Preview 2023 National Draft Preview Thread [currently: #2, #14 (PA), #19 (PP) #40, #52, #60]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think you’re a bit delusional if you think Rohan and Brady aren’t already having these conversations.

Ultimately 2, 14 and one of the PPs will get it done, with something coming back to us in the second round.

Bit more then we’d like to pay, bit less then you’d like, but end of the day both clubs and players get what they want.

We've been saying 2 and port for about 2 months.

Due to recent developments, where the AFL has chosen to funnel their assistance to the struggling interstate clubs through us, (generous on our part) the offers been upped to include an F19.

Yeah coz a list manager is just gonna show his hand on Gettable. Of course he says that

He literally laughed at the idea of two top 10’s being enough and told Cal to keep going when he said 3, obviously he’s not going to reveal his plans to the public but it is blatantly obvious how much they rate Reid and that has been confirmed by Ryan Daniels who is the clubs best source. I don’t know where you guys have gotten this idea that West Coast aren’t big on Reid from but you guys are grossly misinformed. I presumed you all fell for the Ralph articles about us loving Dan Curtin.

He literally laughed at the idea of two top 10’s being enough and told Cal to keep going when he said 3, obviously he’s not going to reveal his plans to the public but it is blatantly obvious how much they rate Reid and that has been confirmed by Ryan Daniels who is the clubs best source. I don’t know where you guys have gotten this idea that West Coast aren’t big on Reid from but you guys are grossly misinformed. I presumed you all fell for the Ralph articles about us loving Dan Curtin.

We'll have JHF to thank for this one.

We drafted the kid, knowing his a shit stain, but that it will lead to Reid.

Lol, so you think WC would give up pick 1 and a 2nd rounder for 14 which will be 20 and a mid twenties pick next year? You guys aren’t even trying to be rational here. If we offered you that if you had pick 1, you guys would rightfully melt.
If the #1 prospect was a Perth local and a flight risk the offer we are projecting I'd see as fair

Lol, so you think WC would give up pick 1 and a 2nd rounder for 14 which will be 20 and a mid twenties pick next year? You guys aren’t even trying to be rational here. If we offered you that if you had pick 1, you guys would rightfully melt.
I think that 1, 2 & 14 will be the crux of the deal. The other picks are just to massage it.

What most (not all) of your mob fail to realise, is the context of this. I’ll explain it to you once and once only:

• Reid does not want to leave Victoria
  • Reid’s management group Connors, are experts at ensuring their top end drafted players get where they want to go
  • WCE love Curtin
  • Curtin does not want to leave WA
  • WCE want another year of multiple first round picks
  • Rohan and Brady have a very positive relationship and have shown as recently as last year how they will work together (accepting slightly less then supporter groups would probably like) to get a mutually beneficial outcome

A list manager isn't going to say "yeah that's about the right price" or "na that's probably overpaying for him" on a podcast. At the trade table you start high, other team offers low, and you meet in the middle.

I've said all along that WC are into Reid and would take him at pick 1. However, WC fans think the club won't give him up for anything less than pick 2 3 and a future first and that's hilarious to me. If a trade goes through I can't wait to see the melts from WC fans

If the #1 prospect was a Perth local and a flight risk the offer we are projecting I'd see as fair

But he’s not a flight risk, how many times does he, his agent, coach and Twomey have to tell you guys that?

You guys are basing this on a McClure report which he backtracked on a day after on national TV after Reid’s camp came out and quashed all rumours and even spoke with our club to confirm that it wasn’t true.

The bit where you said "aren't big on Reid"

We wouldn't be having this conversation if JHF didn't set the scene for #1's to make clubs nervous.

Except we wouldn’t be nervous, it’ll be a 3 year deal for him now and West Coast have the best retention rate in the competition.

But he’s not a flight risk, how many times does he, his agent, coach and Twomey have to tell you guys that?

You guys are basing this on a McClure report which he backtracked on a day after on national TV after Reid’s camp came out and quashed all rumours and even spoke with our club to confirm that it wasn’t true.
No I’m basing it on the fact that Harley & Paul Connors has told everyone that will listen that he doesn’t want to leave Victoria

I think that 1, 2 & 14 will be the crux of the deal. The other picks are just to massage it.

