Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Daicos looks obvious in hindsight and so does taking a local over an interstate kid.

Interesting that GWS bid on Darcy at 2 and when it was matched then chose Callaghan.

Daicos wasn't bid on until pick 4 by GC.
I believe it was a positional thing. Hogan had barely played any consistent footy, Riccardi was way off it, didn't have Cadman and had just lost JC.
They wanted a tall forward and when they couldn't get it went onto Callaghan who was just the most talented (after Daicos).
As to why they didn't bid on Daicos, I guess the same reason North didn't.
I think the Giants would have been stoked to actually get Darcy positionally though, that's what I think the idea was

Question to knowledgeable types:
In the Twomey top 30, there’s 3 rucks in the 20’s/30 or so. Green, Edwards and Goad.

Who, if any of those should we consider drafting with a one of our later picks?

Of them, who is the most physical and imposing? That seems to be the type that Clarko favours.

In the Twomey top 30, there’s 3 rucks in the 20’s/30 or so. Green, Edwards and Goad.

Of them, who is the most physical and imposing? That seems to be the type that Clarko favours.

Edwards looks to improve our overall stats more so than Green but Xerri is above them both significantly.

What the below data represents is the increased/decreased average any give player adds to NM as an average.

Considered column titled 'Drafted Player Average' to mean 'Increased/Decreased team average' it's the new player data averaged into the playing squad as it sits right now.

Fielding Xerri rather than Edwards or Green is a much better option 'statistically' speaking in the short term.

Higher the number, the more probable any given player has at improving the overall list.

Xerri - 0.52
Edwards - 0.45
Green - 0.27

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 12.55.33 pm.png Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 12.56.18 pm.png

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 1.15.28 pm.png

Do you want to watch the draft and think "Who would Souup pick?"?
Do you want to understand the actual draftee implications of a six dimensional pick swap?
Do you want to jump with joy when Sydney unexpectedly picks George Topwhistle and you can see who that means we can get?
Or do you just want to get way too nuffy into all this for no good reason at all?

My annual "Draft Tracker" spreadsheet is for YOU.

--
Instruction are inside but summary is:

Before the draft:
  • List the players you would like us to pick in column D (careful not to mess up the conditional formatting if you copy-paste).
  • My understanding of other people's rankings are in N, O, P, Q (Souups top 10 just in 'guess' order)
  • Correct the North picks in AI9:13 if there are any pick swaps.

Draft night:
  • Mark off the pick numbers people are selected in column F.
  • There is automatic handling of tied players assuming all are matched.
  • The "worst case" North selections according to each pundit are highlighted.

This year I also added some basic "list balance" info on the right for reference but it doesn't autoupdate with picks.

Enjoy!
A great amount of work. You’ve got a touch of the Herald Sun’s though and put in Lance Collard twice (pick 23 and 27)

I think @ 18 we will take Edwards or Green.

If Darcy Wilson goes at 15 we should be all over him. Another developing hard runner would be amazing.

I really rate Windsor, but I don't see any scenario where he gets picked before Wilson.

I also don't understand the love for Charlie Edwards, I don't think his game transitions well into the AFL, he isn't a big strong bash and crash inside mid and he isn't all that damaging on the outside, his height is his point of difference but fellow tall mids Clay Hall and Joel Freijah are far superior to him and have better athletic profiles.

I know they all can't fit, but it's interesting that in his top 30 he doesn't have the following players:

Joel Freijah, Clay Hall, Arie Schoemaker, Angus Hastie, Jack Delean, or Lual Luamon

Always appreciate your insights RF8.

Going off nothing but champs videos, I can understand your position on Edwards as a mid, but could you see him making it as defender? I liked his decision making and use by foot.

Also, it interests me that you seem much more into Hastie than most, but not into Roberts and Edwards. Do you think that is about rating kicking v Hastie’s run and carry? Reason for asking is that Hastie’s game v Dragons look great is many respects but he went at circa 20% by foot. In contrast, Roberts and especially Edwards looked really good by foot. But that’s obviously a very small sample size.

Appreciate your thoughts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be a pretty good night if we are able to nab Mckercher Duursma at 2 & 3 before getting Murphy at 15.
Murphy at pick 15, whatever that works out to be on the night, would be awesome.

Ideally a half back and/or small forward thereafter with the remaining two picks.

Maybe Archie Roberts.

Not sure there’s a tall forward of value there to look at too.

Whichever one can double as a key forward.
Then we can have them playing early into their career and also filling a need on field.

Murphy at pick 15, whatever that works out to be on the night, would be awesome.

Ideally a half back and/or small forward thereafter with the remaining two picks.

Maybe Archie Roberts.

I feel like clarko will be playing Drury as our small forward this year. The kids working too hard in the offseason not to be pushing for a senior spot.
From memory he was quite good at the position at junior level.

Maybe Archie Roberts.

Rather schoenmaker at 15

I feel like clarko will be playing Drury as our small forward this year. The kids working too hard in the offseason not to be pushing for a senior spot.
From memory he was quite good at the position at junior level.
Used a lot as the finisher regarding the set plays for goal kicking in the last couple months at training.

Last edited:
Edwards looks to improve our overall stats more so than Green but Xerri is above them both significantly.

What the below data represents is the increased/decreased average any give player adds to NM as an average.

Considered column titled 'Drafted Player Average' to mean 'Increased/Decreased team average' it's the new player data averaged into the playing squad as it sits right now.

Fielding Xerri rather than Edwards or Green is a much better option 'statistically' speaking in the short term.

Higher the number, the more probable any given player has at improving the overall list.

Xerri - 0.52
Edwards - 0.45
Green - 0.27

View attachment 1837549View attachment 1837548

View attachment 1837558
Bored these days Luffy?

Xerri - 0.52
Edwards - 0.45
Green - 0.27

View attachment 1837549View attachment 1837548

View attachment 1837558
can I just understand your method here? you aggregate all stats for a player across all competitions? So for example if a player in the draft pool plays Coates, national championship and the odd VFL game, all those stats contribute to each performance category (kicks, handballs etc)?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back