206cm Ruck)
#38 - Angus Hastie (189cm Def), Oscar Ryan (187cm Def), Nathan Philactides (181cm Def), Will Green (204cm Ruck), Taylor Goad (207cm Ruck), Will Lorenz (185cm OR), Kobe Shipp (187cm Def), Lachlan Charleson (176cm PF), Oliver Poole (183cm Def), Will Paton (193cm Def), Arie Shoenmaker (194cm Def)
#53 - Slider from #38

This isn't in order of preference at each selection, but I'd suggest our wish list might be something along these lines.

Santa Claus
No.1 Frosty st.
North Pole 8445

R.S.V.P. 4.11.23
North Melbourne Football Club
Arden st.
North Melbourne VIC 3051
Australia

I don’t get the obsession with taking Curtin that high in the draft.

Someone please point out all the gun key defenders who have been taken at the top of the draft. Jacob Weitering is the only good one I can think of and in hindsight everyone would rather have Oliver and Curnow ahead of him at the very least. Yes it is a list concern for us but please take the best available player at pick 2 and address key defenders later in the draft or via free agency.

People talk about it being risky to take a small forward that early but key defenders simply don’t go that high either and I would argue are even riskier to project as prospects.
Well personally think it’s changed now that we’re sitting with pick 1. The thinking probably more in line with calling wce bluff in the price to trade up for #1

What’s this about Gary Lyon meeting with Harley Reid on the weekend prior to the Weagles result.

Potentially as a way of driving the Melbourne option to him and his management if West Coast had the #1 pick.

Shame.

Ha ha Ralph made him squirm.

I really like Ralphy at this time of the year.

Going to say something that heaps will disagree with but that's alright; in drafting Harley Reid, I don't think we need to look for a CHF/another tall forward.

The way I see forward key position posts in the future, I think height isn't necessarily as important as the ability to compete both in the air and when the ball hits the deck.

All of PC, Zurhaar, Reid, George and Ford are quite strong, athletic and can compete well in the air as well as when it hits the deck. We've got Comben and Larkey as the taller types, with Larkey more the focal point inside 50m.

I'd still be starting Reid off a back flank, but the option of being able to play him as a key forward is an ace up the sleeve.

I think we need to focus on filling the following positions:
  • Outside runners
  • Defenders of all shapes and sizes
  • Pressure forward
  • Ruck
Agree, Collingwood has done pretty well with a 'smaller' forward setup.

From the WCE board:

26CB5A5B-253A-4357-A617-7E30E452FE4E.jpeg

Hot Fuzz Shame GIF

My preferred top four based more on needs, rather than pure best talent, would be:

Reid (Utility)
Mckercher (Pace: HB/Wing/Mid)
Watson (small forward)
Curtin (kpd, utility)

Sanders preselection

Take Archie Reid or Schoenmaker with the port pick.

I think if the AFL hands us Sanders the Tasmanian link with McKercher will be hard to pass up but Curtin has seemingly jumped up the board. Band 1 if McKay goes is game changing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I totally agree.

I think there’s some that still see McKercher as the next best pick for us for this reason.
That interview Twomey did with Sanders. I just get the feeling he knew something there. Spoke at length about the way he and McKercher fed off each other in the champs and said more than once hopefully we can play together at the same afl club.

I think if the AFL hands us Sanders the Tasmanian link with McKercher will be hard to pass up but Curtin has seemingly jumped up the board. Band 1 if McKay goes is game changing.
I just love Mckercher’s pace and versatility.

I just love Mckercher’s pace and versatility.

I’m on record. I also agree with the Watson fans but that feels more tradable.

Reid, Kerch and Sanders were the genuine studs of rep games. Try to add to that.

People are overthinking this.

We need KPP stocks.
The best available KPP in this year's draft class, who is ready-made to contribute from week 1 2024, might have fallen in to our lap.

I like McKercher and Watson too, but Curtin is the obvious choice if we also have Pick 2.

Really? Jarred his knee? Like seriously? Destined as North player now....

But in the second, when looking to fend off an opponent, the explosive midfielder jarred his knee, took off his headband and sat out the rest of the game. He wasn't to know then how the next four hours would likely seal his draft fate
After he found out weagles won
All That Running GIF by Nickelodeon

We need KPP stocks.
The best available KPP in this year's draft class, who is ready-made to contribute from week 1 2024, might have fallen in to our lap.

I like McKercher and Watson too, but Curtin is the obvious choice if we also have Pick 2.
Not to deliberately throw a spanner at this but isn't he hugely versatile? What are the chances that we'd remain patient with him as we try to make a KPD out of him instead of say throwing him into the midfield or forward line as a Mr Fix It type? Feels like O'Sullivan would be a more logical pick, but our picks don't align with where he'd be chosen

What's Schoenmaker like? Thinking about the port pick. He fits a profile I just searched against but haven't seen him play.
Good long kick, moves well for his size, definitely worth a look with a later pick imo.

Can the AFL effectivly force a trade on Tasmanian players when the tassie side comes in? I'd hate for us to have our development stall right when we need it to fire.
I'd imagine that would entail a whole raft of legal problems. Can't see the AFL doing that.

We need KPP stocks.

Recruiters don't usually go needs based with high picks, they take the best talent. If Curtin is the best talent then they may take him but I wouldn't say he's the obvious choice given he may be determined a flight risk. Especially if DGB and Brockman head back to WA from Hawks (they are OOC I believe and Mitchell seemed to indicate homesickness on SEN) in the trade period then we might get spooked about taking a WA kid with such a high pick.
There is O'Sullivan, Ollie Murphy at the Port 1st potentially and Shoenmaker as well other options later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back