What most (not all) of your mob fail to realise, is the context of this. I’ll explain it to you once and once only:

• Reid does not want to leave Victoria
  • Reid’s management group Connors, are experts at ensuring their top end drafted players get where they want to go
  • WCE love Curtin
  • Curtin does not want to leave WA
  • WCE want another year of multiple first round picks
  • Rohan and Brady have a very positive relationship and have shown as recently as last year how they will work together (accepting slightly less then supporter groups would probably like) to get a mutually beneficial outcome

This is hilarious because you’ve just blatantly told about 5 lies.

1. Reid has never said he doesn’t want to leave Victoria, in fact he shut that down, as did his manager, as did Twomey, as did his coach. You’re basing this on McClures report from months ago which he literally back tracked on a day after on national TV after Reid’s camp quashed those rumours instantly. Also, Reid’s agent spoke with our list manager that day as well to confirm that story was garbage.

2. Curtin has lived in several different places outside of WA, he has no issue with leaving the state, again are you just basing this on him being from WA? Did JHF scar you that badly?

3. Where has that ever been said? We split pick 2 last year because there were two WA guns in our sight and no stand out talent at 2 bar Sheezel who wasn’t the type of player we really needed and then Wardlaw who has hamstrings made out of paper.

4. I never said our clubs don’t have a solid relationship, but that doesn’t mean we’ll trade pick 1 to you just for the sake of it.

5. You guys seem to think we HAVE to trade pick 1, yet you can’t even a single logical reason why we should other than sprouting nonsense like “Reid doesn’t want to leave Victoria” when that has been shut down repeatedly.

6. We have McGovern for 2 more years, Barrass is staying, we have Bazzo and H.Edwards coming through, we’ll likely be keeping tabs on Busslinger as well, we have little to no need for Curtin.

No I’m basing it on the fact that Harley & Paul Connors has told everyone that will listen that he doesn’t want to leave Victoria

Lol, then why has Reid said he’s happy to go anywhere, why has Twomey said the same thing, why has Reid’s coach said the same thing and why did Paul Connors shut that talk down as soon as McClure broke the story, why did Connors also speak with our list manager to confirm it wasn’t true?

Again, I’m sorry but you’re stating these things like they are facts when they’ve been shut down already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol, then why has Reid said he’s happy to go anywhere, why has Twomey said the same thing, why has Reid’s coach said the same thing and why did Paul Connors shut that talk down as soon as McClure broke the story, why did Connors also speak with our list manager to confirm it wasn’t true?

Again, I’m sorry but you’re stating these things like they are facts when they’ve been shut down already.

The only reason you end up trading Reid is if point 1. is correct.

Draft picks wont be the reason.

Only time will tell.

You know where to find Psicosis if it does go through.

The only reason you end up trading Reid is if point 1. Is correct.

Draft picks wint be the reason.

Only time will tell.

You know where to find Psicosis if it does go through.

And I agree, if Reid kicks up a fuss and says he won’t come here then a deal will be done, but there have been zero signs he’ll do that and Twomey who knows Reid and who is definitely the best connected person draft wise has stated several times Reid is happy to go anywhere.

West Coast have lost one player that they didn’t want to in the last 20 odd years and that was Judd, we still ended up winning that trade as well. Our retention rate is almost flawless.

I genuinely am sorry for you guys about JHF being an entitled brat, I mean that sincerely. I can see that it has definitely rattled you guys a lot when it comes to discussing clubs drafting interstate players, but the reality is most of them stay rather than leave, especially at West Coast.

Its funny how often I've heard this clip used by Eagles fans as definitive proof that it would take 3+ top 10 picks to get Reid. As if O'brien proudly shut down the idea.

I'd also like to point out two things:
  • when someone refers to a "top 10 pick" they usually aren't implying pick 2
  • pick 2 is probably worth two top 10 picks, itself, if they are around 8-10
  • there is no world where any list manager with half a brain would set boundaries on a trade by saying "yes, we only want two top 10 picks" on a podcast

Has Reid said that though?

All I know is from this interview at 23:30 when he is asked about moving out of VIC and avoids the question and says "I'm family orientated". That's opposed to someone like Mckercher that said they can't wait to move. Can't always look too much into it but it is somewhat of a red flag and probably more of an indication than a manager who is always going to publicly state he'll go anywhere.

Has Reid said that though?

