Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Live look into the Carlton NMFC draft war room.

F_W6resbQAA-TDY
Sheeze is everywhere.

Twomey has Caddy at 9 and O'Sullivan at 10 amongst non-academy players/the open draft. So if we get 6&11, there's a chance we miss out on both and have to pluck one from the next tier. Not a huge fan of that prospect

Last edited:
My last player profile is up. Big thanks to everyone for watching this season and making content creation so enjoyable.

I'd be all in on Caddy if it wasn't for who his uncle is. Complete knob and apparently was one of the party boys at Geelong, who did not help them much before he headed off to the tigers.

One last conspiracy theory for the silly season, but in no universe would our recruiting team still be deciding with an hour to go before the draft.

However, having the narrative be that we were tossing and turning on Curtin at pick 3 up until the last minute, helps sell the supporter base on trading out our future first to take him at 7.

All these North supporters on BF who are super eager to overpay for a late top 10 pick to recruit Curtin by burning our F1 are doing my head in. Kool Kangas is leading the charge by repeating this wish about a dozen times per day, but there are plenty of others. I contemplated giving every one of those posts a thumbs down, but that's not really Kocher and I probably would have broken the icon. Perhaps there is a valid reason why the clubs with a top 10 pick aren't overly keen to pick Curtin. A Jack of all trades, but a master of none is not necessarily desirable for clubs, if that is how Curtin is viewed. Personally I'd rather have O'Sullivan who is a definite KPD.

I don't see a projected mid heavy top end of the 2024 draft as a valid reason to get rid of what is more likely than not a top 3 pick now. It is like kids in a candy store wanting to spend all their money to get as many lollies as they can now instead of keeping some money to buy more later. Over the course of next season there will be new young talents to emerge and some that are currently highly rated will fall away. That is what happens every year, so you can't predict with any certainty that there won't be a number of KPFs or KPDs in the top 10 next year.

We have 5 first round picks this year, which we'll never have again. We should make the most of those and be happy with how these players will help to make us competitive and relevant again. Next year I have little doubt that almost everyone will be pleased that we still have our first round pick to get another elite young talent into the club. If it is a high pick we could even trade down to get two first round picks if that still allows us to get who we want. I'm looking forward to tonight to open our Christmas presents early.

Jimmy Fallon Thank You GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I would never back one of my hunches, because they are invariably wrong, but.

I just have this nagging feeling that West Coast, may still look to trade Pick 1 for multiple picks this year, in which case they might still talk to us about one of those deals they have previously rejected.

I know that they are trying to improve their hand by trading next years 1st Rounder to be in a position to take Curtin as well as Reid, but realistically, if they really want him, either Pick 2 or Pick 3 plus two of 15, 17 and 18, plus say 23 or their second rounder next year back to us, gives them Curtin plus two pretty good picks this year, plus they retain their first Rounder next year, who on balance of probability will be pick 1. They can't be guaranteed otherwise.

We may not be in Pole position, but I just have this feeling something big might happen tonight.

Yep, not often I'm right and I'm sure to be wrong this time. Oh well.

Anyone and everyone feel free to remind me of this tonight, Thanks in nadvance
I like Harley but if that happened BIGFOOTY would crash again! Though, I think your right, something big is going to happen in the first 12 selections and it won't be 1 trade of picks either!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Case point 1, the rule regarding bringing in picks for list spots is the most circumvented rule ever.

GC just generate an additional 6 picks in the first minute of the draft
Rule should be that you can’t have more picks that spots available at any time

It’s legitimate concerns.

What bends you out of shapes are comments like “draw a line in the sand” “send a message” “make a statement of intent”

All of it is cheap talk.

The team hasn’t improved one bit in the last 4 years and most neutrals may argue we could get worse next year with the loss of senior players.

Until we show improvement, we shouldn’t be trading it.
Many wanted to trade our future first for a crack at DGB, well it would have cost us JHF.

Then it was Gibcus, who would have cost us Wardlaw.

Then it was Phillipou, who would have cost us McKercher.

The extra year of development is a load of wank, it only applies if the players are of similar ability and in each of those examples, they are nowhere near it
All valid sphynx ol boy. I still think its great topic of discussion and sometimes think its an option worth exploring. It's a good thing none of us have any actual say on what happens on draft night though hey? ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back