Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

NORTH MELBOURNE

Draft picks after trade period: 2, 3, 15, 17, 18, 57, 82

The Kangaroos had one go at trading up for West Coast’s pick 1 during the trade period by offering a suite of later first-round picks, but left with the understanding that they would likely need to part with at least one of their top-three picks – likely along with another single-digit selection – to get a deal done. If an agreement can’t be reached with the Eagles and North Melbourne misses out on Harley Reid, it can still secure two high-end players at the pointy end of the draft after receiving pick 3 as free agency compensation for Ben McKay. The Kangaroos are believed to be interested in mid-sized forward Zane Duursma if they hold onto their current selections, while midfielder Colby McKercher and versatile key-position player Daniel Curtin would also be in the mix. North is also well placed later in the first round to snap up any potential sliders.

Bold by the dogs. Trading away 3 first round picks for Watson seems insane to me, especially when their midfield is starting to age. Talk about selling the farm.

In saying that a forward line of below looks supremely talented.

Watson, Ugle-Hagan, Darcy
Weightman, Naughton, Jones

Just need a new Coach

Always appreciate your insights RF8.

Going off nothing but champs videos, I can understand your position on Edwards as a mid, but could you see him making it as defender? I liked his decision making and use by foot.

Also, it interests me that you seem much more into Hastie than most, but not into Roberts and Edwards. Do you think that is about rating kicking v Hastie’s run and carry? Reason for asking is that Hastie’s game v Dragons look great is many respects but he went at circa 20% by foot. In contrast, Roberts and especially Edwards looked really good by foot. But that’s obviously a very small sample size.

Appreciate your thoughts.

I could definitely see Edwards as a half back. He is the right size to be a third tall type. Some small snippets suggest he is pretty solid overhead too. He has transferable skills, but if I'm taking a kid in the teens I want him to be proven in that position.

The reason why I'm so big on Hastie is his physicality and competitiveness, I think he ends up a Brayden Maynard type at AFL level. So many flankers in juniors can accumulate the footy, but don't have good defensive nous. Hastie has good balance between his offensive and defensive craft. He is also a natural interceptor, strong hands and can take a contested mark. I did watch the game against the Dragons and that was probably one of his worst displays of the season by foot, that's definitely not the standard, Hastie generally sets.

Don't get wrong, Roberts is a nice kick and he is an attacking half back but he has a lot to work on regarding his defensive craft and physicality. I don't think he ends up being a half back at AFL level, I think his skill set and athletic profile is more suited to playing on a wing at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

E
Plays like CCJ hmmm...
God, that's a terrible graphic. They should throw a couple of extra fonts and angles in there. Maybe use some Italics. Exciting.

That said I like the profile of Reid but comparisons to not only CCJ but... Hipwood. Doesn't inspire confidence. Has future Jack Darling written all over it.

The one BIG criticism I have of him is his lack pf physicality. He has some growing to do, but far too often he was out positioned by other kids who he had 10+cm on. Also drops his head really quick when things aren't going his way.

NORTH MELBOURNE

The Kangaroos had one go at trading up for West Coast’s pick 1 during the trade period by offering a suite of later first-round picks, but left with the understanding that they would likely need to part with at least one of their top-three picks – likely along with another single-digit selection – to get a deal done. If an agreement can’t be reached with the Eagles and North Melbourne misses out on Harley Reid, it can still secure two high-end players at the pointy end of the draft after receiving pick 3 as free agency compensation for Ben McKay. The Kangaroos are believed to be interested in mid-sized forward Zane Duursma if they hold onto their current selections, while midfielder Colby McKercher and versatile key-position player Daniel Curtin would also be in the mix. North is also well placed later in the first round to snap up any potential sliders.

With all the assistance we have received and the holes in our list we need to fill, if we were to walk into draft night with something like 1, 3 and 17 i will be bitterly disappointed.

God, that's a terrible graphic. They should throw a couple of extra fonts and angles in there. Maybe use some Italics. Exciting.

That said I like the profile of Reid but comparisons to not only CCJ but... Hipwood. Doesn't inspire confidence. Has future Jack Darling written all over it.
So if we draft him he'll be a spud but a premiership player?

With all the assistance we have received and the holes in our list we need to fill, if we were to walk into draft night with something like 1, 3 and 17 i will be bitterly disappointed.
Yep, given 2 3 & 15 were ours to begin with. Our assistance would sum up to getting in Fisher & Stephens. Pretty much on par to last years.

Same. One of Reid or McKercher sounds great. We might be on the path to get the former from P2 so let the chips fall where they may and grab a heap of talented kids with the picks we have. Don’t trade up up P1.

A future 270+ game, 500+ goal kicking fwd?

NORTH MELBOURNE

Pick 1..
2a8d736946c054f89c0ec28f414b9ffd.gif

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back