All I know is from this interview at 23:30 when he is asked about moving out of VIC and avoids the question and says "I'm family orientated". That's opposed to someone like Mckercher that said they can't wait to move. Can't always look too much into it but it is somewhat of a red flag and probably more of an indication than a manager who is always going to publicly state he'll go anywhere.

Yes he has said that in an interview when he landed in WA for the state game, he was treated like a rockstar when he arrived which I thought was hilarious. Hundreds of WC fans rocked up to the state game and Reid signed all their stuff, he also spoke with Tom Cole and toured our facilities (as did the other Vic Country boys).

This is hilarious because you’ve just blatantly told about 5 lies.

1. Reid has never said he doesn’t want to leave Victoria, in fact he shut that down, as did his manager, as did Twomey, as did his coach. You’re basing this on McClures report from months ago which he literally back tracked on a day after on national TV after Reid’s camp quashed those rumours instantly. Also, Reid’s agent spoke with our list manager that day as well to confirm that story was garbage.

2. Curtin has lived in several different places outside of WA, he has no issue with leaving the state, again are you just basing this on him being from WA? Did JHF scar you that badly?

3. Where has that ever been said? We split pick 2 last year because there were two WA guns in our sight and no stand out talent at 2 bar Sheezel who wasn’t the type of player we really needed and then Wardlaw who has hamstrings made out of paper.

4. I never said our clubs don’t have a solid relationship, but that doesn’t mean we’ll trade pick 1 to you just for the sake of it.

5. You guys seem to think we HAVE to trade pick 1, yet you can’t even a single logical reason why we should other than sprouting nonsense like “Reid doesn’t want to leave Victoria” when that has been shut down repeatedly.

6. We have McGovern for 2 more years, Barrass is staying, we have Bazzo and H.Edwards coming through, we’ll likely be keeping tabs on Busslinger as well, we have little to no need for Curtin.
Reid has never said it publicly, correct. I never said he said it publicly. I said he and his manager have said it, which they absolutely have I can tell you that for a fact.

Good luck to you if you’re going to cling to that PR campaign. You love Gettable interviews. Would take someone in serious denial to listen to Harley & Connors Gettable interviews when asked about leaving Victoria/going to WCE and not cringe when Harley immediately flagged “close with my family” and Connors immediately deflected to “the draft order can change”. Even if you don’t want to believe my “mail”, the evidence is clear as f*kn day right in front of you, you just don’t want to hear it.

McClure backtracked because he got whacked by Connors for running with it. You realise McClure and Connors have a very close personal affiliation through Old Xavs, don’t you?

Take your delusional s*** back to your own board.

when someone refers to a "top 10 pick" they usually aren't implying pick 2
This. I almost see every WC fan overlooking this fact. It's not just a top 10 pick or a first rounder, it's pick 2, 1 spot down. When people refer to the godfather offer that we were getting for JHF none were close to pick 2.

If we offered pick 2, 14 and future 1st PP, that is a godfather offer. I can't even think of an established player getting offered that much in a trade.

Last edited:
Yes he has said that in an interview when he landed in WA for the state game, he was treated like a rockstar when he arrived which I thought was hilarious. Hundreds of WC fans rocked up to the state game and Reid signed all their stuff, he also spoke with Tom Cole and toured our facilities (as did the other Vic Country boys).
Lol he isn't going to tell WA media that he doesn't want to leave VIC when WC hold pick 1??

And I agree, if Reid kicks up a fuss and says he won’t come here then a deal will be done, but there have been zero signs he’ll do that and Twomey who knows Reid and who is definitely the best connected person draft wise has stated several times Reid is happy to go anywhere.

West Coast have lost one player that they didn’t want to in the last 20 odd years and that was Judd, we still ended up winning that trade as well. Our retention rate is almost flawless.

I genuinely am sorry for you guys about JHF being an entitled brat, I mean that sincerely. I can see that it has definitely rattled you guys a lot when it comes to discussing clubs drafting interstate players, but the reality is most of them stay rather than leave, especially at West Coast.

We're in a far greater position going in to this draft than the JHF one. North needed their big name with jhf, doesn't have the same feel now though.

No one is going to lose much sleep either way, worst case we hit it with 2,3,14,19, and that's before trading out F19, F20 to improve those picks.

Jhf was a ****ing dick, to be frank, it's been nice watching other clubs fans acknowledge that throughout the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back